Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. IX - "Spezza's Last Week?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
There is good and bad to both systems, as a Canadian living in the US, I can safely say that it would be best if everyone would just not get sick.

Anyways, what is Murray waiting for? I don't want to hear this trade announced by Bettman.

Murray is waiting for an offer the Ottawa fans on HFB fans can accept!!!!

Looks like it is going to be a long wait though.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Alfredsson left because Melnyk could not afford both Alfredsson and Ryan... Sens picked the younger player

Nobody should be upset with Alfredsson... Team only has so much money

There are a number of factors built into the answer of why he left, but Ryan and his salary weren't one of them. Murray tried to convince him to stay based on the Ryan trade about to be made, so one had nothing to with the other. Alfie's money went to MacArthur.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On who are they going to spend it though?

Good point. Other than Ryan Miller, free agent pickings are slim for the Canucks. A guy like Vanek just doesn't fit into their philosophy or long term plans.

There are, though, some parallels in ownership. Aquilini just got taken to the cleaners in a divorce and would probably be quite happy to be $10 million below the cap, like another owner we know.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good point. Other than Ryan Miller, free agent pickings are slim for the Canucks. A guy like Vanek just doesn't fit into their philosophy or long term plans.

There are, though, some parallels in ownership. Aquilini just got taken to the cleaners in a divorce and would probably be quite happy to be $10 million below the cap, like another owner we know.

Nah that family has a boat load of money. They're doing fine. Remember it's not one owner but 3. They have significant property in one of the most expensive markets in North America, he's not hurting.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We shall see

I have a sneaking suspicion that good/great free agents are going to get harder and harder to come by in the future

Still, Vancouver had to rebuild and now they are off to the races

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We shall see

I have a sneaking suspicion that good/great free agents are going to get harder and harder to come by in the future

Still, Vancouver had to rebuild and now they are off to the races

Credit to Benning. He has a vision and he's determined to see it through. They just added Dorsett for the third they got in the Kesler deal.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Why do they have to spend it tomorrow? Continue building depth, tank for McDavid and then when the team is ready spend.
Something similar to what Ottawa is doing...

I completely agree but the issue now is that Vancouver is going to have a crop of veterans nearing the end of their careers with the Sedins, Burrows and Higgins being in their mid to late 30's by the time these new young guns are ready to compete. There may be more moves coming in the near future as they try to rebuild but stay competitive.

Oct 10, 2010
Something similar to what Ottawa is doing...

I completely agree but the issue now is that Vancouver is going to have a crop of veterans nearing the end of their careers with the Sedins, Burrows and Higgins being in their mid to late 30's by the time these new young guns are ready to compete. There may be more moves coming in the near future as they try to rebuild but stay competitive.

They should trade the Sedins before it's too late.

They looked broken down last year.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Not sure how you know Aquilini was taken to the cleaners when the settlement is confidential and ensures the information will remain out of the public eye.

It has also been reported the arranged deal will have no bearing on the hockey club.

So I doubt the Canucks will be a budget team anytime soon.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If Ottawa did not trade their 1st rd pick, I would not care about the budget.
if you want to rebuild and be cheap save the 1sts

As a general rule I agree with you Fuhr, however if a first can bring in proven young talent then I think it's a valid exception to the rule.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
If Ottawa did not trade their 1st rd pick, I would not care about the budget.
if you want to rebuild and be cheap save the 1sts

Werent you a fan of the Kessel deal?

Cap space isnt an issue for us. Ryan is better than who ever will be picked there...almost guaranteed. We are closer to competing than this off year showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad