Proposal: Off-Season Moves

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Alright, all the banter about this deadline aside, I think we're now all firmly in the camp that something big needs to happen this summer or shit hits the fan. So given the cap relief and unknowns with our UFA's, I think we can now argue about who the targets should be:D

Assuming Barrie is lost I wonder if Dumba is at all possible to fill his minutes on the top pair with Nurse.

Dougie Hamilton is a name I know some folks would back up the truck for if he hits Free Agency. How much would you throw at him?

Jaden Schwartz and Tomas Hertl are two guys I think would be a great adds for the top six if they were somehow able to shake loose. Enough that I'd entertain our blue chips in a deal with a first, though I'm sure people disagree about moving some of those prospects.

Patrik Laine is a other guy I would love to see, but I don't know what a deal for him would even begin to look like so I won't put a whole ton of stock into that one.

I'm coming around to a guy like Driedger as a cheaper option in net if a Koskinen buyout were to happen. Would it be possible to retain the cost of his buyout penalty in a trade, or even the full 50% and not have to buy out? I agree this player needs to be moved on from one way or another for next season and would rather see Smith return as backup barring a total meltdown to finish this year. I don't think you need to spend huge on goalies to be competitive until you've drafted your own future starter.

As for the third line pivot I'm not really sure but there's likely options out there.

What would make you happy going into next season that doesn't involve turning over half the roster which I think is pretty unrealistic.

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Really like the idea of Schwartz.

Id let Barrie walk + buy out Neal.

Resign Kulikov. Sign Schwartz + Tatar. Wouldnt mind Saad either.

Goalie is the tough spot. What other targets does we realistically have?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Really like the idea of Schwartz.

Id let Barrie walk + buy out Neal.

Resign Kulikov. Sign Schwartz + Tatar. Wouldnt mind Saad either.

Goalie is the tough spot. What other targets does we realistically have?
Off the top of my head there’s Andersen, Raanta, Rask, Ullmark & Elvis/Korpisalo (via trade).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Klefbom is going to be the big decider of whether Barrie gets re-signed or not. If Klefbom's missing significant time next season, you really have to think about bringing him back. He brings a lot of offense from the back end that isn't likely to be replicated.

One potential Barrie replacement that would be unpopular with some is bringing ADA in on a short deal at near league minimum. He brings a lot of the same elements to the table offensively, but he won't hold our feet to the fire in negotiations. It'd allow Holland to fill out the depth of the roster more effectively.

The big decider there would be Darnell, who played with the kid in SSM. Nurse is mature and respected enough to gauge whether a player like that is manageable in the locker room.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Klefbom is going to be the big decider of whether Barrie gets re-signed or not. If Klefbom's missing significant time next season, you really have to think about bringing him back. He brings a lot of offense from the back end that isn't likely to be replicated.

One potential Barrie replacement that would be unpopular with some is bringing ADA in on a short deal at near league minimum. He brings a lot of the same elements to the table offensively, but he won't hold our feet to the fire in negotiations. It'd allow Holland to fill out the depth of the roster more effectively.

The big decider there would be Darnell, who played with the kid in SSM. Nurse is mature and respected enough to gauge whether a player like that is manageable in the locker room.

I honestly think Bouch can come in and replace a lot (not all) of Barrie's offence. Especially if he plays a lot of mins with McDrai and PP.

f*** it would be hard to stomach ADA on this team to be honest.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I honestly think Bouch can come in and replace a lot (not all) of Barrie's offence. Especially if he plays a lot of mins with McDrai and PP.

f*** it would be hard to stomach ADA on this team to be honest.
The problem I have with that is Evan's still quite raw defensively. And Barrie's assignments are against some of the league's more dangerous forwards. It wouldn't be great for his development to just get thrown into the fire.

The team scored a lot at even strength this year from the back end. If you remove Barrie from the equation with no viable replacement next season, it's pretty likely that a lot of it goes away.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As I said in the other thread--let a lot of our junk go.

We have guys like Marody, Mcleod and Benson who should be ready by now--if not? trade them for picks to replenish the system.

Time to decide on Jones and Bear--do we keep one move the other?

We buy out Neal, expose Kassian and Kosk in the expansion draft. If Kost is not picked up? put him on the farm for the year and burn off his contract

If we have to decide between Barrie and Larsson---I keep Larsson--he can play both ends of the ice. Barrie gets pts and that is it.

We got to get Bouchard ice time to see what we have there

Broberg starts on the farm this fall

I know some have Holloway turning pro--but I am waiting for evidence he is leaving school

bottom line is we need to free up money

Reactions: Aerchon

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Would anyone trade for Kassian, Neal, or Koskinen @ 50% retention? That would be $1.6M for three years for Kassian, $2.875M for two years for Neal, and $2.25M for one year for Koskinen.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Would anyone trade for Kassian, Neal, or Koskinen @ 50% retention? That would be $1.6M for three years for Kassian, $2.875M for two years for Neal, and $2.25M for one year for Koskinen.

a rebuilding team might take Kassian--but we have seen when the shit gets real--he is on the bench

Neal is getting bought out and lets put Kosk on waivers see if their is any interest

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’d love it if Holland could unload Koskinen and sign Rask to a one year deal. Run him and Smith tandem. If he can’t land Hamilton, sign Barrie.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Send Kassian away, try to send Neal away if you can. Sign a #1 goalie.

And if you can't get at least top six winger then take a hike.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd sign Ullmark and Smith
Move Koskinen at 50% if you have to

Barrie and Larsson I think will be based on playoffs. If they play well and young guys don't step up, they will be probably kept, if the younger guys take a step up and Barrie and Larsson take a back seat, I think they go. I think one of them stays no matter what.

Imho one of Jones or Bear should go.
If Klefbom won't be able to play we need to find a top 4 left d.

I'd let some prospects fill the bottom 6 but keep a few guys who can PK.

Kassian could be taken by the expansion draft.

Id just buyout Neal and be done with it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think Holland definitely needs to have a contingency plan for Barrie not signing. Without a miraculous turnaround from Bear, they won't have any rightie ready for that top pairing slot.

Options are pricy/slim in UFA. Hamilton and Savard are probably the only legit top4 righties there. Montour, Ceci, Hamonic, Demers and Vatanen and whole lot of nothing after that.

Reactions: belair

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Saad
Coleman
Haula

those are the UFA I would target, every one of which should be under 4M, but I imagine Coleman will command a price. People can recall that Holland was the one who pushed the price up on Tampa acquiring him last year, was willing to part with a first

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think Holland definitely needs to have a contingency plan for Barrie not signing. Without a miraculous turnaround from Bear, they won't have any rightie ready for that top pairing slot.

Options are pricy/slim in UFA. Hamilton and Savard are probably the only legit top4 righties there. Montour, Ceci, Hamonic, Demers and Vatanen and whole lot of nothing after that.

I would wait and see what shakes out again via trade, see Schmidt going for free, I know he’s a lefty but Devon Toews was a sneaky good pickup on a cap crunched team

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
This will be the definitive offseason for Holland in Edmonton IMO. Will have a lot of cap space but a lot of holes to fill too.

Assuming Klef returns (big if), we buy-out Neal/Koskinen and bury Turris we should be looking at something like this currently:

XXX - McDavid - Puljujarvi
XXX - Draisaitl - Yamamoto (RFA)
XXX - XXX - Kassian (yuck)
Shore (RFA) - Khaira (RFA) - Archibald

Nurse - XXX
Klefbom - Bear
XXX - Bouchard
Russell

XXX
XXX

Turris ($525k)
Lucic ($750k)
Koskinen ($1.5M)
Neal ($1.916667M)
Sekera ($1.5M)

Leaves them with a little more than $29 million in cap space.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I'd move to a different look in that case.

Nurse Larsson
UFA/Klef Bouchard
Lagesson Bear

Keep Bear down the lineup until he proves he's evolved his game.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Don't buy out Neal. It's too much of a cap penalty for too long. Just ride it out for another year.

Agree with this. I hate having this dead cap space. I would rather trade picks to move these bad contracts. I mean the arguement we always hear is "window window window". So whats the point if this is the window of having the 25th pick overall that will be ready to start on the 3rd line in 2025?

Move some of these awful contracts with picks to bad teams.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This will be the definitive offseason for Holland in Edmonton IMO. Will have a lot of cap space but a lot of holes to fill too.

Assuming Klef returns (big if), we buy-out Neal/Koskinen and bury Turris we should be looking at something like this currently:

Nurse - XXX
Klefbom - Bear
XXX - Bouchard
Russell

XXX
XXX

Turris ($525k)
Lucic ($750k)
Koskinen ($1.5M)
Neal ($1.916667M)
Sekera ($1.5M)

Think they'll try to keep Haas around as well.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
The problem I have with that is Evan's still quite raw defensively. And Barrie's assignments are against some of the league's more dangerous forwards. It wouldn't be great for his development to just get thrown into the fire.

The team scored a lot at even strength this year from the back end. If you remove Barrie from the equation with no viable replacement next season, it's pretty likely that a lot of it goes away.

I think you could for sure move Bear back up with Nurse and give Bouch more sheltered defensive mins. But its a fair argument both ways

Reactions: Little Fury

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Nurse - XXX
Klefbom - Bear
XXX - Bouchard
Russell

XXX
XXX

Turris ($525k)
Lucic ($750k)
Koskinen ($1.5M)
Neal ($1.916667M)
Sekera ($1.5M)

Too make this work you NEED one of Benson/Mcleod too work for us right away starting next year. Preferably both.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think you could for sure move Bear back up with Nurse and give Bouch more sheltered defensive mins. But its a fair argument both ways
I think Bear is a whole other discussion. You have to make a decision on him pre-expansion, because there's a good chance protecting him leaves Klefbom or Larsson (who should be extended) open to be selected.

If Bear and Bouchard are both seeing regular minutes on next year's roster, it's a weaker unit all around.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I think Bear is a whole other discussion. You have to make a decision on him pre-expansion, because there's a good chance protecting him leaves Klefbom or Larsson (who should be extended) open to be selected.

If Bear and Bouchard are both seeing regular minutes on next year's roster, it's a weaker unit all around.

I see your point but I think we fundamentally disagree on Bear. But that's a whole different argument that doesnt belong here haha.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Something a little bit outside the UFA box:

With Tampa Bay probably having no way to stash a high-priced player on LTIR this coming year, the ability to poach someone from that team shouldn't be overlooked. I'd definitely make a push for someone like Killorn from there. Maybe we'd be on his 16 team no-trade list, but with a spot by 29 or 97 up for grabs, maybe he'd be ok with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad