Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So, even though we are two games away from be in the Cup Finals, Derek Stepan still doesn't cut it for people as a #1 center.

I like Stepan and don't want to see him traded, but that doesn't mean that this team wouldn't be improved if we had Getzlaf or Kopitar instead. Of course, there's always the cap hit to consider, and with Richards likely to be bought out, there's no way that Stepan should be going anywhere. Still, Stepan hasn't shown yet that he can consistently produce like a #1 center.

He's still young enough that he can continue to grow into that role, but we should still be on the lookout for ways to upgrade the position.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
So, even though we are two games away from be in the Cup Finals, Derek Stepan still doesn't cut it for people as a #1 center.

correct. hes slow, soft and rather bland.

where we are doesnt change who he is.

hes a good 2c with faster wingers. hes a smart kid with good hands but hes painfully plodding most of the time.

we need some size down the middle and someone who can push the puck with speed.

Vidic15*

So happy that the Isles gave up their chance to possibly draft McDavid. Tavares and McDavid as your 1-2 opening up your new arena in Brooklyn would have given me nightmares.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
So happy that the Isles gave up their chance to possibly draft McDavid. Tavares and McDavid as your 1-2 opening up your new arena in Brooklyn would have given me nightmares.

Tavares-Strome-Draisaitl down the middle could still be pretty good.. :laugh:

Now they've also got Halak, and Reinhart should be ready next year too. Looks like the rivalry might heat up again just in time for their arrival in Brooklyn.

Or they could, you know, keep being the Islanders.

Vidic15*

Now they've also got Halak, and Reinhart should be ready next year too. Looks like the rivalry might heat up again just in time for their arrival in Brooklyn.

Halak is mediocre. Blues fans are saying the same thing. Sure, he's an improvement, but that doesn't say much.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Random question....I know Sonny Milano is from Nassau county, anybody know if he grew up NYR or NYI fan?

From a previous post:

Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
Don't know if it matters or not but Sonny Milano is huge Islanders fan. I know that after the prospects are drafted they should become pros and loyal to the team that drafts them, but maybe his heart wouldn't be in it if he was drafted by the Rangers. Sort of like JVR and the Flyers.

Now his skating could help him reach the big time, like the Islanders he idolized growing up: Tim Connolly, Zigmund Palffy, Jason Blake.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...raft-1.6824495

All things equal, he is a top offensive talent.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I like Stepan and don't want to see him traded, but that doesn't mean that this team wouldn't be improved if we had Getzlaf or Kopitar instead. Of course, there's always the cap hit to consider, and with Richards likely to be bought out, there's no way that Stepan should be going anywhere. Still, Stepan hasn't shown yet that he can consistently produce like a #1 center.

He's still young enough that he can continue to grow into that role, but we should still be on the lookout for ways to upgrade the position.

hes a good 2c with faster wingers. hes a smart kid with good hands but hes painfully plodding most of the time.

Agreed. I have said for a long time that this team is missing a true top pairing offensive D and a #1C. Much to my pleasant surprise, McD really does appear to have evolved into that top-5 all-around #1D who brings it in all aspects of the game and not just a smooth skating defensive guy. And I have high hopes for Skjei in the pipeline. The one glaring need for this team now is at C, both on the big club and throughout the organization. Step is a very solid player, but he is not the dynamic 1st line center this team could really use.

I will never waver from my belief in BPA, but the team needs to be focusing all of its efforts on finding ways to acquire more youth with upside at the C position, whether it's making draft day maneuvers to grab them at the right picks or swapping assets to get them after the fact.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

He's bland, but he's great defensively and good offensively.

He's a good 1C. We can use a GREAT 1C, sure, but he's a good 1C. Not a 2C.

When you're spending the money we are on Hank, and will be on McD and Kreider and Zuke and Nash and MSL and everyone else, you make due with what you have. Obviously we'd be better with Kopitar- every team in the league would. But Step is a very good player who constantly drives plays up the ice and breaks up plays down the ice. We're lucky to have him.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
The NYR need big skilled forwards but also need a true PMD and PPQB. With us possibly picking last or next to last in each round of this year's draft, do you see the NYR taking a chance on Anthony DeAngelo. An offensively skilled defenseman but also a bit of a head case. Originally predicted to go in the 1st round but due to his personal issues a lot of people see him dropping into the 2nd or even the 3rd round. High risk, high reward. I would definitely take a chance and Sather does love bad boy reclamation projects.

What do you guys think?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/29/nhl-draft-profile-29-anthony-deangelo/

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Rangers still have their 2nd round pick this year correct? The pick moved in the St. Louis deal became a first when the Rangers made it to conference finals right?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The NYR need big skilled forwards but also need a true PMD and PPQB. With us possibly picking last or next to last in each round of this year's draft, do you see the NYR taking a chance on Anthony DeAngelo. An offensively skilled defenseman but also a bit of a head case. Originally predicted to go in the 1st round but due to his personal issues a lot of people see him dropping into the 2nd or even the 3rd round. High risk, high reward. I would definitely take a chance and Sather does love bad boy reclamation projects.

What do you guys think?

Mine as well. Go for potential boom picks.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

What do you guys think?

Some really bad attitude issues, but the skill level is undeniable. I wouldn't be surprised if he was off some teams' draft boards in general. I also wouldn't be surprised if ours was one of them - we generally go for character in our draft picks.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So what draft picks does the team still have for this and next draft?

We have...
2nd (either 57 or 59 or 60)
3rd (either 87 or 89 or 90)
4th (either 117 or 119 or 120)
5th (122)
6th (either 177 or 179 or 180)
7th (either 207 or 209 or 210, the last pick in the draft--But not too sure if this 7th is LA's due to the Carcillo trade)

What do you guys think?

He's an extreme head case, more put. Loads of issues off the ice, but yes the talent is there. If we were to go the PPQB/OFD route, I would look more into Honka or Dougherty. Maybe even Siebenaler in the 3rd? I like DeAngelo, but not as a 1st rounder for us. If we were to snag a 1st I'd want a forward (preferably center) or Honka.

Two quick notes though...

- I know he's a two-way defender, but I'm liking Josh Jacobs the more I hear about him. He's smart, strong, and closes off lanes while also making clear cut passes. He, although, sometimes has mental lapses, but that could be worked on. Solid late 2nd/3rd round pick, but may not be there till then.

- I get the feeling that the Rangers are grabbing another goalie in the later rounds. Just a hunch though. (Signs point to Igor Shestyorkin?)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Watched the Memorial Cup on DVR. Some kids stood out.

Don't know if he's worth a 2nd, but I was impressed by Phil Baltisberger in the Memorial Cup. Not a ton of upside, but looks like he has the makings of a long pro career as an NHL or Pro defenseman. Mistake free type of defenseman. Does his job type of player. Didn't log heavy minutes for a powerhouse team, but was very effective for Guelph who had a really dominant season.

Another guy I was impressed with is Kulda from EDM Oil Kings, passed by once already, but is another player that contributes in all 3 zones and does the little things to win. Both kids played a very mature game at the Memorial Cup and Kulda deserved the MVP.

Ryan Gazzola: Very good junior player... maybe turns into a Tom Poti type of player. Game isn't suited to today's NHL, but if he had three extra gears, people would be hyping him up like crazy.

Couple of drafted or signed prospects that look legit:

Ryan Graves also played very well. Doesn't stick out, but does his job. Big kid, and covers a lot of the ice. The level of competition at this tourney is about as high as you can get in juniors without taking the WJC-20 into consideration. Played very well... definitely a good pick up.

Curtis Lazar... yeah he's really good. Complete player, size, speed, grit, scoring, plays 200 feet, RH shooting center. He'll play in the NHL next year.

Henrik Samuelsson: Ulfie's kid has a bright future ahead of him. Gritty, smart, and can make plays.

Griffin Reinhart: Hate to say it, but the Isles have their version of Marc Staal in this kid. I don't think he'll post big numbers but I am pretty confident that he can play top 4 minutes next year for them and not be overwhelmed. Reinhart and Hamonic will be a very very good shutdown pair.

Robbie Fabri: 2014 eligible, not flashy but definitely skilled. Will be one of those guys that goes in the teens in the 1st round, and spend two years in juniors and some time in the AHL and become a player that HF hypes up after some other kids get rushed in three years time. Slick playmaker.

Mitch Moroz: A shock that EDM has a decent pick out of the top 3... beefy forward... not much hand skill but a bull of a player... should turn out to be a very effective bottom 6 player.

Scott Kosmachuk: Ryan Callahan type of player.. gives it his all, don't know if he can play this way in the pro leagues, but he has the makings of a very good 3rd liner.

Anothony Mantha: If he is a by product of being bigger than everyone else with his skill, you have at least an Eric Daze... which is both good and bad news... he's probably another Eric Daze. If Daze wasn't always injured, he would have been a John Leclair type. Will score on the PP. Reminds me of Tim Kerr without the grit.

Cody Corbett: Will have a pro career.. another understated mistake free type of player.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

They did a good job of bringing up Strome slowly... I watch a lot of AHL games live in the NY/CT area, and out of the young centers that played in the AHL that region, Strome was the best.

This past season had a couple of young kids as No 1 centers in the Northeast AHL teams, including JT Miller, but Strome was by far and away the most dominant one. A real fun player to watch, wheel house playmaker, and just oozes hand skill, hockey sense with a dynamic skating ability, he can flat out embarrass the less fleet of foot defensemen.

After Strome I'd say Weal, Vey, Miller, Namestinkov, Khoklachev, and Pageau are all knocking on the door as far as young centers in the AHL Northeast go.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
We have...
2nd (either 57 or 59 or 60)
3rd (either 87 or 89 or 90)
4th (either 117 or 119 or 120)
5th (122)
6th (either 177 or 179 or 180)
7th (either 207 or 209 or 210, the last pick in the draft--But not too sure if this 7th is LA's due to the Carcillo trade)

He's an extreme head case, more put. Loads of issues off the ice, but yes the talent is there. If we were to go the PPQB/OFD route, I would look more into Honka or Dougherty. Maybe even Siebenaler in the 3rd? I like DeAngelo, but not as a 1st rounder for us. If we were to snag a 1st I'd want a forward (preferably center) or Honka.

Two quick notes though...

- I know he's a two-way defender, but I'm liking Josh Jacobs the more I hear about him. He's smart, strong, and closes off lanes while also making clear cut passes. He, although, sometimes has mental lapses, but that could be worked on. Solid late 2nd/3rd round pick, but may not be there till then.

- I get the feeling that the Rangers are grabbing another goalie in the later rounds. Just a hunch though. (Signs point to Igor Shestyorkin?)

I didn't mean 1st round pick. People are saying he might slip to 2nd or 3rd. I think he would be a good high risk high reward pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
With the release of FC's draft guide, their mock Draft has us picking Kamenev with the 59th pick. Assuming he's on the board would people be happy with him or is the 'russian factor' to much of an issue?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
With the release of FC's draft guide, their mock Draft has us picking Kamenev with the 59th pick. Assuming he's on the board would people be happy with him or is the 'russian factor' to much of an issue?

I wouldn't mind Kamenev depending on who's still available. He has the talent to be a higher pick. If he's committed to playing in NA then all the better. I think we've seen many good Russian players come over with no problems lately, the KHL factor doesn't scare me unless the player says he wants to play there over NA.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The idea that we should go for boom-or-bust picks when we lose our 1sts seems sort of counter-intuitive to me.

Seems as though we should pick a low risk player so that we're certain we get something, rather than nothing out of the draft.

DeAngelo is a very interesting player. I'd put a big red flag up on fellow projected 2nd round PMD Gavin Bayreuther here at the University. He's good, but at 20 years old and with most of the offense signing/graduating, he's not 2nd round good.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It'll be interesting to see how far DeAngelo slides. Too skilled to drop out of the top-60, IMO, but I've seen crazier things happen at the draft.

Question is, if he's there when we pick in the 2nd, can the team pass him up? At that point I'd be hard pressed to believe he isn't the BPA. Not to mention fills a major organizational need.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
The idea that we should go for boom-or-bust picks when we lose our 1sts seems sort of counter-intuitive to me.

Seems as though we should pick a low risk player so that we're certain we get something, rather than nothing out of the draft.

DeAngelo is a very interesting player. I'd put a big red flag up on fellow projected 2nd round PMD Gavin Bayreuther here at the University. He's good, but at 20 years old and with most of the offense signing/graduating, he's not 2nd round good.

Maybe he can be signed as a UFA next year. Why use a pick on him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i take the bpa available when we step up irregardless of position or where he was born.

trying to draft for need with an 18 year old kid and an organization in a constant state of flux is tough. we can always find room for a talent irrespective of what position he plays.

if its the bps and a head case or a step down talent wise and a solid character kid, i take the safer kid. attitude problems are hard to correct and a kid who has that baggage has a whole different set of things to overcome.

look at what was said about jt miller. not a good thing.

given we have nothing higher than our 2nd this year, i draft mr kamenev if hes there. hes a kid with late 1st round skills and believe it or not, a pretty safe pick. his overall game is pretty developed.

hes a big LH centerman @ 6'2 200 who can play a solid 2 way game. good playmaker and smart. hes an excellent penalty killer and plays sound positional defense. hes got a well rounded game. captained the iihf u18 team which says alot.

we need to interview the heck out of him and get a real feel for his intentions. given the recent number of russian kids who have come over and are already playing major junior, i think the bogus "russian factor" is lessened.

no question, hes my guy in the 2nd round.

hes similar to anisimov in many ways with his solid defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad