tumblr_n4ra60H5W41rkoffro1_400.gif

May 27, 2012
Earth
I saw it and it was pretty good. Not great, but not bad either.

Also, :shakehead to the people who left when they were showing Kyle's funeral. I don't care if he's a different nationality, it's very disrespectful.

I agree, but not to make this too political/ controversial but the movie was more of propaganda movie. They were glorifying a guy who had 160 confirmed kills. Even though there were terrorists in the country he generalized them all and called them "savages". He enjoyed killing people. “Maybe war isn't really fun, but I certainly was enjoying it.” That was from his autobiography. I mean...who enjoys war? Too defend your country is noble, but to enjoy going to war is a bit much.

[mod]

I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wrote a paper on psychopathy back in college for my psychology class, there are certain situations or professions that allow psychopaths to remain hidden in our society. These are positions of power that these cases seek out. Policeman, school teachers, military etc. They allow people that would be classified as psychopaths to enter the workforce and not really be exposed for who they truly are because of their profession. Now before some of you say I'm being extreme, it should be noted that you can be a psychopath without being a serial killer. In fact, not only do these people live among us, but in some cases they actually thrive in their role in society. While I have not seen Sniper, from what I've heard this would be a classic example. This guy is glorified as a war hero, while he clearly has zero remorse about killing humans and in fact he enjoys it. Rambo would be another fictional but comparable example.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I watched a bunch of movies over the past weak, some newer, some not as new. I shall play film critic as I know everyone wants my opinion :sarcasm:

A Million Ways To Die In The West - 6/10
Twas stupid, very stupid; but I expected as such so that doesn't kill the grade that much. The casting of Liam Neeson as the antagonist was fantastic, as was the casting of Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Seyfried and NPH in their supporting roles. But I just can't get on board with Seth MacFarlane as a lead and I am not a fan of Charlize Theron either, although I will admit she was better than I expected in a comedic role.​

Big Hero 6 - 5/10
It was much darker than I expected from a Disney cartoon, I was expecting something light and goofy about the fat robot. Instead it's a darker tale about death and revenge. While it has plenty of goofy moments I just was not prepared for it. Had I known it was darker before watching I would have probably enjoyed it more.

The Best Of Me - 8/10
Nicholas Sparks is to romance what George Carlin is to comedy. The Best of Me is another in a long line of Nicholas Sparks movies that are among the best romantic movies ever. The reason why this movies is so good, like most Nicholas Sparks movies in my opinion is that the story is mostly believable and is as much heartbreaking as it is romantic. This one centers around Amanda (Michelle Monaghan/Liana Liberato) and Dawson (James Marsden/Luke Bracey) former high school sweethearts that are now estranged and have lived their own lives, but the death of someone that practically raised them throws them back together to deal with their past. Much of the movie is flashbacks telling the tale of their past.​

The Book Of Life - 7/10
I knew nothing when I went to it other than it was a cartoon. I quite enjoyed it. It made me laugh and it had it's sad moments too. It's an interesting tale around Mexico's day of the dead.​

Bound - 2/10
A dark story about a women who gets into the BDSM lifestyle and chooses the wrong dominant as a master. While I have not read 50 Shades of Gray, they seem to be blatantly playing off it's popularity and rather blatantly. The catch phrase on the picture on IMDB even says "No Grey. Only back and white." Not to mention the acting was subpar with Charisma Carpenter as the lead. The only thing that stops this from getting 1 out of 10 is Carpenter still has a great body and you see all over it.​

Cake - 8/10
No a Jennifer Aniston fan and I didn't think she would pull off this role, but she did. She plays a drug addicted, self destructive woman who was banished from her support group but becomes obsessed with a member who had killed themselves shortly before her departure from the group.​

Dear White People - 6/10
This was more serious that I was expecting, but it was still pretty good. A story about a race riot on a university campus and the events that let up to the riot. I like that they used a mostly lesser known castl with Tyler James Williams (everybody Hates CHris) being the most known and in a role like nothing I have seen him in before. For some reason I thought this would movie would be funnier, had I known what I was getting into it may have been a 7 or 8.​

The Fault Of Our Stars - 7/10
It's along the same premise as every other movie where the main character is dying and they fall in love. But I don't mind, dying teenagers deserve to fall in love too right? I like that the lead characters are more "normal" than in other movies, both physically and in personality. There is some funny moments too and they take the time to laugh at cancer which is great. The secondary cast was great especially Willem Dafoe, I can't say too much about him though without playing spoiler. It's a good movie, albeit a chick flick.​

Gone Girl - 8/10
I hate Ben Affleck but he did not detract from this movie. It centers around a man whose wife goes missing and he becomes the focal point of the investigation. This is a really well written story that even Affleck couldn't ruin, with plenty of twists and darkness. I want to say more about it but I don't want to give any spoilers.​

Lucy - 6/10
Scarlett Johansson in all her sexiness :heart:. I really didn't know what to expect going in except it was about a girl name Lucy who used more of her brain than the average person. The movie is much more intelligent than I was expecting, I would put it up there with Inception in that regard. I think this is a movie where if you watch it 2, 3, 4 (or more) times and you keep understanding it a little more.​

Menace II Society - 10/10
I am biased as it is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the cast, I love the story, I love the violence and I love the soundtrack. O-Dogg (Larenz Tate) is one of my favorite character ever. All I have to say is....... What you say about my momma?

Two Night Stand - 8/10
Maybe it's a guilty pleasure movie for me, but I really enjoyed it. A young sexy woman named Megan (Analeigh Tipton) is trying to get over her ex decides to try online dating and after a ****** night she decides to go have her first one night stand. She ends up meeting the goofy Alec (Miles Teller) and going to his place for a fun night. After an awkward goodbye they realize that the city is snowed in and they are stuck together for at least another day. It's pretty funny in my opinion and it's one you can enjoy more than once.​

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wrote a paper on psychopathy back in college for my psychology class, there are certain situations or professions that allow psychopaths to remain hidden in our society. These are positions of power that these cases seek out. Policeman, school teachers, military etc. They allow people that would be classified as psychopaths to enter the workforce and not really be exposed for who they truly are because of their profession. Now before some of you say I'm being extreme, it should be noted that you can be a psychopath without being a serial killer. In fact, not only do these people live among us, but in some cases they actually thrive in their role in society. While I have not seen Sniper, from what I've heard this would be a classic example. This guy is glorified as a war hero, while he clearly has zero remorse about killing humans and in fact he enjoys it. Rambo would be another fictional but comparable example.
This is actually a pretty common opinion that I agree with 100%, although I prefer sociopath :naughty:

But being a sociopath allows one to make tough decisions that make it easier for them to rise up the ranks of various professions. Police, Military, doctors, CEOs and Lawyers are the occupations that stand out to me as a breeding ground for these people. And it may not even be a bad thing, for example if a doctor isn't a bit of a sociopath then if he loses someone on the table it's going to **** him up, they sometimes need to be able to not feel it.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I watched a bunch of movies over the past weak, some newer, some not as new. I shall play film critic as I know everyone wants my opinion :sarcasm:

A Million Ways To Die In The West - 6/10
Twas stupid, very stupid; but I expected as such so that doesn't kill the grade that much. The casting of Liam Neeson as the antagonist was fantastic, as was the casting of Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Seyfried and NPH in their supporting roles. But I just can't get on board with Seth MacFarlane as a lead and I am not a fan of Charlize Theron either, although I will admit she was better than I expected in a comedic role.​

Big Hero 6 - 5/10
It was much darker than I expected from a Disney cartoon, I was expecting something light and goofy about the fat robot. Instead it's a darker tale about death and revenge. While it has plenty of goofy moments I just was not prepared for it. Had I known it was darker before watching I would have probably enjoyed it more.

The Best Of Me - 8/10
Nicholas Sparks is to romance what George Carlin is to comedy. The Best of Me is another in a long line of Nicholas Sparks movies that are among the best romantic movies ever. The reason why this movies is so good, like most Nicholas Sparks movies in my opinion is that the story is mostly believable and is as much heartbreaking as it is romantic. This one centers around Amanda (Michelle Monaghan/Liana Liberato) and Dawson (James Marsden/Luke Bracey) former high school sweethearts that are now estranged and have lived their own lives, but the death of someone that practically raised them throws them back together to deal with their past. Much of the movie is flashbacks telling the tale of their past.​

The Book Of Life - 7/10
I knew nothing when I went to it other than it was a cartoon. I quite enjoyed it. It made me laugh and it had it's sad moments too. It's an interesting tale around Mexico's day of the dead.​

Bound - 2/10
A dark story about a women who gets into the BDSM lifestyle and chooses the wrong dominant as a master. While I have not read 50 Shades of Gray, they seem to be blatantly playing off it's popularity and rather blatantly. The catch phrase on the picture on IMDB even says "No Grey. Only back and white." Not to mention the acting was subpar with Charisma Carpenter as the lead. The only thing that stops this from getting 1 out of 10 is Carpenter still has a great body and you see all over it.​

Cake - 8/10
No a Jennifer Aniston fan and I didn't think she would pull off this role, but she did. She plays a drug addicted, self destructive woman who was banished from her support group but becomes obsessed with a member who had killed themselves shortly before her departure from the group.​

Dear White People - 6/10
This was more serious that I was expecting, but it was still pretty good. A story about a race riot on a university campus and the events that let up to the riot. I like that they used a mostly lesser known castl with Tyler James Williams (everybody Hates CHris) being the most known and in a role like nothing I have seen him in before. For some reason I thought this would movie would be funnier, had I known what I was getting into it may have been a 7 or 8.​

The Fault Of Our Stars - 7/10
It's along the same premise as every other movie where the main character is dying and they fall in love. But I don't mind, dying teenagers deserve to fall in love too right? I like that the lead characters are more "normal" than in other movies, both physically and in personality. There is some funny moments too and they take the time to laugh at cancer which is great. The secondary cast was great especially Willem Dafoe, I can't say too much about him though without playing spoiler. It's a good movie, albeit a chick flick.​

Gone Girl - 8/10
I hate Ben Affleck but he did not detract from this movie. It centers around a man whose wife goes missing and he becomes the focal point of the investigation. This is a really well written story that even Affleck couldn't ruin, with plenty of twists and darkness. I want to say more about it but I don't want to give any spoilers.​

Lucy - 6/10
Scarlett Johansson in all her sexiness :heart:. I really didn't know what to expect going in except it was about a girl name Lucy who used more of her brain than the average person. The movie is much more intelligent than I was expecting, I would put it up there with Inception in that regard. I think this is a movie where if you watch it 2, 3, 4 (or more) times and you keep understanding it a little more.​

Menace II Society - 10/10
I am biased as it is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the cast, I love the story, I love the violence and I love the soundtrack. O-Dogg (Larenz Tate) is one of my favorite character ever. All I have to say is....... What you say about my momma?

Two Night Stand - 8/10
Maybe it's a guilty pleasure movie for me, but I really enjoyed it. A young sexy woman named Megan (Analeigh Tipton) is trying to get over her ex decides to try online dating and after a ****** night she decides to go have her first one night stand. She ends up meeting the goofy Alec (Miles Teller) and going to his place for a fun night. After an awkward goodbye they realize that the city is snowed in and they are stuck together for at least another day. It's pretty funny in my opinion and it's one you can enjoy more than once.​

You gave The Best of Me 8/10? Really? Wow. Maybe I'll make a post of films that I saw this year.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I agree, but not to make this too political/ controversial but the movie was more of propaganda movie. They were glorifying a guy who had 160 confirmed kills. Even though there were terrorists in the country he generalized them all and called them "savages". He enjoyed killing people. “Maybe war isn't really fun, but I certainly was enjoying it.” That was from his autobiography. I mean...who enjoys war? Too defend your country is noble, but to enjoy going to war is a bit much.

[mod]

I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

I didn't find it propagandish at all, really.

They didn't glorify Kyle at all, I mean they extensively went through how he ruined his family's life for about 10 years, until he finally called it quits; they even showed him having severe PTSD and the effects it had on him.

After all, the movie is called "American Sniper", you had to expect a majority of the movie to be showing his killings and him in the Iraqi War.

What Kyle did was very respectable and honorable, but I too wouldn't call him a "hero". Based on the movie, he was a big reason on why a child was drilled to death by a bit and his father shot to death; he was the reason on why his fellow soldiers died on the top of the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad