OT: Off-Topic, again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Interstates look okay on the tdot cameras, city of Murfreesboro cameras are down for maintenance on the one day I'd like to see them, trying to decide if I try to drive to work or just walk.
Depends on where you are. Murfreesboro is fine but once you get anywhere near the downtown corridor in Nashville they turn into a mess.

Also Memphis is super bad right now if anyone is heading west.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Pups first snow.
IMG_3212.jpeg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I couldn't bear to go outside and clean off my car. Will regret that in the morning I am sure.
They have already closed us down for tomorrow so I can at least wait until up towards mid day to mess with mine. I just didn't see the point in clearing it off this morning and then clearing another 4-5 inches off yet again.

Last measurement I saw here was from someone just up the road, that was 8 inches, and its been snowing since then so may push another half inch to an inch out of it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
What gets me is sending kids home early or calling off school for severe weather like possible tornados. Kids are safer in a brick school than at home alone in a trailer/poor built home, like what happened in Clarksville, imho.
I get your point. However, if a house collapses, 2 or 3 kids might be killed. If a school collapses, 500 kids might be killed, even if it is a stronger structure.

Brick walls have a tendency to fracture in tornadoes due to low air pressure. I have also seen only chimneys remaining in what was a house. Maybe that is because of less square footage versus a wall?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Gas is $3.47 a gallon in Las Vegas, but everything seems expensive here. A domestic beer was $14 or $15 at T-Mobile Arena. A beer brat was $15, versus about $10 at Miller Park / AmFam Field.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I get your point. However, if a house collapses, 2 or 3 kids might be killed. If a school collapses, 500 kids might be killed, even if it is a stronger structure.

Brick walls have a tendency to fracture in tornadoes due to low air pressure. I have also seen only chimneys remaining in what was a house. Maybe that is because of less square footage versus a wall?

Almost all brick that you see in home construction is a facade. The foundation has an extra couple of inches that the brick sits on (if done correctly, sometimes it's done directly on grade as a quick and dirty), and every few feet up there are little "ties" that connect it to the exterior walls. There is a small air gap between the actual exterior house walls and the brick, which is also why there are slots in the mortar every so often that are called weep holes and allow moisture to escape from behind the brick.

A brick chimney would actually be structural, with multiple layers of brick interlocked since you couldn't stick frame a hole intended for fire and extreme heat to travel through.

Similarly, if you see the commercials for foundation repair that say "if your brick is cracking!" don't make them your first call. Call a structural engineer. Of course the foundation repair company does a free estimate and the structural engineer will cost you, but those USS type companies are not structural engineers and have a service to sell you. They definitely do a legitimate job if you actually need foundation repair, but they legally cannot (if they even have the ability to identify it) diagnose foundation issues and in a lot of cases they come in and do a costly repair job that isn't covered by insurance when all you needed was a brick guy to come and patch things up.

Reactions: adsfan

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Most SUVs are pavement princesses, mall crawlers.
I get a good chuckle every time I see these jacked up 4 wheel drives with the big rims and low sidewall tires. The only off roading those things are good for is a gravel driveway. $80k trucks that aren’t good for anything but “looking good”.

I miss the good old days of missing and off roading.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I get a good chuckle every time I see these jacked up 4 wheel drives with the big rims and low sidewall tires. The only off roading those things are good for is a gravel driveway. $80k trucks that aren’t good for anything but “looking good”.

My dad had a 1977 ford F150 custom. Thing would drive over EVERYTHING. I have a 2020 Nissan Altima SR and that thing is LOW but can drive over most things.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Yep they are just vanity vehicles that most of the time have some idiot incapable of driving something that large behind the wheel. I grew up in Hendersonville and it always cracked me up all the rich suburban kids who drove those things acting like they were a country boy who needed it for the farm work.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Those idiots are why you can't buy just a good basic truck anymore. I need a bench seat, a 5 speed, a basic radio and roll up windows. Add sliding back glass if you want to get fancy. It's supposed to be a truck and they aren't supposed to cost as much as a small house.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I have an old beater 1989 F 250 2 wheel drive that a couple years ago got a Jasper rebuilt engine. 'Cause sometimes a guy needs to haul a piece of 4 x 8 plywood or a few fence posts. Yes I do have a farm. Also a 1999 Nissan Frontier 4 x 4 that is perfect for the Forest Service mountain roads I love here along the Tennessee/North Carolina mountains and snowy days for necessary trips. No I did not drive around today, well except for my Kawasaki Mule which I took through the snow across the field to check the barn heater that protects the water pipes feeding the cattle trough.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm just looking at all these weather reports of inches of snow in every direction from here, look out my window at our like half inch of accumulation here in Columbus, and think about how friends from down south have vetoed New Year's gatherings up here because of the hypothetical threat of being trapped by harsh winter weather.

• Haha
Reactions: BigFatCat999

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm just looking at all these weather reports of inches of snow in every direction from here, look out my window at our like half inch of accumulation here in Columbus, and think about how friends from down south have vetoed New Year's gatherings up here because of the hypothetical threat of being trapped by harsh winter weather.
I go up there for Christmas every year and usually its not bad, but every once in a while you get hammered and you want to smack yourself for going.

This snow we got down here thankfully should be over with tomorrow. I'm so done with this mess.

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad