GDT: Off-Season Thread III - The Sound of Silence Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Still, both Zetterberg and Datsyuk came straight in to offensive roles, but also learned their defensive duties on the way. That's the route I want and hope Larkin and AA to go.

There's no way I can compare AA to Z and D arriving to the NHL. None. AA has flashed elite level speed, D and Z exhibited a very high degree of skill and awareness pretty much from day 1. Those guys were vastly more finished products, especially Zetterberg.

I think the best AA comparison we have so far is Hudler, although they are about as dissimilar as two offensive players can get, skill wise. Hudler never earned the trust of the coaches in Detroit for a larger role, so even though he had that high level of offensive skill never really progressed far up the ES sheet.

The question with AA is, can he get over that hesitation from Blashill? Will he quickly do enough other things on the ice to let Blashill play him in larger and larger roles, will there be a transition period until that side of the game clicks in for him, or will he be like Hudler and never really get all the way there?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He certainly demonstrated he is a better offensive player than Miller.

Is that the sum total of your range of consideration?

He proved he was a better and more valuable player overall, largely because of his offensive skill, yes. Miller is garbage and isn't good enough defensively to make up the huge gap offensively.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Anyways... what about Schultz on a cheap 1-2 year contract? Yes I realize almost everyone will hate this idea, but why not take a risk on him? The offense and puck moving ability is clearly there, what do we really have to lose if he doesn't progress defensively?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Anyways... what about Schultz on a cheap 1-2 year contract? Yes I realize almost everyone will hate this idea, but why not take a risk on him? The offense and puck moving ability is clearly there, what do we really have to lose if he doesn't progress defensively?

I agree. Would like to see a move like this.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'd be down for Schultz for a couple years. He played with Smith and Zengerle at Wisconsin. Chelios also played for Wisconsin a century ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hypothetical thought here: What if Detroit strikes out in free agency in the next few days and is forced to do a rebuild. With the cost of good defensemen very high, would you look at moving Green, DK, and Kronwall?

Imo I’d see what Green and Kronwall could get, although they may have NMC. I feel like they could fetch some talented young players, especially if Kronwall can rebound from his terrible season.

Dekeyser would be tricky, he would return the most, but he’s also young enough to help a rebuild and a local guy who was basically raised by Wings management.

Don’t see Detroit rebuilding or moving any dmen, but its interesting to think about nonetheless

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hypothetical thought here: What if Detroit strikes out in free agency in the next few days and is forced to do a rebuild. With the cost of good defensemen very high, would you look at moving Green, DK, and Kronwall?

Imo I’d see what Green and Kronwall could get, although they may have NMC. I feel like they could fetch some talented young players, especially if Kronwall can rebound from his terrible season.

Dekeyser would be tricky, he would return the most, but he’s also young enough to help a rebuild and a local guy who was basically raised by Wings management.

Don’t see Detroit rebuilding or moving any dmen, but its interesting to think about nonetheless

No one is going to touch Kronwall and his contract. He's a bottom pairing defenseman with a cap hit of nearly ~5M for 3 more seasons. He's cooked.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
No one is going to touch Kronwall and his contract. He's a bottom pairing defenseman with a cap hit of nearly ~5M for 3 more seasons. He's cooked.

While he was pretty terrible last year, I think that may have had to do with his health. I think he deserves another start of the season to show that he isn’t washed up. Its hard to see his play going from a borderline #1 dman to a bottom pair dman in one season all on his own. He looked really slow so maybe he can return to form after a long off season. However if he doesn’t bounce back no one will want him, just not ready to pronounce him dead just yet.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Preach, brother!

Signed,

Dylan Larkin, Petr Mrazek, Danny Dekeyser.

Does Tomas Tatar sitting in the press box and Gustav Nyquist sitting in Grand Rapids while Mikael Samuelsson and Dan Cleary played ring a bell? Maybe the playoff roster this year when Anthony Mantha was in Grand Rapids and Joakim Andersson was inexplicably playing?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'm going to sleep for a few hours.

Hopefully when I wake up, I'll expect ~ decent news. I essentially have no expectations anymore, though.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Does Tomas Tatar sitting in the press box and Gustav Nyquist sitting in Grand Rapids while Mikael Samuelsson and Dan Cleary played ring a bell? Maybe the playoff roster this year when Anthony Mantha was in Grand Rapids and Joakim Andersson was inexplicably playing?

I'd say the coach of the TML has his fingerprints all over the first one.

You mean the experienced center JA who set up the AA goal against TB? How can you have complaints about how we played against tb?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Come on,dude. The three examples in the last 5 years is clearly the rule and not exceptions. Or, something...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Anyway, who else just had it em hit em that today is the day and got a nervous feeling in their stomach. Lordy,it's going to be a long day. Hope most of the big names get snatched up quick.

zwixrr

May 12, 2014
Michigan, USA
Anyway, who else just had it em hit em that today is the day and got a nervous feeling in their stomach. Lordy,it's going to be a long day. Hope most of the big names get snatched up quick.

Not really.... Just the feeling of an impending doom waiting to happen. Stammer getting resigned really just took out all of the hype of this FA market for me. Maybe they will snag up okposo or demers? Schultz on a short term? Not much to really hope for. Maybe next year..:shakehead

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I just now realized. Stamkos probably didn't meet with us because his agent probably figured there is no chance Detroit was gonna offer something stupid enough to move Tampa off 8.5. Whereas Toronto or Buffalo might have offered 13M+ and forced Tampa to up their offer, Detroit would offer a 10.5 or maybe 11 that wih Floridas state tax and Tampas ability to offer 8 years would be at best an equivalent money deal.

So... He never planned on leaving Tampa. I'm still really disappointed, but if we truly never had a chance, it's hard to be as pissed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You just named 1 GM decision and 3 coaching decisions between 2 different coaches to try and make some kind of point about how this team is run.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I just now realized. Stamkos probably didn't meet with us because his agent probably figured there is no chance Detroit was gonna offer something stupid enough to move Tampa off 8.5. Whereas Toronto or Buffalo might have offered 13M+ and forced Tampa to up their offer, Detroit would offer a 10.5 or maybe 11 that wih Floridas state tax and Tampas ability to offer 8 years would be at best an equivalent money deal.

So... He never planned on leaving Tampa. I'm still really disappointed, but if we truly never had a chance, it's hard to be as pissed.

Which just goes to show the media doesn't know ****. They talk and talk and speculate, but they don't know any more than the fans do. But they don't have to be right anymore.

Thrace

Feb 21, 2012
Hi... I haven't posted here for a long time, but this is shaping up to be an interesting offseason so I figured I'd try to add to the discussion.

Here's one scenario that I wouldn't be too upset about:

(I'm assuming the following factors apply - a) We can't make a trade for a very good young dman without losing an asset Holland isn't prepared to trade; b) Like it or not, Holland will bring in vets to keep the streak alive; c) Riggy and Howard aren't moveable right now)

So... go hard after Demers, Nielsen and one of Okposo, Eriksson or (long shot) Radulov. Try to keep the term down on any signings I guess, but that's easier said than done.

Then move Riggy back to forward and play him on the fourth line. There's precedent for this - Dandenault got switched back to F late in his Wings career, although unlike Ericsson he did have NHL experience at the position.

This would alleviate the defensive logjam and put 52 in a position where his minutes would be less likely to hurt the team. If Blash was inclined, he could still use him at D on the PK.

Finally, admit defeat with Pulks and Jurco and trade them for picks. Kenny will sign vets and both will be pushed down the roster again, so might as well try to recoup some value.

Thirteen forwards: Z, Abby, Larkin, AA, Sheahan, Nyq, Tats, Mantha, Neilsen, FA winger, Miller, Luke, Riggy

Seven d: Dekeyser, Green, Demers, Smith, Kronwall, Marchenko, XO

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Not really.... Just the feeling of an impending doom waiting to happen. Stammer getting resigned really just took out all of the hype of this FA market for me. Maybe they will snag up okposo or demers? Schultz on a short term? Not much to really hope for. Maybe next year..:shakehead

Oh Yea I meant a bad nervous. I'm scurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad