Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I didn't mean 1st round pick. People are saying he might slip to 2nd or 3rd. I think he would be a good high risk high reward pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Oh yes, absolutely!

With the release of FC's draft guide, their mock Draft has us picking Kamenev with the 59th pick. Assuming he's on the board would people be happy with him or is the 'russian factor' to much of an issue?

I'd like Kamenev there, but I think he's going to drop to the early 3rd for some reason. Which, then, we should maybe trade up to get him. It all really depends on who's there at that time, but yes I'd like a nice 1st round talent in the later rounds, please!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I wouldn't mind Kamenev depending on who's still available. He has the talent to be a higher pick. If he's committed to playing in NA then all the better. I think we've seen many good Russian players come over with no problems lately, the KHL factor doesn't scare me unless the player says he wants to play there over NA.

Looks like he may not only be committed, but will be here sooner rather than later:

"I want to come here next season and my agent is currently in talks with team management in Magnitogorsk and I hope they will let me come here," Kamenev told NHL.com through interpreter Natalia Taran.

Rostyslav Saglo, who serves as Kamenev's agent in the KHL, confirmed for NHL.com that conversations have been ongoing with Magnitogorsk with regard to his contract. He said a decision should be rendered within the week.

"We are working on the termination of his contract and Vlad does want to play in North America next year in order to get closer to his dream of playing in NHL," Saglo wrote in an email. "We believe that he'll get a better development and more ice time on your side of the ocean, which is crucial at his age."

Doubt he ever makes it to our selection with that going on. If he gets out of his contract before the draft, which it seems like he will, then he'll go in the first round, IMO.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
and the "russian factor" continues to crumble. all these young russians dream of playing here.

this guy has legit skills and hes not your typical "biased anecdotal lazy russian kid". he brings with him a very strong 2 way game.

i doubt he will still be there when we come up.

everyone is looking for their vlad tarasenko now. russians may be back on the map :nod:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Tarasenko is looking like a good value pick, Nail Yakupov not so much.

The Kovalchuk incident might be an issue for some as well. Not to mention Burmistrov's defection.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
And Filatov.. Petrov.. Radulov.. etc.

The unfortunate reality is that getting them to stay is as much of a part of the stigma as getting them to come over.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I love that this thread was made when we sucked at the outset of the season, and that we've left the title untouched all year. It's like a good luck charm. :)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Looks like he may not only be committed, but will be here sooner rather than later:

Doubt he ever makes it to our selection with that going on. If he gets out of his contract before the draft, which it seems like he will, then he'll go in the first round, IMO.

Yeah if he's really committed I'd expect him to go mid to late first. Maybe higher, who knows. This is a draft with no clear front runners after the first few picks.

And Filatov.. Petrov.. Radulov.. etc.

The unfortunate reality is that getting them to stay is as much of a part of the stigma as getting them to come over.

Meh, I'll raise you a Dats, Malkin, Ovechkin, Markov, Tyutin, Anisimov, Tarasenko, Voynov, The Bob, The Bryz, Semin, Kulikov, Sobotka, Grabovski, Varlamov, Emelin, and more coming ;)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm not touching the thread title. I made the title ironically back then thinking that we'd rebound and make the playoffs, but I never thought we'd be 4 wins away from winning it all.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah if he's really committed I'd expect him to go mid to late first. Maybe higher, who knows. This is a draft with no clear front runners after the first few picks.

Meh, I'll raise you a Dats, Malkin, Ovechkin, Markov, Tyutin, Anisimov, Tarasenko, Voynov, The Bob, The Bryz, Semin, Kulikov, Sobotka, Grabovski, Varlamov, Emelin, and more coming ;)

Sobotka is Czech ;).

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So the Rangers are going to be picking at the end of round 2 this year. What players could be around then that could be of interest? Any chance they might try to move up into the first or early second?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So the Rangers are going to be picking at the end of round 2 this year. What players could be around then that could be of interest? Any chance they might try to move up into the first or early second?

I would hope for them to try to move up, but at that spot (either 59 or 60) I'd say guys like Josh Jacobs, Oskar Lindblom, Vladislav Kamenev (I hope), and some others. Just a few that rattle off the top of my head for now.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
meh. its the end of a long season. pullups are weird in that once u can finally do one its pretty easy to improve quickly and do a lot.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
correct. hes slow, soft and rather bland.

where we are doesnt change who he is.

hes a good 2c with faster wingers. hes a smart kid with good hands but hes painfully plodding most of the time.

we need some size down the middle and someone who can push the puck with speed.

Wow! A painfully honest analysis and right on target!

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
I may be alone, but depending on the circumstances, I would view a poor combine performance as a positive.

A poor showing could mean that the player does not work hard enough to keep himself in a comparable physical condition as his peers. On the other hand, it could be the case that the player is simply physical immature. If the player is physically immature and you believe he will be able to add the muscle later on, you're left with a guy who is likely performing at a high level on the ice despite being physically outmatched by his peers. If he catches up physically, look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad