GDT: Off-Season Thread III - The Sound of Silence Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
My only hope for today is that Mike Green's contract is the model for any other signings we make. $$$'s just aren't important at this point, but I don't want to still be seeing any of these guys past 2020.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Helm is literally just the same old ****. It's really just adding Nielsen.

We would lose quite a bit speed if Helm goes. Adding Nielsen adds also speed.

When I did watch Pittsburgh, it was speed which really killed at Finals.

Rust, Sheary, Hagelin, Kessel kind of guys.

Of course we are going to get anyone to replace Datsyuk, but hey, there isn't any Dastyuk level players as UFA. So it kind of is what it is.

Nielsen vs. Richards is an upgrade. That's how I see it. Hopefully it's short contract, like 3 years.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
You all will love nielsen. Losing him is gonna hurt the isles much more than okposo and Martin. If he does sign, you guys are super lucky. He'll bring a ton of value in every facet of the game (ozone, neutral zone, d zone, pp, pk).

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'll be honest. I wouldn't even be mad at a hudler signing. What the hell we're going to suck anyway and I think the guy is hilarious.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We would lose quite a bit speed if Helm goes. Adding Nielsen adds also speed.

When I did watch Pittsburgh, it was speed which really killed at Finals.

Rust, Sheary, Hagelin, Kessel kind of guys.

Of course we are going to get anyone to replace Datsyuk, but hey, there isn't any Dastyuk level players as UFA. So it kind of is what it is.

Nielsen vs. Richards is an upgrade. That's how I see it. Hopefully it's short contract, like 3 years.

Except those guys played on the 3rd line, Helm will play in the top 6.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You all will love nielsen. Losing him is gonna hurt the isles much more than okposo and Martin. If he does sign, you guys are super lucky. He'll bring a ton of value in every facet of the game (ozone, neutral zone, d zone, pp, pk).

Sorry, but a 32 year old center who has never had a 60 point season, playing behind JT? He's going to get a retirement contract and he's going to underwhelm. I want no part of it.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

I'm sure he's a terrific guy and does all the little things well. But its not what we need to be doing at this time. He would be a good fit on a contender.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
No its not

I dont want him here, dont wish him ill will whatsoever but want us to move on

Its time for a change in direction

Its not disgusting, its just the truth.

Why take it out on the player? That makes no sense. You would what? Turn down millions from the team that developed you and where all your friends are that are telling you how much they want to keep you? Nonsense.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Except those guys played on the 3rd line, Helm will play in the top 6.

yeah, something tells me that if our concern was slotting guys in behind Crosby, Malkin, and Letang that our offseason wouldn't be as stressful and frustrating. A few years ago someone said that we would go the Calgary Flames route towards mediocrity and, yeah, it looks like it.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
why......... why......... why........... why............ why

The reason you guys are all going mental here is that you just want to see a bunch of kids. Then, when the roster melts down and the team tanks, well, that's actually what you really wanted all along.

The organization wants to make the playoffs, and Holland wants to make the playoffs, so you (possibly) sign Helm for 2 or 3 years at ~2.75 a season because he's a better bottom 6 winger than Jurco is.

The team flat out doesn't want what you want, and they haven't for 3+ years now. It's not at all an inscrutable decision-making process if someone can set aside their own value system and look at the situation through someone elses.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
yeah, something tells me that if our concern was slotting guys in behind Crosby, Malkin, and Letang that our offseason wouldn't be as stressful and frustrating. A few years ago someone said that we would go the Calgary Flames route towards mediocrity and, yeah, it looks like it.

I'll take credit for that but I definitely wasn't alone. And look how fast Calgary has stockpiled top end talent in the meantime. Oy...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

If he were coming in on a Brad Richards contract, sure, awesome. Maybe he'd be a good shelter for Larkin. But if he gets 5-6 years? I want no part of that, whatever his good qualities are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad