Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah I'm just as confused with the placement of the pick as most of you are as well. I figured the website I posted earlier was incorrect.

I think we can get a 1st round either this year or hopefully next year, regarding on who we trade. I'd prefer it to be Nash, but who knows? Who cares? Game 7 baby!! LGR!!!!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Fun fact: Adrian Kempe is one of the youngest with a September birthday close to the cutoff.

He has SHL experience already and is a budding playmaking PF.

I like Kempe a lot. If the Rangers do not make history tomorrow, along with Larkin and Scherbak, Kempe would be a nice consolation prize.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Fun fact: Adrian Kempe is one of the youngest with a September birthday close to the cutoff.

He has SHL experience already and is a budding playmaking PF.

I like Kempe a lot. If the Rangers do not make history tomorrow, along with Larkin and Scherbak, Kempe would be a nice consolation prize.

You'd think with his size and skill he wouldn't last that long. I'm hoping he does, he's one of my top faves as well if he's there when/if we have a first.

I'm going on record to say it'd be worth losing the pick to knockout the Pens after they were up 3-1.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd be surprised to see Kempe available beyond #15. Kid has all the tools, and he could very well end up being a steal. Guys who can be a shutdown center while not being relegated to the 3rd line are a very hot commodity.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You'd think with his size and skill he wouldn't last that long. I'm hoping he does, he's one of my top faves as well if he's there when/if we have a first.

I'm going on record to say it'd be worth losing the pick to knockout the Pens after they were up 3-1.

Given the torture they have given us the past 25 years, I agree.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'd be surprised to see Kempe available beyond #15. Kid has all the tools, and he could very well end up being a steal. Guys who can be a shutdown center while not being relegated to the 3rd line are a very hot commodity.

His playmaking skills are very nice too, good hands and finds open lanes.

Like Mauro said, he's also one of the youngest prospects in the draft, born Sept. 13th ! :D

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
Man if we loose our first rounder this year it means three years in a row without a first rounder

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I guess the other thing is now it definitely would have been #26 at best. So there's that.

No chance of Kempe, Honka, Tuch, Milano at #26.

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
So, who do we like in the 2nd round?

There's a lot of good D prospects in the second round.

Jack Glover, Brycen Martin, Alexis Vanier, Alex Peters, Marcus Pettersson, Aaron Irving, Aaron Haydon

I really like both Alexis Vanier and Aaron Irving.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Julius Bergman piques my interest a bit. 6'1 and 197lbs. RHD with solid skating ability and very good on-ice awareness. Can rush the puck and make a nice outlet pass. I think there's some untapped offensive upside there.

This draft is wide open though. I think we'll see some sliders and surprise picks, so who knows who will be there when we pick?

Dysin Mayo and Aaron Irving are also two guys to keep an eye on as 3rd/4th rounders. Both play for the Oil Kings and both are righties. Irving is a physical D with a big shot who had a strong start offensively, but absolutely fell off the map in the 2nd half. Mayo was pretty even throughout the year, but had a very strong playoff run with 12 points in 15 games.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Alexis Vanier is a potential 2nd I'm interested in. Big, mobile, rough, offensive d-man.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Alexis Vanier is a potential 2nd I'm interested in. Big, mobile, rough, offensive d-man.

If he had any kind of mobility, he'd be a sure-fire top-20 pick. He's an absolutely dreadful skater and his balance isn't much better. Edge work is poor and his pivots are terrible. He's a total project. You'd really have to hope that his footwork is just a result of him growing into a huge frame too quickly.

I could see a team really rolling the dice on him in the 3rd, but I doubt he goes in the top-60.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
So, who do we like in the 2nd round?

Some names to throw out there:

NA: Vaclav Karabacek, speedy LW playing in QMJHL, Gavin Beyreuther, offensive LH Dman St Lawrence U, Brett Lernout, 6'4 tough RH Dman WHL, Travis Sanheim, big LH Dman WHL, Ryan Donato, LH Center headed to Harvard, Ryan Collins 6'5 RH Dman headed to U of Minn, Aaron Irving, RH Dman WHL, Luke Philp, two way RH Center, WHL.

Europe: Russian LW Vlad Kamenev, Three top Czech players Ondrej Case is a small scoring forward, Dominik Masin is a tough LH Dman, Pavel Jenys is a C/LW power forward.

Julius Bergman piques my interest a bit. 6'1 and 197lbs. RHD with solid skating ability and very good on-ice awareness. Can rush the puck and make a nice outlet pass. I think there's some untapped offensive upside there.

This draft is wide open though. I think we'll see some sliders and surprise picks, so who knows who will be there when we pick?

If anyone slides I hope its Jakub Vrana, but that's just wishful thinking.

I like Bergman, big kid with nice skills. Add him and his Frolunda teammate William Lagesson as two possible 2nd/3rd round picks.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If he had any kind of mobility, he'd be a sure-fire top-20 pick. He's an absolutely dreadful skater and his balance isn't much better. Edge work is poor and his pivots are terrible. He's a total project. You'd really have to hope that his footwork is just a result of him growing into a huge frame too quickly.

I could see a team really rolling the dice on him in the 3rd, but I doubt he goes in the top-60.

The games I've seen him his lateral strides weren't bad, maybe I just haven't watched him enough.

His balance is pathetic, you're right. Worse balance than Boyle. Also no acceleration to his game. He's a project but one I'd be willing to take on, moreso if he was right handed.

Still think his size keeps him in the 2nd round, maybe the 3rd.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

NA: Vaclav Karabacek, speedy LW playing in QMJHL, Gavin Beyreuther, offensive LH Dman St Lawrence U, Brett Lernout, 6'4 tough RH Dman WHL, Travis Sanheim, big LH Dman WHL, Ryan Donato, LH Center headed to Harvard, Ryan Collins 6'5 RH Dman headed to U of Minn, Aaron Irving, RH Dman WHL, Luke Philp, two way RH Center, WHL.

Europe: Russian LW Vlad Kamenev, Three top Czech players Ondrej Case is a small scoring forward, Dominik Masin is a tough LH Dman, Pavel Jenys is a C/LW power forward.

If anyone slides I hope its Jakub Vrana, but that's just wishful thinking.

I like Bergman, big kid with nice skills. Add him and his Frolunda teammate William Lagesson as two possible 2nd/3rd round picks.

Karabacek is very interesting. Hot and cold, but when he's hot he looks like a first round pick pushing top 15.

I can count atleast three of those guys as most likely first rounders.

Funny, I don't even think people know Lernout is a first year draft eligible. No one ever talks about him with Honka there in Swift Current (Martin to a degree).

Galvatron

Right here and now, boy
Mar 22, 2006
PNW

How about Nick Magyar or Shane Eiserman in that group? Both have size and are reported to be good skaters.

I know the argument for not drafting for need, but I think they need to take a forward with their first pick.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Karabacek is very interesting. Hot and cold, but when he's hot he looks like a first round pick pushing top 15.

I can count atleast three of those guys as most likely first rounders.

Funny, I don't even think people know Lernout is a first year draft eligible. No one ever talks about him with Honka there in Swift Current (Martin to a degree).

I can take hot and cold with a young player, the allure is the skills, you bank on him getting his game together as he grows.

Who are your 3 ? Karabacek, Lernout, and Sanheim?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
How about Nick Magyar or Shane Eiserman in that group? Both have size and are reported to be good skaters.

I know the argument for not drafting for need, but I think they need to take a forward with their first pick.

Magyer has a good chance of going in the first round. If not he'll be a top 15 for the 2nd round. When he has open space he burys the puck, excellent finisher and has a great feel from the faceoff circle in.

I could easily see Eiserman as our pick if he's there, he's headed to Gordie Clark's Alma mater U of New Hampshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad