OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
After living in the south for almost three months now....

Everybody says "y'all". Don't think I ever will.

I am beginning to recognize that some of the words I say sound weird like water, talk, coffee, etc as soon as they come out of my mouth.

People who move away from NY can't talk bad about it unless they are talking to people who also moved away. Otherwise y'all :) sound bitter.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

It depends on where you live. When I lived in Atlanta, on the north side of town, it wasn't so much. So many people there are transplants. My accent has basically neutralized, although I do hold some of my northeast pronunciations (syrup, pajamas, etc). I do carry most of the NY colloquialisms still. If you didn't grow up saying "y'all", you probably won't pick it up and continue to say "you guys" like a normal human being.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It depends on where you live. When I lived in Atlanta, on the north side of town, it wasn't so much. So many people there are transplants. My accent has basically neutralized, although I do hold some of my northeast pronunciations (syrup, pajamas, etc). I do carry most of the NY colloquialisms still. If you didn't grow up saying "y'all", you probably won't pick it up and continue to say "you guys" like a normal human being.

Interesting that your accent has neutralized. I also never noticed the pronunciations of words are also vastly different in some aspects. I will never say y'all. It feels too forced.

Greenville is about a two hour drive to Atlanta. Went to the aquarium there last week and it was insane.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I am beginning to recognize that some of the words I say sound weird like water, talk, coffee, etc as soon as they come out of my mouth.

People who move away from NY can't talk bad about it unless they are talking to people who also moved away. Otherwise y'all :) sound bitter.

I've been out of the state for 11 years now and in a place where 50% of the population does say "y'all" and I have not adopted it. I think it sounds ridiculous.

My accent is pretty much non-existent I'm told. People recognize my wife is from New York but then ask me where I'm from. Drawer is the one that still gets me though, it's just "draw" for me.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Interesting that your accent has neutralized. I also never noticed the pronunciations of words are also vastly different in some aspects. I will never say y'all. It feels too forced.
Well, I lived in Atlanta for 30 years, so everything leveled off as I became a teenager. You do notice little things that I learned to say in the northeast that are different (like I said, syrup, pajamas, caramel, route, etc), but the accent is generally non existent at this point. It's the little things like soda vs coke, or tag sale vs yard sale, or shopping cart vs buggy, or stuffing vs dressing.

Greenville is about a two hour drive to Atlanta. Went to the aquarium there last week and it was insane.
I just visited over Labor Day and took my daughter to the aquarium and had a great time. Took her to her favorite pizza place downtown, aquarium, World of coke, then sushi for dinner. Atlanta is a fun city with lots to do. Just got too big and too much of a hassle for me to live there anymore at my age. Moved out west in June.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Well, I lived in Atlanta for 30 years, so everything leveled off as I became a teenager. You do notice little things that I learned to say in the northeast that are different (like I said, syrup, pajamas, caramel, route, etc), but the accent is generally non existent at this point. It's the little things like soda vs coke, or tag sale vs yard sale, or shopping cart vs buggy, or stuffing vs dressing.
Soil, auxiliary, tournament... among others always expose me...

The new Ken Burns' America in the Holocaust is excellent.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Where do you watch Isles games without cable/verizon?
There's also fubotv. As a person who travels, or needs to watch things flexibly (including on my phone sometimes), I think it's more convenient than cable. Cheaper too. I can suspend it on the offseason, which also helps.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Everyone here must watch Red Army on Starz. Actually showing today at 248p. Story of Fetisov and the Russian hockey team . I won’t give it all away . Great documentary for us hockey fans .. I promise you won’t be able to shut it off.. LGI

Reactions: Mike C

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

My week at work down here I asked - "where are you guys going to happy hour later?"
They stared and pointed - "you're not from down here, huh?" I was immediately outted as a northerner lol.

My in-laws are full on y'all people and I've tried it out to fit in.

Also, there is a strange phenomenon on social media where y'all has gained a ton of steam in memes. I don't really understand it.

Hope you're enjoying Simpsonville!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
My week at work down here I asked - "where are you guys going to happy hour later?"
They stared and pointed - "you're not from down here, huh?" I was immediately outted as a northerner lol.

Also, there is a strange phenomenon on social media where y'all has gained a ton of steam in memes. I don't really understand it.

Simpsonville is great. Looking to buy something in Simpsonville/Easley type of area. As the golf season is on its end in NY we are still full swing out here which is awesome.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Everyone here must watch Red Army on Starz. Actually showing today at 248p. Story of Fetisov and the Russian hockey team . I won’t give it all away . Great documentary for us hockey fans .. I promise you won’t be able to shut it off.. LGI
I've seen it a time or two. GREAT flick. I felt Fetisov still has that air of smugness about him

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

I love it when there are 2 of us and they ask how y'all doing?

I say "all both of us are fine"

Or

When they ask "how many" when we walk into a restaurant

My first thought is " how the f*ck many do you see "

I know I've mellowed (or the happy pills are working) because I don't say it out loud like I want to

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Or

I know I've mellowed (or the happy pills are working) because I don't say it out loud like I want to
Bless your heart and have a nice day!

• Haha
Reactions: beach and Mike C

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise

To be fair, tons of people go into restaurants and are "still waiting for a friend" when they ask for a table. The host is told to ask.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Or

In New York City “ youknowimsayin” is a popular one word phrase amongst the turnstile jumping sort as is “gimmedolla” and “whatdaf@#$$&#@#$#@#$$lookinatbit#$”

6 more years I have to go to the Big Toilet . I mean Big Apple . Then “weout “

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad