Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. IX - "Spezza's Last Week?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

Werent you a fan of the Kessel deal?

I was cause the Leafs spent money... they just sucked.
The Sens spent no money to patch the defense... if they tried to be competitive but failed, thats one thing, but the team could not spend

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
My only issue with your previous post was the double taxation statement.

US Tax Law
Citizens and residents are taxed on worldwide income and allowed a credit for foreign taxes. The US offers the foreign tax credit to mitigate the potential for double taxation.

Canada also offers a foreign tax credit to its citizens and residents for the same reason, to mitigate double taxation. Line 405 on the Canadian tax return.

People that fall into this situation are required to file both in the US and Canada, but aren't taxed double as you suggest.

The foreign tax credit does not clear the foreign taxes.
The only way Alfie would only pay Canadian taxes is if he earned under $10,000 or was in the States for 182 days or less.

When I say he is double taxed, I am not saying he has to pay 45% here and 35% there or what ever their rate is, I am saying he has to pay both American (a portion after credit) and Canadian taxes (a portion after credit).

CRA said:
Line 104 - Foreign employment income

Foreign employment income is income earned outside Canada from a foreign employer. Report this income in Canadian dollars. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate that was in effect on the day you received the income. If the amount was paid at various times throughout the year, you can use the average annual rate.

Do not reduce your foreign income by the amount of tax the foreign country withheld. However, you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit when you calculate your federal and provincial or territorial taxes. For more information, see line 405.

IRS said:
Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Resident Aliens

If you are a resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax the same way as an U.S. citizen. You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial present test for the calendar year.

Because he emigrated in the eyes of the CRA, Alfie would only be subject to American taxes.

Whether or not he has to pay the full American taxes I am unsure of. I am not aware of any tax treaties between Sweden and the US.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He wants to win. Its why he wants out of Ottawa...Melnyk wont commit to spending money.

Nashville has a great cast of supporting players, an elite #1D, and they barely missed the playoffs despite not having their top-echelon #1G all season. Add in a #1C like Spezza and I can't see a situation in which that's NOT a winning team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The foreign tax credit does not clear the foreign taxes.
The only way Alfie would only pay Canadian taxes is if he earned under $10,000 or was in the States for 182 days or less.

When I say he is double taxed, I am not saying he has to pay 45% here and 35% there or what ever their rate is, I am saying he has to pay both American (a portion after credit) and Canadian taxes (a portion after credit).

Because he emigrated in the eyes of the CRA, Alfie would only be subject to American taxes.

Whether or not he has to pay the full American taxes I am unsure of. I am not aware of any tax treaties between Sweden and the US.

All right all right, break it up you two, take it to the business of hockey forum:sarcasm:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
If Ottawa did not trade their 1st rd pick, I would not care about the budget.
if you want to rebuild and be cheap save the 1sts
I would agree with you if Bobby Ryan was 35 years old but that is not the case. While not an ideal move, with Alfredsson leaving they were in full damage control and had to fill a major hole to fill... A couple of young assets for Spezza will more than make up for it.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Nashville has a great cast of supporting players, an elite #1D, and they barely missed the playoffs despite not having their top-echelon #1G all season. Add in a #1C like Spezza and I can't see a situation in which that's NOT a winning team.

They are a complete first line away from competing with the elite teams. Spezza is not enough to let them seriously challenge LA, Chicago etc.

Nashville is a very nice team and a playoff contender but they are far from Cup contention, even with Spezza.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
If Boedker becomes a Sen today, I buy his jersey tomorrow.

Boedker-Zibanejad-Stone

A line with a ton of room to grow.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
They are a complete first line away from competing with the elite teams. Spezza is not enough to let them seriously challenge LA, Chicago etc.

Nashville is a very nice team and a playoff contender but they are far from Cup contention, even with Spezza.

New York this year is prime evidence that you don't need a top-three team in the league to make the finals, just an easy schedule.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd take Begrlund & Backes for Spezza, re-sign Michalek & stick him with these two to form a 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad