OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I said that when I left 30 plus years ago. Talked to my retired NYPD buddy on 9/11. He lives in Staten Island now but says the whole 5 boroughs are bad

Bratton and O'Neill leaving in quick succession tells you pretty much all you need to know about the biggest problem in the 5 boroughs these days. Before you would see cops around, now one wonders what's the difference between a retired NYPD & an active NYPD. It's just obvious - cops aren't around anymore, and when they are they're in their cars. They run, by far, the biggest racket in the city.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Bratton and O'Neill leaving in quick succession tells you pretty much all you need to know about the biggest problem in the 5 boroughs these days. Before you would see cops around, now one wonders what's the difference between a retired NYPD & an active NYPD. It's just obvious - cops aren't around anymore, and when they are they're in their cars. They run, by far, the biggest racket in the city.
I asked him about the mayor Adams I thought he was all about law and order. He said Adams has no say in anything which kinda surprised me. He said the problem is in the District Attorney offices.

Whatever the issue, I'm glad I'm not there. Not to say that the Charlotte area doesn't have its issues (carjacking has become a big thing in the last year or two) but we do see cops all over and I do feel more or less protected

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I asked him about the mayor Adams I thought he was all about law and order. He said Adams has no say in anything which kinda surprised me. He said the problem is in the District Attorney offices.

Whatever the issue, I'm glad I'm not there. Not to say that the Charlotte area doesn't have its issues (carjacking has become a big thing in the last year or two) but we do see cops all over and I do feel more or less protected
Lol, that's pretty funny after 8 years of blaming the Mayor. There's always someone to blame.

The biggest & most visible issue, by far, is homelessness. In most parts of the city, the hype regarding crime massively overstates the actual increase.

Also trash is a big issue. Trash collection *everywhere* have become significantly less reliable, particularly in parks. It's gotten a little bit better in the last few months, but it's still a problem. The cause is the same reason I see businesses cutting back hours everywhere in the country - staffing. If y'all live in places that have completely avoided this post-COVID problem, G_d bless you.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I
Lol, that's pretty funny after 8 years of blaming the Mayor. There's always someone to blame.

The biggest & most visible issue, by far, is homelessness. In most parts of the city, the hype regarding crime massively overstates the actual increase.

Also trash is a big issue. Trash collection *everywhere* have become significantly less reliable, particularly in parks. It's gotten a little bit better in the last few months, but it's still a problem. The cause is the same reason I see businesses cutting back hours everywhere in the country - staffing. If y'all live in places that have completely avoided this post-COVID problem, G_d bless you.
I remember one of my jobs was to deliver audio clips to 3 local radio stations in the overnight hours for the morning sports. This is early/mid 80s

Most nights I would cab it but sometimes I'd walk and pocket the company's cabfare for my breakfast of egg mcmuffins and bloody Mary

Even then, the trash and rats were all over the place. I literally had to walk in the middle of the street past some places

I would often say " there's nothing like the smell of garbage at 4 in the morning"

Sad to hear it's gotten worse. I left when David Dinkins was mayor

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sad to hear it's gotten worse. I left when David Dinkins was mayor
It's not even close to that level, much less worse. 90s NYC is a narrative that won't die. It's like the Vietnam/culture wars - people have a penchant to shove everything to that narrative, warping reality in the process. It's just not as good as it was in the pre-pandemic years. Also, parks have seen massive use through the pandemics (people were avoiding meeting indoors), and the parks dept just hasn't kept up. Imo we'd have been in much better shape with a Mayor Garcia (basically a nuts and bolts administrator with a very strong managerial reputation - think Bloomberg without the Napoleon complex), and I don't think that's a provocative opinion.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte

Lol cops in Charlotte are a joke

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I said that when I left 30 plus years ago. Talked to my retired NYPD buddy on 9/11. He lives in Staten Island now but says the whole 5 boroughs are bad
Crime is out of control in nyc. Been working nights in the city there is no cops anywhere in midtown when there used to be a lot. One quick story since I’ve seen lots of disturbing things in Manhattan since working nights. One guy starts jerking off on a park bench in the middle of the night with women walking right by him. Someone calls the police they take him away. In a about an hour he’s in the same exact spot harrasing women. How he was not arrested I have no idea. I can’t wait to leave but gotta work a couple years so I can collect my pension.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Crime is out of control in nyc. Been working nights in the city there is no cops anywhere in midtown when there used to be a lot. One quick story since I’ve seen lots of disturbing things in Manhattan since working nights. One guy starts jerking off on a park bench in the middle of the night with women walking right by him. Someone calls the police they take him away. In a about an hour he’s in the same exact spot harrasing women. How he was not arrested I have no idea. I can’t wait to leave but gotta work a couple years so I can collect my pension.

Oh man this sounds like the 80's in NYC or at least trending that way. Hey the 80's was pretty good for the Islanders....

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I decided to leave when I was on the subway one time and it was me and some vagrant the only ones in the car. I was on one end and he was on the other. He kept lighting himself on fire and putting himself out with his floppy hat. Took me 6-12 months to physically make the move but the decision was made right then and there. Until I left, I paid 9 bucks/day round trip for the express bus to and from work.

Oh man this sounds like the 80's in NYC or at least trending that way. Hey the 80's was pretty good for the Islanders....
80s good for the Isles, bad for the commuters. John Rocker had it dead on in his depiction of the NYC subway system in that sports illustrated rant

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I decided to leave when I was on the subway one time and it was me and some vagrant the only ones in the car. I was on one end and he was on the other. He kept lighting himself on fire and putting himself out with his floppy hat. Took me 6-12 months to physically make the move but the decision was made right then and there. Until I left, I paid 9 bucks/day round trip for the express bus to and from work.
I had a similar experience in the early 90's only it was me and one woman. She was defecating and smoking crack at the same time.

I often wonder what she's up to these days.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They should send that guy to Martha's Vineyard....

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
80s good for the Isles, bad for the commuters. John Rocker had it dead on in his depiction of the NYC subway system in that sports illustrated rant

That ain't it, chief.

A reminder of what Rocker actually said:

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners." Then there's the experience of riding a New York City subway: "Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark … next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

This was during Giuliani's 2nd term as mayor, in case anyone needs a reminder.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That ain't it, chief.

A reminder of what Rocker actually said:

This was during Giuliani's 2nd term as mayor, in case anyone needs a reminder.
I rode the GG to Fort Greene in mid 70s. Took many a trip on the 7 to Shea in the 80s. Granted I was gone in mid '90. I did get the date of the article wrong but my premise holds that his description of my subway riding career is pretty accurate from my experiences Guiliani or not!

Good to see you out here. Reminds me to play some Sam Robert's Band in the car. I have about an hour's drive coming up in a few

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I rode the GG to Fort Greene in mid 70s. Took many a trip on the 7 to Shea in the 80s. Granted I was gone in mid '90. I did get the date of the article wrong but my premise holds that his description of my subway riding career is pretty accurate from my experiences Guiliani or not!

Good to see you out here. Reminds me to play some Sam Robert's Band in the car. I have about an hour's drive coming up in a few
Just goes to show how klan types can come from anywhere.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad