Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
If Kylington isn't drafted by the end of the first round I would definitely use one of our seconds and a prospect to move up so we have a better chance of getting him. We could do that for Sprong too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This draft will be a lot more interesting than the 2014 draft for sure.

Having 6 top 90 picks in the draft will definitely have me looking who we pick in the 2nd round. I'm pretty excited.

And the best part is, we only have to wait around 6 weeks for this to happen rather than 10. Last year waiting for the draft was the worst. Just think about it... We played 4 more weeks of hockey in exchange of moving down 2 spots from the draft. LA saw no 82+ hockey and are only drafting 2 ahead of us :laugh:.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Sutter is that you? :sarcasm:

:laugh: no both are just intriguing to me because they are both RHD and incredibly good players. But If we got Roy in the first round and then Carlo in the second round that would be awesome. I know some people aren't too high on Carlo but he is a super big guy and could be NHL ready very soon. Other guys I would want to check out in the second round are Wagner, Kylington, Kolesar, Pilon, Sprong, and Rasmus Andersson

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I would rather wait and see if Kylington falls into our hands in the second round and then we could take a risk with him. I don't really see a need for drafting a LW in the first round. We already have great depth on LW in our system. We should really address our weaknesses in our system. I think Jeremy Roy would best help our system. RHS dmen ( which we desperately need more of) with top 4 ceiling. I think picking up a LW in the second round would be a good idea though.

I wouldn't worry about LW depth if svech is the BPA. Klimchuk has been playing a lot of RW anyways. it'd be nice having wing depth of
gaudreau - XXXXX - poirier
svechnikov - XXXXX - Klimchuk

although jeremy Roy fits like a glove aswell, i just want BPA.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Just a list of guys I'd want to target in the later rounds.

Tim McGauley. He's 19 (almost 20), won't likely be drafted until one of the final rounds if he is. He's a late bloomer, and if he's still around by round 5 or 6, I'd take him.

Colin White. Likely a 2nd round guy. Moves the puck well, smart with the puck. Can play center or rw, right hand shot. If he's still around, I'd be tempted to use that 1st 2nd round pick the Flames have to get him.

Daniel Sprong. Seems similar to Poirier, so that's a plus. RW, right hand shot.

Christian Fischer. Big RW, can play center if needed. He's the ideal gritty 3rd line grinder type.

Daniel Vlader. I know nothing about him, but having Vader in net? Yes please.

Colton White. Smart defense first dman.

Erik Cernak. Big dman, right hand shot.

Ryan Shea, who I think could be one of the biggest steals in this draft.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind Svechnikov, but not at 15th overall. I think there are better options that also fit the Flames needs.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Could see Kylington being the next Saad.

Do hope the Flames take the 'otherspoon in the second or third.

8056.gif

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Just a list of guys I'd want to target in the later rounds.

Tim McGauley. He's 19 (almost 20), won't likely be drafted until one of the final rounds if he is. He's a late bloomer, and if he's still around by round 5 or 6, I'd take him.

Colin White. Likely a 2nd round guy. Moves the puck well, smart with the puck. Can play center or rw, right hand shot. If he's still around, I'd be tempted to use that 1st 2nd round pick the Flames have to get him.

Daniel Sprong. Seems similar to Poirier, so that's a plus. RW, right hand shot.

Christian Fischer. Big RW, can play center if needed. He's the ideal gritty 3rd line grinder type.

Daniel Vlader. I know nothing about him, but having Vader in net? Yes please.

Colton White. Smart defense first dman.

Erik Cernak. Big dman, right hand shot.

Ryan Shea, who I think could be one of the biggest steals in this draft.

Don't think White will be around in the 2nd at all. He has some things about him that add to his value and lots of teams need now and in the future. RHS, RW with size and two-way ability. He would be a guy I would target in the first. Sprong has some of those qualities too so I think he is a first round talent, but if I'm not mistaken he has some character/off ice issues? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways if that's true he still could be in similar position to Ho-Sang last year with the questions about character but he still went in the first.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Don't think White will be around in the 2nd at all. He has some things about him that add to his value and lots of teams need now and in the future. RHS, RW with size and two-way ability. He would be a guy I would target in the first. Sprong has some of those qualities too so I think he is a first round talent, but if I'm not mistaken he has some character/off ice issues? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways if that's true he still could be in similar position to Ho-Sang last year with the questions about character but he still went in the first.

If anyone can fix character issues its Hartley. I think he falls into the second round because of those issues and then we can steal him. Great player we could use

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't see Sprong falling out of the the 1st round. He has character issues, but the skill is there. Rich man's version of Ho-Sang for sure. Just like the Isles in 2014, hopefully the Flames trade up to snag another 1st. Won't be surprised that we make a splash by either trading up with 15th OA or go after another 1st rounder later on in the round with Treliving as our GM.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Howabout Kyle Connor? He is in that range and if someone likes other guys above him then he could drop a few spots. I like Sprong too.

I wouldn't select Vlader in the first round. The only goalie I'd imagine being a late 1st or early second is Samsonov or possibly Blackwood.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I really think Kylington is going to be worth the gamble. Even if we have to trade down a few and then grab him. We could potentially get a 2nd round pick and then package that in another trade for a late first rounder.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I really think Kylington is going to be worth the gamble. Even if we have to trade down a few and then grab him. We could potentially get a 2nd round pick and then package that in another trade for a late first rounder.

You can't trade down because Red Wings fans want Kylington too :) We can teach defense.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If Kylington is available at 15, Flames need to take him and not look back. Crazy thing is, he might still be on the board and that mid-season injury will likely keep him out of the top ten.

I wouldn't even consider it a gamble, not at 15. The injury will give some teams pause, but I think he's getting horribly underrated by some mock drafts.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I agree with what Stewie said. You just can't pass up what could be the most offensively gifted D-man in the draft in many peoples opinion at #15 if you can get him. I just don't know why he is falling so hard? He got hurt. Things like that happen. He is still young enough and growing for it not to be a concern moving forward. He also bounced around quite a bit this year.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wouldn't mind Svechnikov, but not at 15th overall. I think there are better options that also fit the Flames needs.

I've heard that Svenchnikov is extremely one dimensional almost like Sven, can anyone comment on this? I'd really like one of Ek-Eriksson, Roy or Chabot. It would be great if a guy ranked consistently before we picked was available. The second round will be even more interesting.

Trae

Calgary
Could see Kylington being the next Saad.

Do hope the Flames take the 'otherspoon in the second or third.

This is outstanding, I have been wanting to draft him all year, but now I really want to draft him just so that nickname becomes relevant!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is outstanding, I have been wanting to draft him all year, but now I really want to draft him just so that nickname becomes relevant!

I know, it's fantastic. Would make for such a great pairing.

Credit to joeyabs who penned it first (that I saw anyway).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3.Hanifin
4.Marner
5.Strome
6.Werenski
7.Provorov
8.Rantanen
9.Barzal
10.Crouse