Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
Will add my thoughts on the guys coming up this season in a bit, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling

If we are selling, then any and every effort should be made on the 15 draft for McDavid. This kid is really something. We were robbed of cry baby by Bettman. I personally believe that McDavid will be better then cry baby. This kid at 16 could very well be playing in the NHL right now and be performing.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Obviously too early to tell, but it looks to be a rather deep first round. There is no clear cut top 3 like there was last year, but I would say that there isn't as much of a drop off from the top guys to the next tier as there was in 2013's first round.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I believe Ekblad is a RD, so that fills a need, especially if they don't want to commit the money to bring back Girardi.

Reinhart is a center although I don't know if he projects to that position as a pro.

Both needs of the organization at this point in time.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
We won't be drafting this high. We just need more Blue Jackets. Package our 1st and an under performer so far, say Stepan, for Boll, Umberger, and Nikitin. Maybe add Lundqvist for Bobrovsky or if we really want that 2008-2012 Blue Jackets feel we can do Lundqvist to the Flyers for Mason.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I believe Ekblad is a RD, so that fills a need, especially if they don't want to commit the money to bring back Girardi.

Reinhart is a center although I don't know if he projects to that position as a pro.

Both needs of the organization at this point in time.

We won't be bad enough for a real shot at the top 3, it's just not what the Rangers do. But if we really continue our bad play, we might have a chance at the 5-10 range. I really hope we can grab Leon Draisaitl. He has size, he can score and he plays LW, which is a big need (even more with Richards bought out next season). And most importantly he's German, so that might increase interest and exposure for the Rangers over here ;)

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
We won't be bad enough for a real shot at the top 3, it's just not what the Rangers do. But if we really continue our bad play, we might have a chance at the 5-10 range. I really hope we can grab Leon Draisaitl. He has size, he can score and he plays LW, which is a big need (even more with Richards bought out next season). And most importantly he's German, so that might increase interest and exposure for the Rangers over here ;)

What league is he playing in this season?

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
It's sad that I have to actually look at this thread in October and take the top 5 seriously.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Playing for Prince Albert of the WHL.

Don't know where people are getting this "we won't be bad enough to draft top 5." Have you seen this team?

Yes, but I just can't imagine this team with Lundqvist, Nash and that defense (on paper) really challenging for last in the league. And really it's just not Rangers style. They hardly ever suck bad enough. One top 5 pick in 47 years is a testimony of that.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
WHL. But if the LW is a positional need, I'd suggest Michael Dal Colle is a better option than Draisaitl. If Dal Colle is available when you pick. He'll go TOP 5.

too similar to michael dal zotto for me.... same number of letters in the name. i feel bad juju.

pass :laugh:

Championship*

Yes, but I just can't imagine this team with Lundqvist, Nash and that defense (on paper) really challenging for last in the league. And really it's just not Rangers style. They hardly ever suck bad enough. One top 5 pick in 47 years is a testimony of that.

Well, in a perfect world they sell at the deadline so they wouldn't have those players. In a perfect world....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
too similar to michael dal zotto for me.... same number of letters in the name. i feel bad juju.

pass :laugh:

LOL. Funny! never made that connection.... but Rangers should have never kept him as a teenage... how many failed D-men (after rookie success) are we going to have see before GMs wake the **** up. It should be automatic. Unless you're Bobby Freakin Orr I don't care what you are, or where you were drafted, you are going back to junior.

Del Colle is a player though.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Well, in a perfect world they sell at the deadline so they wouldn't have those players. In a perfect world....

They should sell, but they shouldn't sell the core. We shouldn't look for a full out rebuild, that doesn't make sense. There are some good pieces there. You don't sell Lundqvist unless there's no chance to keep him. You don't sell Nash either. We should keep most of the defense, maybe trade Girardi (or Staal if he doesn't want to stay) if you get a good return. Get rid of the dead wood like Pyatt, Moore (he returned 2nd rounders regularly at the deadline), Boyle etc. and play the kids.

And then in the summer draft high and smart, buy out Richards, look which prospects can step in and make maybe one key UFA signing (Vanek) and that could be enough for a good retool. We should decide whether AV really is the right coach until then as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad