Proposal: Off-Season Moves

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I’m
I’m flicking back and forth between Jays and Leafs on TV.
Actually hoping for Calgary to beat Toronto. Listening to Leaf fans is hard. I would like to see Calgary catch HABS as well. Lucic is actually looking really good and just almost split the D and went in all alone. He is skating great.
The Jays can really hit. When they get Springer in that lineup, they will be deadly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Next year we may have some extra space and can sign someone big for 1 year but within that 2 year window you are giving out a lot of money to:

Tatar 5+, McDavid 12.5 Puljujarvi 4+, Holloway .9, Draisaitl 8.5, Yamamoto 4+
Neal 6.25, McLeod .9, Kassian 3.2.
Shore .9, Kharia 1.3, Archibald 1.5.
Kahun 1, Turris 1.65

Nurse 9, Bouchard .9.
Klefbom 4, Bear 4.
Lagesson .9, Russell 1.25
Jones 1.

XXX 7+
Koskinen 4.5

Believe that puts us at right around the cap and really doesn't leave much for the eventual Draisaitl signing. Hopefully the cap is going up by then.
So your plan for the team is to make the team worse on paper, hope all these rookies are ready and purposely spend like we are a rebuilding team?

Reactions: Smartguy and belair

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I trash Holland a lot and rightly so but I do not envy him this summer. He will be under a microscope and his job will be incredibly complicated.

I don't think he is even close to competent enough to nagiviagte what will be the most important summer for a significant amount of the relevant future. Aka the tail end of the McDrai era.

He has to plan for resigning Draisaitl at a significant raise as a priority... now.

All that aside his #1 thing to complete is sign Darnell Nurse long term for hopefully less than 9 million. That will be the first domino that determines where else and how much he has to spend this year while looking forward to next plus. You can't sign a forward for more than one year without factoring in Nurses raise.

Holland has to get out of this stop gag gig he has going. He needs to start signing some of our young talent into UFA years at a discount. Bear, Yamamoto, and Puljujärvi for example.

Number 2 priority is getting a legit syarting goalie with term.

Honestly between priority 1 and 2 plus some extentions... That's it. We are mostly done.

Priority 3/4 A third line center and second line left winger. I'd love a guy like Tatar for the winger but I doubt Holland can even get a #3 center. He has been trying since he got here.

We really need to rely on our youth next year. I would really push for the following type of line up.

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Draisaitl Yamamoto
Neal McLeod Kassian
Shore Kharia Archibald
Kahun Turris

Nurse (big money) Bouchard
Klefbom/? Bear
Laggesson Russell
Jones

XXX (big money)
Koskinen

Good post and the bolded sums it up nicely - Holland’s work this summer will probably ultimately determine whether McDavid and Draisaitl decide to re-sign in Edmonton or not. We can’t assume these guys will be like Crosby/Ovi and stick with one team for their entire career, especially if that team isn’t gunning for a cup when their contracts come to an end.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So your plan for the team is to make the team worse on paper, hope all these rookies are ready and purposely spend like we are a rebuilding team?

I'm blending two years of salary. It's a bit confusing. There would be cap space for year one and then I imagine some savings when Koskinen is likely cut free... but yes the best way to build is from within. Plus a true #1 starting goalie.

I think a player like Tatar really helps the team over the RNH of this year.

I think you can expect Puljujarvi, Holloway, Yamamoto, McLeod, Bear, Bouchard, plus who knows need to be relied on to grow. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are very good bets to outplay their contracts long term both are just starting to enter their prime...

The Klefbom situation confuses things as well.

Reactions: GOilers88

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm blending two years of salary. It's a bit confusing. There would be cap space for year one and then I imagine some savings when Koskinen is likely cut free... but yes the best way to build is from within. Plus a true #1 starting goalie.

I think a player like Tatar really helps the team over the RNH of this year.

I think you can expect Puljujarvi, Holloway, Yamamoto, McLeod, Bear, Bouchard, plus who knows need to be relied on to grow. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are very good bets to outplay their contracts long term both are just starting to enter their prime...

The Klefbom situation confuses things as well.
RNH is younger, more versatile, more productive and overall better than Tatar. Some people have very short memories.

Agreed Klefbom makes things difficult, but that's just your decision on what to do with Barrie. If Klefbom's hurt next season, there's a good chance that Barrie's back. Also what has Bear done to earn $4m? Or Puljujarvi. Or Yamamoto.

Last edited:

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Klefbom is going to be the big decider of whether Barrie gets re-signed or not. If Klefbom's missing significant time next season, you really have to think about bringing him back. He brings a lot of offense from the back end that isn't likely to be replicated.

One potential Barrie replacement that would be unpopular with some is bringing ADA in on a short deal at near league minimum. He brings a lot of the same elements to the table offensively, but he won't hold our feet to the fire in negotiations. It'd allow Holland to fill out the depth of the roster more effectively.

The big decider there would be Darnell, who played with the kid in SSM. Nurse is mature and respected enough to gauge whether a player like that is manageable in the locker room.

Who the H3LL is ADA? Lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Would anyone trade for Kassian, Neal, or Koskinen @ 50% retention? That would be $1.6M for three years for Kassian, $2.875M for two years for Neal, and $2.25M for one year for Koskinen.

Don't we save more if we just buy them out? I know that's true for Koskinen and Neal... haven't checked Kassian. I can't see the return on the two former being worth the added retained cap.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lol out some of these numbers . Nurse isn’t getting 9 million . He probably will get 7.5 . Puljujarvi is getting 4 million yet unless he really up his game next year . Tatar , Saad would be 2 wings I would like to add 5 million each for 4-5 years . If kulikov proves to be good re-sign him at 2.5x2 . Even if Klefbom comes back

LD
Nurse
Klefbom
Kulikov

Move Jones and Russell for late picks
Bring up Holloway Benson and McLeod. Turris to AHL .

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Saad Draisaitl Yamamoto
Holloway McLeod Kassian

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lol out some of these numbers . Nurse isn’t getting 9 million . He probably will get 7.5 . Puljujarvi is getting 4 million yet unless he really up his game next year . Tatar , Saad would be 2 wings I would like to add 5 million each for 4-5 years . If kulikov proves to be good re-sign him at 2.5x2 . Even if Klefbom comes back

LD
Nurse
Klefbom
Kulikov

Move Jones and Russell for late picks
Bring up Holloway Benson and McLeod. Turris to AHL .

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Saad Draisaitl Yamamoto
Holloway McLeod Kassian
I'd leave Kassian unprotected. We can sign another tough guy for a lot cheaper.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Not trying to sign Barrie will be the biggest mistake this organization makes in the last decade of they don't at least try. I'm a big Bouchard fan but in no way shape or form is he replicating what Barrie has done. This team hasn't had anyone close to Barrie's offensive impact in the 12 years I've been following the team. If he prices himself out then fine, but if the choice is to not resign him because they want Bouchard to replicate his offense we are in for the same rude awakening when chia thought pulju was going to replace Halls offense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Given where I live I dislike the Leafs probably more than most on here. But I also hear a lot more about there moves. I am not suggesting that Dubas is some genius but here is what he did do that has worked. He recognized that he had a young talented core that he could build around and he paid them a lot. (Too much in my mind but that is a different matter). Unfortunately, if you pay your core a lot you cannot afford dead money. He had some assets that were not essential and his futures . So he used those assets and his futures to get rid of all of his bad contracts to clear cap space. And then because he had few futures he concentrated on signing Euros and undrafted US collge players. Right now the closest thing he has to bad money on that team is Kerfoot at $3.5M who is contributing much more right now than a guy like Kassian.

The Oilers problem is that they have too much money wrapped up in places where they could replace the contributions for much less. Add in close to $4M that Chia left in wasted cap space from his buyouts of Pouliot and Sekera and there is close to $20M that is being used very inefficiently on guys like Neal, Russell, Kassian, Turris and Chiasson. If you could magically make all of that go awy you would be left with the following line-up

Nuge McDavid Puljujarvi
Kahun Draisaitl Yamamoto
Ennis Haas Archibald
Benson Khaira Shore
Nygard McLeod

Nurse Barrie
Kulikov Bear
Lagesson Larsson
Jones

Smith
Koskinen

And you would have $18M in cap space to improve that team.

How much worse is this team than what they are currently icing? They have Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway, Samorukov, Savoie... in the prospect pool.

I think the most important thing this team caan do over the next two years is to get rid of the deadweight salary and replace those players with one or more impact players. If this costs futures I'd be ok with that if there is a plan.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’m
I’m flicking back and forth between Jays and Leafs on TV.
Actually hoping for Calgary to beat Toronto. Listening to Leaf fans is hard. I would like to see Calgary catch HABS as well. Lucic is actually looking really good and just almost split the D and went in all alone. He is skating great.
The Jays can really hit. When they get Springer in that lineup, they will be deadly
clearly not an Albertan with this remark

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think the most important thing this team caan do over the next two years is to get rid of the deadweight salary and replace those players with one or more impact players. If this costs futures I'd be ok with that if there is a plan.

If they weren't going to add an impact player at this year's TDL, I wish they would have used the first rounder to dump some of that deadweight, but I doubt the thought even crossed Holland's mind.

Reactions: bone

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If they weren't going to add an impact player at this year's TDL, I wish they would have used the first rounder to dump some of that deadweight, but I doubt the thought even crossed Holland's mind.
I am not even convinced he need to use the first. That is what happens if you are are in a possition like Dubas was with Marleau with a guy who was over 35 with a full NMC and a $6.25M cap hit who would only approve a trade if it was followed by a buout. So you had to on very short notice find a team to eat $850K in real money but also take on $6.3M in dead cap space in one year.

It seems that cap sharing is now much more acceptable. If they are creative the cost to move Neal should be less than a 1st. It will be interesting to see what they do with Kassian. At $3.2M they could maybe gove him one more year to find his game. But if he plays like he has this year that contract is an issue.

Reactions: Little Fury

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
Oilers have a lot of cap space but not a lot of money freed up. They have I think 13 players to sign which doesn't give them any money to invest in a big name player. They'll need to resign 6 forwards to an average of $1M each, and that's with meagre raises for Yamamoto and RNH.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
RNH is younger, more versatile, more productive and overall better than Tatar. Some people have very short memories.

Agreed Klefbom makes things difficult, but that's just your decision on what to do with Barrie. If Klefbom's hurt next season, there's a good chance that Barrie's back. Also what has Bear done to earn $4m? Or Puljujarvi. Or Yamamoto.

I don't want the RNH of this year at the price he is rumored to be pursuing. For a significantly lower cap hit Tatar brings a similar game at worst.

I was confident Nurse would be a good defenseman in his prime and would have signed him long term at a rate between 6 and 7 mill per. He had an off year last year and a deal like that would have looked bad originally.

You gamble on a players pedigree and development to date with some expectations of growth. Take into account age and position...

I thought Klefbom was a poor choice to sign long term when we did but the price we got him at made it very easy to accept.

Holland absolutely needs to lock up some of our guys ala Klefbom style.

Bear is very similar to Klefbom who was up and down a lot to start his career. Because of Klefbom's injury status maybe you bridge Bear again to save cap space for resigning Barrie and push those 3 in sync.

But Puljujarvi and Yamamoto imo are heading into their prime and have shown enough with great pedigree... Those two will likely be worth more than 4 sooner than later especially playing with McDrai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad