Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. IX - "Spezza's Last Week?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
THE FACTS:

(Please keep the following in mind: Only some of these are "facts". Many of these are only rumours from sources that can be considered "credible" within the hockey community. The author of this post is not responsible for the blatant misuse of "rumours" as "facts" - this is only here as a quick-link resource for anyone who is curious about sources for Senators-related trade & UFA news... The onus of responsibility of what is done with this information is on the reader. As usual, common sense should prevail. Thanks.)

On Jason Spezza:
- "The Senators have had mild interest from the St. Louis Blues and Anaheim Ducks in Spezza." - Garrioch (May 11th, 2014)
- Blues are "high on Jason Spezza's wish list" - Andy Strickland (May 13th)
- Spezza requests trade, Murray says he will oblige (June 11th)
- St. Louis Blues have "serious interest", putting together package "that would include Patrik Berglund". - AJ Jakubec (June 12th)
- Brad May said Spezza never asked to be traded, instead asked for "commitment from Ottawa" (June 14th)
- Spezza's "10 team Refusal List" includes all 4 Western Canadian teams. Unsure if Toronto or Montreal are on that list. (June 14th)
- Calgary rumoured to have made an offer of: Hudler, Backlund, possibly Wideman, and a combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks. - Garrioch (June 14th)
- Spezza's "No Trade" list apparently includes Florida, Columbus, Nashville, and the Islanders - Dreger (June 17th)
- Calgary GM Treliving claims that rumours of Flames making an offer for Spezza are "categorically false... That’s 100% fantasy island" (June 17th)
- "Told Jason spezza's number one choice for a trade is to the #stlblues. Word is he believes he's headed to either STL or ANA" - Strickland (June 18th)
- Murray says he has "two serious offers on the table" for Jason Spezza (June 19th)
- Murray said he will allow a team to talk to Spezza about an extension only after "a deal has been done" - Garrioch (June 19th)
- Jason Spezza trade talk heating up. OTT in conversation with 4 teams, three in the West and one in the East. - McKenzie (June 25th)
- Reports that Chicago are showing interest in Spezza. Up to six teams interested... a few tire kickers. - Garrioch (June 26th)

On Milan Michalek:
- Murray says the only UFA he wants to keep is Milan Michalek (June 11th, 2014)
- "It’s believed the Senators are trying to sign Milan Michalek to a new contract." - Ken Warren (June 13th)
- Murray confirms there is a contract offer on the table for Michalek. "There is a good chance" a deal can get done (June 19th)
- Michalek "doesn't appear likely to return" to Ottawa. "Beginning to look elsewhere for his next contract" - Sportsnet (June 25)

On Ales Hemsky:
- Talks between Ottawa & Hemsky break down, Hemsky's reported asking price is $5.5mil/year. Hemsky expected to test UFA market. (June 4th, 2014)
- Sens offer Hemsky 3yr, ~$10mil deal, which Hemsky rejected. Sens listening to offers for his UFA rights. - Bob McKenzie (June 16th)

On Stephane Da Costa:
- Ottawa did not want to give Da Costa a 1-way contract. Likely headed to KHL - Bob McKenzie (June 16th, 2014)
- Stephane Da Costa "has signed a deal to play in Russia’s KHL next season" (June 20th)

On Robin Lehner:
- Murray says discussions ongoing with Lehner about short and long term extensions (June 19th, 2014)
- Sens "not close to a deal yet" with Lehner. "Will get done" - Garrioch (June 19th)

On Jiri Sekac:
- "Right now he has more than a dozen firm offers on a max entry-level deal for two years. He's expected over the next couple of days to make up his mind as to which team. This is a guy who is in great demand." - Bob McKenzie (June 6th, 2014)
- Vishal Hussein ("Voice of the Oshawa Generals") says Sekac has eight NHL offers... frontrunners are Devils, Flyers & Sens (June 9th)

On the Internal Budget/ Cap:
- "The Senators will not be a cap team next year and the club will continue with an internal budget with $56-to-$57 million range. The club will continue to put money into drafting an developing to have success." - Garrioch (April 15th, 2014)

(will update this as news & legit sources are made available)

Last edited:

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Carried on from last thread:

Berglund is a number 2/3 and just flat out better than Smith. He can also play lw on the 2nd line. Again not something Smith can do

No doubt he's better than Smith, but Berglund would have the same role. Without Spezza, Turris would be the pure #1 centre, Zibanejad – who had more goals and more points than Berglund in fewer games and with lesser ice time on a worse team (and is only getting better) – would be the #2, and Berglund would be the #3.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not willing to give up Spezza when the principal component coming back is an upgrade at the third line centre position.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Berglund can play the wing and the Blues' fans say he's better as a winger

He could a decent veteran to help Zibanejad out since Z will inevitably struggle at time with being the second line centre

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya

He could a decent veteran to help Zibanejad out since Z will inevitably struggle at time with being the second line centre

Well the point still holds: I'm not willing to give up Spezza when the principal component coming back is an upgrade at the third line centre position/marginal second line winger.

I've complied this very quickly and likely with some inaccuracy, but in the 4 games that Spezza missed last year and Zibanejad played, Zibby had 5 points. I'm not saying that sort of pace will hold up for an entire season, in the relatively brief moments where Zibanejad received solid ice time – and wasn't shackled to the likes of Neil, Condra, Kassian etc. – he was very solid and productive.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Lazar as well if he centers the third line ,he would be very good add for us .We are not resigning Spezza, every GM in the league knows this ,These fantasy trades for spezza are never going to happen.Stlouis,s rumored offer is pretty good ,maybe we sqeeze abit more after Statsny resigns but its not going jump to the stratosphere like some are expecting

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well the point still holds: I'm not willing to give up Spezza when the principal component coming back is an upgrade at the third line centre position/marginal second line winger.

I've complied this very quickly and likely with some inaccuracy, but in the 4 games that Spezza missed last year and Zibanejad played, Zibby had 5 points. I'm not saying that sort of pace will hold up for an entire season, in the relatively brief moments where Zibanejad received solid ice time – and wasn't shackled to the likes of Neil, Condra, Kassian etc. – he was very solid and productive.

berglund had an off year you cant just use one year to justify it . He is a consistant 20 goal scorer that is generally what you will get from him with solid two way play.

People have been saying they are willing to give up a little offense to play better defensively so i guess it shouldnt be a problem.

I agree that we need to upgrade the top 2 lines but I think that will come through UFA not through a spezza deal unless we somehow get Oshie.

We wouldnt be just getting berglund anyways we would be getting atleast Rattie i think maybe a first.

I would then go and flip the 1st for Stewart :naughty:

Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Berglund - Stewart
Michalek - Zibby- Stone

That isnt a bad top 6 we might even sneak into the playoffs with the size of these guys and two way game.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
berglund had an off year you cant just use one year to justify it . He is a consistant 20 goal scorer that is generally what you will get from him with solid two way play.

People have been saying they are willing to give up a little offense to play better defensively so i guess it shouldnt be a problem.

I agree that we need to upgrade the top 2 lines but I think that will come through UFA not through a spezza deal unless we somehow get Oshie.

We wouldnt be just getting berglund anyways we would be getting atleast Rattie i think maybe a first.

I would then go and flip the 1st for Stewart :naughty:

Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Berglund - Stewart
Michalek - Zibby- Stone

That isnt a bad top 6 we might even sneak into the playoffs with the size of these guys and two way game.
What about LAZAR???,If he makes the team that lineup gets even better:nod:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Zibanejad is going to be awesome but he remains raw, having a good steady veteran (Swedish to boot) play with him could be very helpful in his development

I'm not saying I'm super pumped at the thought of getting Berglund, but Berglund + Rattie + 1st isn't something to sneeze at either. We might be able to do better but it's not a garbage deal

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya

So Berglund is a consistent 20 goal scorer who has just barely scored 20 goals in 2 of 5 full seasons in the league. Okay.

And what's the point of "giving up a little offense to play better defensively" when we're not addressing the main problem of this team's defence. Namely, the DEFENCEmen.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
One of the biggest problems, defensively speaking, for this team last year was the forwards

Disagree. Cowen and Phillips were consistently awful in their own zone, as was Karlsson at times. The forwards – especially the Spezza line in early and midseason and the Greening-Smith-Neil line late in the season – accentuated the problem but weren't the root cause IMO.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I think one of the misconceptions is that Murray is trying to improve his team by trading Spezza, because Spezza isn't a great defensive player. I don't think that has ever been the case. Murray is trading Spezza because Spezza has requested it.

The Senators are not going to fix anything this coming season by trading Spezza. Even if they get Schwartz back...which they won'...I don't reckon that solves anything.

If they managed to fix this thing it's going to be because the coach got these bums playing better team defense.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Patrik Berglund, Ty Rattie and the 21st is legitimately the worst offer we have heard for Spezza. Of every team sort of interested, it's the worst.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don't get how you guys are fine with a Berglund return IF that's the case. It's awful, guy just scored 32 pts playing on a higher scoring team and with better wingers/centers than he would have here.

Do anyone here really think Spezza won't get back to shape? that's just giving him away.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think one of the misconceptions is that Murray is trying to improve his team by trading Spezza, because Spezza isn't a great defensive player. I don't think that has ever been the case. Murray is trading Spezza because Spezza has requested it.

The Senators are not going to fix anything this coming season by trading Spezza. Even if they get Schwartz back...which they won'...I don't reckon that solves anything.

If they managed to fix this thing it's going to be because the coach got these bums playing better team defense.
Or this very young defense grows up a little ,4 out 6 had less than 200 games.It was far too green

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I'll be very bitter with Murray if a deal for Spezza centres around Berglund. He's been very unimpressive the times I've watched him play. The fact that every Blue's fan is quick to throw him off the bus should speak volumes as well.

The rumours for Berglund seemed to only start after it became a centre of discussion on these boards. I hope that's all this is, speculation started by media because of social media

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't get how you guys are fine with a Berglund return IF that's the case. It's awful, guy just scored 32 pts playing on a higher scoring team and with better wingers/centers than he would have here.

Do anyone here really think Spezza won't get back to shape? that's just giving him away.
He is not resigning here,so when the league knows this .You cant expect much m,ore

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
One of the biggest problems, defensively speaking, for this team last year was the forwards

Well when GSN + Spezza/Michalek are playing half the game, defense from the forwards is gonna be a problem.

Partial blame on Maclean for never changing those up.

This should easily be fixed for the upcoming season.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He is not resigning here,so when the league knows this .You cant expect much m,ore

MSL, Vanek, Miller & co.

How can't you expect more for a PPG center in his CAREER! Only 31 years old. I seriously hope Murray isn't dumb enough to accept that trash. That 1st rounder is garbage, Rattie ain't anything special we already have Puempel who's looking better and is more physical, and ****ing Berglund.................................................

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
If there is a deal to be had with St. Louis I hope Jaskin is involved. He is more NHL ready than Rattie and provides size and skill on the wing. Can't wait for this ordeal to be over.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Sens sit at 50.405 in cap $
Floor is $52.5

Take out Spezza and we are about $9.1M below the floor.

We can make that up with:

Michalek
Gryba
Hoffman
Lehner
Whoever comes back in the Spezza deal

That should about do it, so no concerns re being below the floor.

Doesn't address the fact that half the team will consist of scrubs though.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
MSL, Vanek, Miller & co.

How can't you expect more for a PPG center in his CAREER! Only 31 years old. I seriously hope Murray isn't dumb enough to accept that trash. That 1st rounder is garbage, Rattie ain't anything special we already have Puempel who's looking better and is more physical, and ****ing Berglund.................................................
Ok then ,what do you expect??

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sens sit at 50.405 in cap $
Floor is $52.5

Take out Spezza and we are about $9.1M below the floor.

We can make that up with:

Michalek
Gryba
Hoffman
Lehner
Whoever comes back in the Spezza deal

That should about do it, so no concerns re being below the floor.

Doesn't address the fact that half the team will consist of scrubs though.
??or do you mean young players that struggled last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad