Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
Another guy I'd be interested to take with our first pick would be Ben Thomas. We need som hard hitting guys that still can put up some numbers

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I can take hot and cold with a young player, the allure is the skills, you bank on him getting his game together as he grows.

Who are your 3 ? Karabacek, Lernout, and Sanheim?

Why not bank on that, right?

Sanheim, Kamenev, Donato.

#99 (LOL) Kamenev was under the eye of Mike Keenan at Metallurg, who also retired Jan Marek's # (DYK??) The guy is basically Barbashev, if Barbashev stayed in RUS. Donato's got top 10 hands and patience with the puck and is really physical; he doesn't give 100% though and I'm not comfortable saying it's because of competition.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Why not bank on that, right?

Sanheim, Kamenev, Donato.

#99 (LOL) Kamenev was under the eye of Mike Keenan at Metallurg, who also retired Jan Marek's # (DYK??) The guy is basically Barbashev, if Barbashev stayed in RUS. Donato's got top 10 hands and patience with the puck and is really physical; he doesn't give 100% though and I'm not comfortable saying it's because of competition.

Until I hear from anyone that Kamenev has the desire to play in NA, I'm not sold on him as a 1st rounder. He was drafted #3 overall in the KHL draft so they might try to keep him there. Of course they said similar things about Nikushin, but he actually was upfront about playing in NA.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Until I hear from anyone that Kamenev has the desire to play in NA, I'm not sold on him as a 1st rounder. He was drafted #3 overall in the KHL draft so they might try to keep him there. Of course they said similar things about Nikushin, but he actually was upfront about playing in NA.

while i dont agree with your concern about coming over, i will say i wouldnt be worried as kamenev wont go in round 1.

the only 2 russian kids going in round 1, imo, and both are playing major junior now. kemenev , were he here already, might join that group making it 3 but since hes back home, he goes 2nd maybe early 3rd round.

hes an impressive player that is mostly unknown outside of those weird draftnik types :naughty: who watch alot of euro junior and khl hockey. kyle woodlief mentioned him awhile back i remember.

lots to like about a big 17 yr old pivot with wheels, hands, vision, shot and 2 way compete level.

potential 2nd round prize with 1st round skillset.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If we end up keeping our 2nd, I want Vlad Kamenev. There is the russian factor with him, but he has 1st round talent and will be in the KHL next year with Metallurg. If we get Kamenev in the later rounds, just like how Buchnevich fell, that would be ecstatic.

But I would hope to trade up for a 1st rounder.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Agreed. I have no interest in Kamenev in the second. Maybe in the third, but we can't afford to use our second on a guy who may never come over.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Has anyone seen anything of potential OA drafts Richard Nejezchleb or Chance Braid? Both play in the WHL.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Has anyone seen anything of potential OA drafts Richard Nejezchleb or Chance Braid? Both play in the WHL.

The Czech player came over to NA last year and got hurt, but has played well this season leading his WHL club in goals. Got a big frame, just turned 20, attended Penguins rookie camp last September.

Braid's game is raw, but man can he throw'em. Attended Caps camp last September.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What do you guys think of Edgars Kulda as a later round pick? He's in his 2nd year of eligibility, but the announcers for the Mem Cup game last night believed he would be drafted this year. I liked the way he played last night and thought he had a good game, but I don't know anything else about him. Well, other than his stats and that he's from Latvia, a veritable hockey hotbed of late ;)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
What do you guys think of Edgars Kulda as a later round pick? He's in his 2nd year of eligibility, but the announcers for the Mem Cup game last night believed he would be drafted this year. I liked the way he played last night and thought he had a good game, but I don't know anything else about him. Well, other than his stats and that he's from Latvia, a veritable hockey hotbed of late ;)

He came over from Latvia last year, took a year learning the style of play. Now he's outplaying some guys who were former high draft picks. the LW's skilled, but he plays a two way NA game, leading that memorial cup series with a +11. I could see him being one of the top 60 picked, 2nd rounder.

Here's a recent article, deals with some tragedy and gives you a feel on how the Oil Kings organization/fans have taken to him:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/pl...ries-of-fallen-former-teammate-165756836.html

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He came over from Latvia last year, took a year learning the style of play. Now he's outplaying some guys who were former high draft picks. the LW's skilled, but he plays a two way NA game, leading that memorial cup series with a +11. I could see him being one of the top 60 picked, 2nd rounder.

Here's a recent article, deals with some tragedy and gives you a feel on how the Oil Kings organization/fans have taken to him:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/pl...ries-of-fallen-former-teammate-165756836.html

Thanks Blue. 2nd round? I didn't get the impression that he would go that high, since he's ranked 145th among NA skaters. Has he been charging up the ranks over the last month and a half?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Thanks Blue. 2nd round? I didn't get the impression that he would go that high, since he's ranked 145th among NA skaters. Has he been charging up the ranks over the last month and a half?

He's been one of the best two way players in all of the CHL playoffs, plus he's older which means some teams might think he's closer to making an NHL squad than some of the others listed ahead of him. Just a guess based off the buzz he's been getting.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
do we seriously think about trading our first this year and package that pick with an asset and look to pry away a young impact centerman who can step into a top 6 role ?

is there a guy out there ready to play thats available ?

does that make sense ? i think it may.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
do we seriously think about trading our first this year and package that pick with an asset and look to pry away a young impact centerman who can step into a top 6 role ?

is there a guy out there ready to play thats available ?

does that make sense ? i think it may.

we dont have a 1st in 2014 or 2015.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So, even though we are two games away from be in the Cup Finals, Derek Stepan still doesn't cut it for people as a #1 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad