OT: Off-Topic Thread Episode VII: No Loungin', Bae

Status
Not open for further replies.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Only movies I've seen so far this year is American Sniper, Jump Street 21, and Street 22.

Oh, and I'm watching Interstellar tomorrow.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
REVIEWS OF MOVIES I SAW IN 2014 - PART 1

i-frankenstein-poster-ftr.jpg

I, Frankenstein: 3/10
Decent for what it offered, and Aaron Eckhart is always fun, but Bill Nighy is phoning it in like nobody's business and the effects are shoddy at best. Plus, Jai Courtney. But Eowyn was in it, so the movie had that going for it. The story is very Underworld-like, with the typical "Monster X vs Monster Y" plot that AVP and the aforementioned Underworld series has made so common over the years. All in all, this movie is barely decent, but I didn't go see it in theatres. I currently do own it - on Blu-Ray 3D.

the-lego-movie-poster1.jpg

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It seemed to have a lot going for it, despite my not sitting in an optimal location in the theatre that I viewed it in. Pre-stardom Chris Pratt (although not for much longer) shined in his role, sparkling animation and Morgan Freeman, oh, Morgan Freeman, made this movie a joy to watch, despite the fact that I don't own it.

The-Monuments-Men-movie-poster.jpg

The Monuments Men: 7/10
I don't have much to say about this film, since it came out in February and I seem to recall watching it at roughly 11 PM. However, I own it, and remember liking it, so a 7 it gets. Also, any movie starring both Damon and Clooney is a must for me, although this one does lack one suave Brad Pitt. John Goodman can fill in affably, I guess, though. It seemed to work.​

mr-peabody-sherman.jpg

Mr. Peabody and Sherman: 4/10
I have no recollection of this film, at all. Upon further viewing, I know why. It's not the most memorable of films, as it's pretty by-the-numbers, as far as movies go.​

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
REVIEWS OF MOVIES I SAW IN 2014 - PART 2

66854cc23c89a02a1422664648.jpg

Divergent: 6/10
Ho-hum, another YA movie. It was ok, I suppose, and I'd watch it again, but nothing really stuck out for me. I'll take the Hunger Games, even Maze Runner. Let's hope the sequel breaks new ground.

08-captain-america-the-winter-soldier.jpg

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 9/10
I love me some political action, and Cap 2 didn't lack any of that. Featuring a stellar Scarlett Johansson and a brilliant casting choice in Robert Redford - how perfect was he in that role? - The Winter Soldier delivered in every single way. Great action choreography, a stellar score and Georges St. Pierre made this my third-favourite film of the year.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 2.5/10
A totally disappointing movie, which I own. It doesn't stop it from being a letdown.

HTB1oefmFVXXXXbeXFXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg

Godzilla: 9.5/10
One of my favourite movies of the year, Godzilla features a mouth-agape Ken Watanabe who is one of my favourite actors, and Aaron Johnson. No, not that former Flame Aaron Johnson. Also, Bryan Cranston is awesome. I own this movie on Blu-Ray.​

May 27, 2012
Earth
I didn't find it propagandish at all, really.

They didn't glorify Kyle at all, I mean they extensively went through how he ruined his family's life for about 10 years, until he finally called it quits; they even showed him having severe PTSD and the effects it had on him.

After all, the movie is called "American Sniper", you had to expect a majority of the movie to be showing his killings and him in the Iraqi War.

What Kyle did was very respectable and honorable, but I too wouldn't call him a "hero". Based on the movie, he was a big reason on why a child was drilled to death by a bit and his father shot to death; he was the reason on why his fellow soldiers died on the top of the roof.

I cannot go into detail otherwise my post will be edited or deleted, because I might offend people or be too political. I would be more specific if it wasn't the case.

What he said didn't make it onto the screen. “I only wish I had killed more."

He also says this

"Kyle's actual enemies were less defined. As seen here, any Iraqi man between 10 and 60 isn't middle-aged but "military-aged" — i.e., a threat. Kyle seemed to think that of every Muslim, writing in his book, "I don't shoot people with Korans. I'd like to, but I don't." (That, too, Eastwood deletes.)

Last edited:

bWo*

I cannot go into detail otherwise my post will be edited or deleted, because I might offend people or be too political. I would be more specific if it wasn't the case.

What he said didn't make it onto the screen. “I only wish I had killed more."

He also says this

Wow that's horrible, did not know that

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Last few films I've watched:

gal_mob_millers-crossing.jpg

Miller's Crossing: 7.5/10

Nice tight Coen bros. crime thriller but doesn't hold up as well as I thought it would.

14_05_dune2_event.jpg

Jodorowsky's Dune: 7/10

Very enjoyable if you're interested in the filmmaker or the possibilities of what could have been if Hollywood had backed this crazy and beautiful fever dream. Otherwise, could have used a bigger animation budget.

Jackie-Brown.jpg

Jackie Brown: 9/10

Gets better with time. This may very well be Tarantino's best film after Pulp Fiction.

an_enemy.jpg

Enemy: 9/10

Absolutely brilliant and the best Canadian film since Goon. A very subtle and smart study in creeping totalitarianism.

ac081da3-18c7-43b4-b538-b6d2b86bd3b3-620x372.jpeg

The Interview: 2/10

Even though it looked cringeworthy in the previews, I had high hopes for this because I love dumb Rogen movies and This is the End/Pineapple Express were so entertaining. But not only was it cringeworthy it was just absolutely bereft of any laughs.

Nightcrawler-poster-excerpt.jpg

Nightcrawler: 5/10

I have no idea why so many people thought this was good. I found it middling, vacuous, and poorly edited. Would have been edgy in the 90s, but the screenplay felt stale and irrelevant. Good advert for Dodge Chargers though.

american-sniper_612x380.jpg

American Sniper: 0/10

While the box office loves a trumped up war hero story, history will not be kind to this obscenely dishonest bit of desperate propaganda.

10169_5.jpg

The Unknown Known: 9/10

As with The Fog of War, a must watch for anyone interested in foreign policy/the machinations of the military-industrial complex. Very challenging film. And quite eerie too, given that Rumsfeld is so likeable.

guardians-galaxy-movie-trailer-humor.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy: 9.5/10

Was gobsmacked that this lived up to the hype. An almost flawless popcorn film and immensely entertaining.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
apparently that famous torrent website that was taken down a month or so ago is back up!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So right after the game tonight I had a beer league game. Tonight was interesting: I got to experience for the first time a slapshot from a metre away hitting the back of my calf. Then half an hour later when I got back on the ice, I deked through a guy's legs, and he kicked my skates out as I went past. I don't know how, but I managed to do a full somersault and land on the back of my neck, which kind of tingled a little bit, but was surprisingly pain-free.

The blocked shot really bugged me, though. The guy's linemates were going off and he was just crossing centre. I was right in front of him and right between him and the net. He wound up and I assumed he was shooting it in, but then he just wired it right at my leg as my skates were turned to the inside. As for my calf, I'm going to enlist the help of Ilya Bryzgalov to describe it:

[collapse=text]
bryzgalov-humongous-big-450x293.jpg
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
hip-hop heads, I need your help.

I've been on a kick where I am ummmmm acquiring some new music, I have pretty much all the old **** that I like (18k+ songs, all Rap & R&B) but I want to know who the newer artists I should check out are. Some suggestions would be great.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
hip-hop heads, I need your help.

I've been on a kick where I am ummmmm acquiring some new music, I have pretty much all the old **** that I like (18k+ songs, all Rap & R&B) but I want to know who the newer artists I should check out are. Some suggestions would be great.

Chance the Rapper
J-Rock
Schoolboy Q
Danny Brown
Drake:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad