OT: Off-Topic, again.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
going down I-65 after a year and I don’t recognize the city
Honestly, I go into Nashville on a weekly basis and sometimes things change in THAT time frame! It doesn't bother me. I've always wanted to live in a big city but I loved Nashville and didn't want to move. Now I get both.

Reactions: adsfan

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
So far, the Pop Tart bowl has been the best bowl of the season. The mascot not only made the game fun to watch, it sacrificed itself after the game as a treat for the winning players. Marketing genius right there.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Holy shit. Our lame ass school system just cancelled school tomorrow because of concerns about high wind. Not snow, not ice... wind.

Ever since they made it so they can do "school from home" instead of having to make up days at the end of they year these lazy bastards close school at the drop of a hat. And we are supposed to get snow Sunday so I'm sure they will close all next week.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Holy shit. Our lame ass school system just cancelled school tomorrow because of concerns about high wind. Not snow, not ice... wind.

Ever since they made it so they can do "school from home" instead of having to make up days at the end of they year these lazy bastards close school at the drop of a hat. And we are supposed to get snow Sunday so I'm sure they will close all next week.
I mean I get your point of view, but they are forecasting 55-60 mph winds here and I imagine driving a bus in that could be dangerous. We gotta remember, people sue at the drop of a hat these days so they are essentially just trying to lower their liability.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I mean I get your point of view, but they are forecasting 55-60 mph winds here and I imagine driving a bus in that could be dangerous. We gotta remember, people sue at the drop of a hat these days so they are essentially just trying to lower their liability.
I get it, but it's still way too convenient for them to cancel class anymore.

Reactions: hockey diva

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't have a dog in the hunt but if they have the technology I don't see why you wouldn't use it to your advantage.
Because I'm not a teacher. I pay my taxes so they can teach my kids. Used to be if they were gonna pull the trigger on a snow day it meant an extra day at the end of the year they had to work, so they didn't do it frivolously. Now a day like this is a free day off for them while I have to do my job plus be a teacher for a day.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I just stepped outside after not having done so for a few hours. Wind has really picked up, my guess is at least 40 mph and getting colder. My friend in Nebraska said even THEY are snowed in. 0 degrees with a high of -1 tomorrow and drifts up to 3 feet.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

My daughter complained that she never had a snow day before college. One time we had 14 inches of snow in one day in Milwaukee. Chicago closed their schools for a week, but not our public schools. I heard that attendance averaged 50% and we live in a suburb, not in the windswept country.

Around 1881, they had a similar storm that happened during a school day. Three or 400 kids died trying to walk home. I saw a Wikipedia page about it.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
What gets me is sending kids home early or calling off school for severe weather like possible tornados. Kids are safer in a brick school than at home alone in a trailer/poor built home, like what happened in Clarksville, imho.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What gets me is sending kids home early or calling off school for severe weather like possible tornados. Kids are safer in a brick school than at home alone in a trailer/poor built home, like what happened in Clarksville, imho.
Yeah that never made sense. The only odd one I remember having was when I was in junior high and they sent everyone home early because of the risk of flooding. At the time it seemed silly, but looking back it made sense considering Bedford County and Shelbyville is essentially split in half by the Duck River, and if they had to raise the flood gate you run into a situation where you have bus drivers trying to find routes to get kids home they may not know a thing about.

The ones that made my Dad mad in the 80's was when they would send us to school knowing they were going to need to close early because of snow. Back then it was a pain too cause almost none of the southern counties had snow plows, and in the early mid 80's we had record snow and cold. He would drop me off at 8 and need to come get me at 8:30 or 9. I can remember seeing the county out with Graders they would use on the dirt roads just trying to do something to keep 41A open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad