GDT: Off-Season Thread III - The Sound of Silence Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
For the price, I want none of them. I would have given Stamkos 12M+ rather than Lucic or Nielsen 6.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Getting a decent two way center like Nielson wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. However they are going to overpay today whoever they get. I woulf be fine with Nielson and Okposo then trade a package of Tatar or Nyquist for Fowler.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Getting Nielsen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for next season, no.

But locking Frans Nielsen up until he's 38 just might be absolutely terrible.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Getting Nielsen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for next season, no.

But locking Frans Nielsen up until he's 38 just might be absolutely terrible.

Would be better than signing him until he's 35 and then resigning him to 38?

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Would love to see the wings do these things:
dekeyser and jensen/pulky and mid rd pick for trouba
eat some salary to move ericcson for whatever you can get.
sign wiz or tytuin
let sproul and XO play more (probably means not signing wiz or tytuin)
sign okposo for 5 year deal @ 7 per
Sign backes 3 year deal for 6 per.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Would be better than signing him until he's 35 and then resigning him to 38?

I mean yea, it's better than that, and luckily by the time he's 36-38 most of our **** contracts are off the books (pending buyout)... Still, just throwing money at a lesser player

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Holland is going to overpay today that is what everyone does in free agency. Supply and demand simple as that. I have made my peace with it I just want them to get some players that can help Detroit move forward.

They also need to do what it takes to get Fowler.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I mean yea, it's better than that, and luckily by the time he's 36-38 most of our **** contracts are off the books (pending buyout)... Still, just throwing money at a lesser player

I think I'd rather have Backes...but same thing not for long term. It'd be great to have a player who plays a heavy game, but concerned about his decline and if he is even playing center anymore? The scuttlebutt is they are linked to Nielsen though...

Wsu2122

Jul 1, 2016
I really hope the wings go in the direction of getting a little more gritty... One or two of Backes, Lucic and Martin would be a wonderful step in getting harder to play against. I fear the signing of Nielson could resemble the Weiss debacle we had to endure. Needless to say I'm nervous to see the wings go after Nielson and re-up Helm. Fingers crossed for some grit and toughness

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland is going to overpay today that is what everyone does in free agency. Supply and demand simple as that. I have made my peace with it I just want them to get some players that can help Detroit move forward.

They also need to do what it takes to get Fowler.

No forward on the market does anything but decreases the regression. Why rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont want franz nelson mostly becauae he is more of the same, soft and simple, invisible when the game is slow and physical

He is not at all what holland spoke of at seasons end

Give me backes anyday

backes five years at 6.5
Trade for cam fowler
Sign matt martin

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No forward on the market does anything but decreases the regression. Why rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic?
We didn't hit an iceberg, we are slowly leaking and by plugging holes before we sink we may actually make it to land instead of ending up lost at sea /end methapor.

zwixrr

May 12, 2014
Michigan, USA
I hope we just blow up the team and tank. That won't happen so how about we overpay for over the hill players that bring nothing to this team.:shakehead

Hopefully Kenny is actually going to go outside his comfort zone and make a move that will actually drive this franchise into the future. That means making a move for fowler or shatty and move Howies bad contract with some rentention and getting Mrazek on a team friendly semi-long term contract. Hopefully something around a 5x4/5

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
McKenzie saying the same thing, so decent chance we're ending up with Nielsen.

invisible when the game is slow and physical

The entire league is moving towards the opposite of that, so I have no idea why people are so stuck up on becoming the Bruins from half a decade ago.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Honestly I think some fans are afraid of being a bad team for some reason. Perhaps a lot of them aren't old enough to know anything but the wings as a symbol of winning. It's not the end of the world and the climb to the top and reaching the peak is half the fun as a fan. Sure as hell beats the running in place and safety of mediocrity, but that's just me.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If all of you were to pick which D we could get...

Tyson Barrie
Cam Fowler
Jacob Trouba

Which one would you send a package to?

As Edmonton had already proven, D are unaffordable unless you have young Taylor Hall -type talent in your system, which Wings don't have.

I guess Larkin might return something less desirable...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Getting a decent two way center like Nielson wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. However they are going to overpay today whoever they get. I woulf be fine with Nielson and Okposo then trade a package of Tatar or Nyquist for Fowler.

Thing is, Nielsen is gonna get paid like a great two way center, not a decent one. We need elite. We don't need decent.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If all of you were to pick which D we could get...

Tyson Barrie
Cam Fowler
Jacob Trouba

Which one would you send a package to?

Trouba - youngest with the highest upside to be great at both ends if the ice. We'd have zero shot at getting him or Barrie though.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
As Edmonton had already proven, D are unaffordable unless you have young Taylor Hall -type talent in your system, which Wings don't have.

I guess Larkin might return something less desirable...

The Hall trade was based on needs for the teams IMO. We could still potentially still package something to make it good. However, I'm not sure that the price will be good. I did ask which would you choose though...and not which one is realistic or not because we don't have a Taylor Hall to give up for a solid young RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad