Proposal: Off-Season Moves

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For pickups, the focus needs to be on guys tend to drive possession 5 on 5 while producing instead of just scorers. That's why I'm not into guys like Hoffman, but like guys like Tatar.

To turn the corner next year, we need a team that plays most of the game in the other end of the rink. Once that happens, even average goalies look good.

We seem to have both special teams going the right way, we now need a team that can put up 52-55% goal share at 5-on-5 then the team becomes really tough to play against particularly because of the strength of the special teams. Considering the team is already top 10 GF at 5 on 5, we really need guys that help move them from 24th in GA at 5 on 5 into the top 15 to push that.

I think all those things point to the same type of player.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
How many FWD got over 5 last year with term? If you guessed 0 you would be correct. I remember reading the same thing about Granlund, Hall, Hoffman, Toffoli last offseason. There’s even less chance there’s money to go around this year for a guy like Saad, who actually hasn’t scored 25 in 5 years now.

The market won't be back to it's old levels, but it will certainly be better $-wise for UFAs than it was last year. Teams have known for over a year now that the cap is staying flat and will be letting other players go accordingly to accomodate for the better UFAs.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The market won't be back to it's old levels, but it will certainly be better $-wise for UFAs than it was last year. Teams have known for over a year now that the cap is staying flat and will be letting other players go accordingly to accomodate for the better UFAs.

And teams know there's better news on the horizon with TV deals getting signed. I still don't think we're going to be seeing any 8x8 contracts, but we could see some 5x5.

PS. There have been some contracts over $5M for more than 3 or more years signed by existing teams in season though. Barzal, Bjorkstrand, Mantha, Gallagher, Anderson and Domi.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
And teams know there's better news on the horizon with TV deals getting signed. I still don't think we're going to be seeing any 8x8 contracts, but we could see some 5x5.

I agree, but that doesn't mean Saad is going to settle for $3.5-4m, unless you think he'd go for a 1 year "show me".

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I agree, but that doesn't mean Saad is going to settle for $3.5-4m, unless you think he'd go for a 1 year "show me".

I don't think he will setting for 3.5-4.0 unless it a single year deal. My comments were moreso agreeing with you that there may be some bigger contracts this year than last, and possibly some over $5M with terms of 3 or more year. I just don't think we'll see any of the $8x8 variety. And certainly Saad wouldn't have much of a case for $8x8.

Reactions: McOilers97

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I trash Holland a lot and rightly so but I do not envy him this summer. He will be under a microscope and his job will be incredibly complicated.

I don't think he is even close to competent enough to nagiviagte what will be the most important summer for a significant amount of the relevant future. Aka the tail end of the McDrai era.

He has to plan for resigning Draisaitl at a significant raise as a priority... now.

All that aside his #1 thing to complete is sign Darnell Nurse long term for hopefully less than 9 million. That will be the first domino that determines where else and how much he has to spend this year while looking forward to next plus. You can't sign a forward for more than one year without factoring in Nurses raise.

Holland has to get out of this stop gag gig he has going. He needs to start signing some of our young talent into UFA years at a discount. Bear, Yamamoto, and Puljujärvi for example.

Number 2 priority is getting a legit syarting goalie with term.

Honestly between priority 1 and 2 plus some extentions... That's it. We are mostly done.

Priority 3/4 A third line center and second line left winger. I'd love a guy like Tatar for the winger but I doubt Holland can even get a #3 center. He has been trying since he got here.

We really need to rely on our youth next year. I would really push for the following type of line up.

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Draisaitl Yamamoto
Neal McLeod Kassian
Shore Kharia Archibald
Kahun Turris

Nurse (big money) Bouchard
Klefbom/? Bear
Laggesson Russell
Jones

XXX (big money)
Koskinen

Reactions: barry halls

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't think he will setting for 3.5-4.0 unless it a single year deal. My comments were moreso agreeing with you that there may be some bigger contracts this year than last, and possibly some over $5M with terms of 3 or more year. I just don't think we'll see any of the $8x8 variety. And certainly Saad wouldn't have much of a case for $8x8.

Yeah I agree, and Saad has no case for that kind of money. I figure he'll push for something like $5m x 4-5 though if he can get it from someone.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah I agree, and Saad has no case for that kind of money. I figure he'll push for something like $5m x 4-5 though if he can get it from someone.

Someone might do that. I'm not sure I like that number for Edmonton as I like a couple guys a bit better, but I'd at least have the conversation and see if others are biting or not.

What's interesting is I'm curious if the flat cap may finally start separating the true drivers to the top of the pay scale instead of these players who are good but still need someone else to make them produce at the required rates. For too long free agency has rewarded the traditional complimentary players only to see them crash and burn if they are the best player on their line.

Reactions: McOilers97

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Someone might do that. I'm not sure I like that number for Edmonton as I like a couple guys a bit better, but I'd at least have the conversation and see if others are biting or not.

Who else you liking for the Oilers?

Tatar/Hoffman/Schwartz types?

Reactions: bone

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
I'd go hard after Hamilton, with Barrie as a backup plan.
Also I'd try to buy low on Laine, is trade value is probably at an all time low. Would be magical with Mcdavid or Drai

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I trash Holland a lot and rightly so but I do not envy him this summer. He will be under a microscope and his job will be incredibly complicated.

I don't think he is even close to competent enough to nagiviagte what will be the most important summer for a significant amount of the relevant future. Aka the tail end of the McDrai era.

He has to plan for resigning Draisaitl at a significant raise as a priority... now.

All that aside his #1 thing to complete is sign Darnell Nurse long term for hopefully less than 9 million. That will be the first domino that determines where else and how much he has to spend this year while looking forward to next plus. You can't sign a forward for more than one year without factoring in Nurses raise.

Holland has to get out of this stop gag gig he has going. He needs to start signing some of our young talent into UFA years at a discount. Bear, Yamamoto, and Puljujärvi for example.

Honestly between priority 1 and 2 plus some extentions... That's it. We are mostly done.

Priority 3/4 A third line center and second line left winger. I'd love a guy like Tatar for the winger but I doubt Holland can even get a #3 center. He has been trying since he got here.

We really need to rely on our youth next year. I would really push for the following type of line up.

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Neal McLeod Kassian
Shore Kharia Archibald
Kahun Turris

Klefbom/? Bear
Laggesson Russell
Jones

XXX (big money)
Koskinen

This is something everyone can agree on, even you, I know he’s been a GM for 30 years or whatever, but I don’t think he’s ever handled a more critical offseason. In which he has to make trades and signings to take this team over the top, not wait for his picks to develop, like he did for all those years in Detroit.

I doubt we see a Nurse contract, because Nurses value literally can’t get higher this offseason unless the Oilers win the cup and he’s the MVP, he’s having a Norris season. People were puking at the the thought of him getting 7 last year, now 9 isn’t out the question? 40 games later? The one critic I have of Holland right now was walking Nurse to UFA, if Nurse wanted a bridge it should have been a 1 year so he was a RFA, or he should have attempted to buy UFA years, very rarely will a GM walk a player right UFA and want to deal with them in their first year of eligibility like Holland chose to.

How he handles a struggling RNH, a possibly over producing Barrie, and a revamped Larsson in negotiations is priority one, because that will make or break the rest of the offseason.

2nd is finding a goalie that can actually possibly play net here for 5 more years, long after Smith is retired and Koskinen is gone, someone that can grow with the team and give them consistency.

3rd is finding Mcdavid his Kunitz, Dupuis,Hossa, etc. guys that he can play with and actually find chemistry at 5V5 and that can actually bring value to the team, not just watch him play. Now if that’s decided to be Draisaitl, then you need a 2Nd line C to support them.

I don’t envy his job, unfortunately for him if he fails and Edmonton, at the very least, isn’t a cup contender when his contract is up in 3 years, his legacy will probably get a skid mark. If he’s able to take this team to a cup final by that time though, he likely goes down as the greatest GM to ever do it.

Reactions: Aerchon

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So what can Holland actually do?

Resign Rnh and Larsson to 10 percent raises.

Maybe's
Debrusk probably available somewhat reasonable as long as Sweeney has taken his meds.
Hoffman probably available for 4.5 x2. at least to us. One dimensional I know.
Barclay Goodrow for the 3lw. at 1.5 for 2 years
Going to have to overpay Driedger. 3.5 x3

By end of Jan 22

Debrusk / McD / Hoffman-Pulju

Rnh / Drais / Yamamoto

Goodrow-Benson / Holloway / Pulju-Hoffman

Shore / Khaira-McLeod / Archibald

Hopefully Debrusk is a placeholder for Holloway and Mcleod develops enough to be 3c the year after.
Pulju plays top line when Hoffman is in the dog house or when were playing a team with two strong top lines and possibly all away games.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Larsson is showing his true form and is not someone they can afford to let go; personally, I feel that Manson and Larsson would make it absolute hell for other teams to play against. I love offensive D, but Bouchard needs his chance and the LD for second pairing would hopefully have puck moving ability

Nurse-Manson
Klef-Larsson

That's a very solid D core,imo

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Tampa Bay will not only need help with a couple of signed players but wont be able to sign some of the UFAs they have.
They have traded away their first and second and will need some ELCs to keep it going.
Id target both Killorn and Cirelli. Its most likely they would want to keep the younger Cirelli, but Killorn would be a nice gritty veteran left winger.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Resigning Kulikov is he does half decent probably a good idea as both Broberg needs the Ahl year and Sammy probably should play at least 40 games there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Neal McLeod Kassian
Shore Kharia Archibald
Kahun Turris

Klefbom/? Bear
Laggesson Russell
Jones

XXX (big money)
Koskinen
Unless Tatar and that Goalie are making like 10 mill each, we still going to have a shit ton of cap with that lineup.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
My worry is that he prices himself too high.

Someone will pay him why not us, As i said we have a legion of other non impact players on this team, wave bye to RNH, make a trade.

Keep guys that make a difference dump the inconsistent guys who play good half the time over a period of 5 years. (ie Adam Larsson)

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Someone will pay him why not us, As i said we have a legion of other non impact players on this team, wave bye to RNH, make a trade.

Keep guys that make a difference dump the inconsistent guys who play good half the time over a period of 5 years. (ie Adam Larsson)
Barrie will be exposed in the playoffs.
Lets hope its not us that pays.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hyman scores again ... think he will draw interest from the Oilers this summer.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I like Schwartz as a player but you would have thought he'd be traded at the deadline if they didn't think they were resigning him or atleast going to try and resign him? He's at $5.4M now and I can't imagine he'd want a paycut, especially if he's coming to Edmonton. Couple that with his injury concerns and declining offensive play the past few years not sure a guy like that is the right target - could become an anchor very quickly.

3C: I know this is very unlikely but if Lowry somehow hits the market I would throw a decent amount of money at him. Solid 2-way player who could really solidify that #3C spot (can also play LW).

LW: Mikael Granlund is also a player that intrigues me but not sure if he'd be willing to sign in Edmonton. Highly talented 2-way left winger who I feel would fit in well with Draisatl.

D: Hamilton is the guy we should throw the most money at and I don't care if it'd cost us RNH and Barrie.

G: Tons of options out there but I wouldn't mind another platoon (minus Koskinen) of Smith, Skinner and someone cheap. If we could somehow lure a guy like Ullmark or Mrazek that'd also be intriguing as I don't know how much longer we can trust Smith as our 70% starter.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Unless Tatar and that Goalie are making like 10 mill each, we still going to have a shit ton of cap with that lineup.

Next year we may have some extra space and can sign someone big for 1 year but within that 2 year window you are giving out a lot of money to:

Tatar 5+, McDavid 12.5 Puljujarvi 4+, Holloway .9, Draisaitl 8.5, Yamamoto 4+
Neal 6.25, McLeod .9, Kassian 3.2.
Shore .9, Kharia 1.3, Archibald 1.5.
Kahun 1, Turris 1.65

Nurse 9, Bouchard .9.
Klefbom 4, Bear 4.
Lagesson .9, Russell 1.25
Jones 1.

XXX 7+
Koskinen 4.5

Believe that puts us at right around the cap and really doesn't leave much for the eventual Draisaitl signing. Hopefully the cap is going up by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad