Proposal: Off-Season Moves

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Still surprised so many people are just happy to walk away from Barrie, a player that has provided a need this team has had for like 15 years.

Other than Nurse he would be # 1 priority for this team for me on defense.

As for the rest of team I care about 4 or 5 players in total for this team and the rest I could care less if they stay or go.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As we seen this last UFA period we werent the only ones looking for a goalie and when the chairs were filled we didn't have one. Holland if i remember correctly talked to three different agents. Now if we can fix our defense before he goes shopping he will have a better chance.

Goalie is the back bone of this team's success, even for all of McDavid and Draisaitl's scoring we've seen the team completely craters without minimum .915 goaltending.

This team just cannot play with average to poor goaltending, it total demoralizes them even in the freaking play in, yes Smith gave away a bad goal, but it felt like they could never find their footing in that series because there'd always be a wonky goal given up and it killed their confidence.

It just felt like they could not get over the mental block of some bad goals.

Goaltending is not a maybe, it's a must. Unless you are added like a stud star defenceman that controls the game from the back end we're just not good enough defensively.

Too many young forwards that make mistakes and too many young D to work into the system that will crap the bed (nature of development).

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Goalie is the back bone of this team's success, even for all of McDavid and Draisaitl's scoring we've seen the team completely craters without minimum .915 goaltending.

This team just cannot play with average to poor goaltending, it total demoralizes them even in the freaking play in, yes Smith gave away a bad goal, but it felt like they could never find their footing in that series because there'd always be a wonky goal given up and it killed their confidence.

Goaltending is not a maybe, it's a must. Unless you are added like a stud star defenceman that controls the game from the back end we're just not good enough defensively.

Too many young forwards that make mistakes and too many young D to work into the system that will crap the bed (nature of development).[/Quote)
So we agree!

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I put this elsewhere but probably belongs here. We have around 24M in space before we sign FA’s. This is how I would spend that money. And like I put above, Neal should be bought out and I would look long and hard and retaining on Koskinen to get out from his last season.

SAAD(3.5-4M)- McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH(5x5) - Draisaitl - Yamo 2X2
Coleman(3M)
-Haula(2M)- Kassian
Neal - Turris- Archibald

Nurse - Larsson(5M)
Klefbom - Bouchard
Kulikov(2.5M)- Russell
Lagesson
Driedger(3.5M)
Koskinen
Stalock

I would move Bear out for a similar FWD, and I would move Jones to Seattle via expansion

Saad is intriguing, but in no way is he taking $3.5-4m. $5m MINIMUM, as he is good for 20-25 goals any season.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Too many young forwards that make mistakes and too many young D to work into the system that will crap the bed (nature of development).
Perhaps you missed what i was saying. Absolutely we need a starter!
But the smartest UFA available goalies and agents will look at the possible Defensive structure in front of them and not just the dollars.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've said this before, but I could envision the Oilers going into next year with 3 goalies.

Dreidger - 3 million
Smith - 2 million + performance bonuses

Koskinen - 4.5 million, but becomes 3.5 in the AHL.

If Smith hits a brick wall due to age, then you bring Koskinen up to be the back up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Perhaps you missed what i was saying. Absolutely we need a starter!
But the smartest UFA available goalies and agents will look at the possible Defensive structure in front of them and not just the dollars.

I mean we've had a good regular season record now for two years now (95 point pace last year as of game 71, 100+ point pace this year) and we have obviously two of the top players in the league.

I think a goalie like Dreidger would look to sign here.

We're not the terrible Oilers of 3 years ago anymore.

Reactions: McOilers97

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I've said this before, but I could envision the Oilers going into next year with 3 goalies.

Dreidger - 3 million
Smith - 2 million + performance bonuses

Koskinen - 4.5 million, but becomes 3.5 in the AHL.

If Smith hits a brick wall due to age, then you bring Koskinen up to be the back up.
Neither Samuel or Spencer are ready. Unless you think Florida cant afford him. Our chance to get Dreidger has passed i think.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Still surprised so many people are just happy to walk away from Barrie, a player that has provided a need this team has had for like 15 years.

As for the rest of team I care about 4 or 5 players in total for this team and the rest I could care less if they stay or go.
My worry is that he prices himself too high.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I mean why does a team take Neal for two more years at almost $6 million for only a late first? The guy can't even crack our lineup. And by the looks of it Washington just paid a 2nd to get out of 2 more years at $2.75 million of Panik. I just don't see how you get the upgrades needed to improve the team with nearly $6 million sitting in the press box on a nightly basis.

Youre right its going to be very hard to do it because its such a raw deal. But the only alternative is to buy him out which would EXTEND the pain. Lets just deal with it and get it over and done with if we can move him for picks.

Honestly I hope we do something sleezy and LTIR him somehow.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Neither Samuel or Spencer are ready. Unless you think Florida cant afford him. Our chance to get Dreidger has passed i think.

Florida's not signing Dreidger, they're already paying Bob a fortune and Dreidger wouldn't want to be in that situation anyway (another goalie there with a $10 million contract means the other guy has to be the starter pretty much by default).

Here we're a young team with a lot of explosive talent that's been decent/good now for 2 years, it's a situation maybe like Graubauer in Colorado when he first got there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

If he's willing to sign say 5.75 per x 5 years, ok lets talk. If he is, I move out Klefbom.

If he wants a good deal more than that, thanks for the year, and wish you well on your way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If RNH does not resign or you decide he asking for too much, I'd offer Hyman 4 mill x 4 years and Hoffman 4 mill x 1 year.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Neal - send him to the AHL if he is as slow and useless as now. Doubtful he does that and he simply retires or asks to cancel. This is rarely done, but Neal is an exception, we never signed him to that contract. The only reason we traded for him was to get rid of an even bigger stink (Lucic). No loyalty is owed. Even if he stuck around for next season, no way he skates in Bako for 2 full years. Time to play hardball.

Goalie - get UFA Ullmark if possible in tandem with Kos if you can't trade him. We've rolled the dice twice with Smith and done OK, but one day very very soon he's going fade badly. I would not count on him next year as anything more than a limited backup.

C - CMD, Drai, JJ all fine. Add a RHC who can skate and PK and win faceoffs. Haas is OK as a cheap #5C. Turris to AHL with Neal.

LW - try real hard to get UFA Swartz or Hyman for CMD's line and Holloway for L3. That would be an awesome upgrade. Keep RNH (5x$5 w/ NMC) on L2, Shore on L4 and add Benson to fill in. If RNH wants $6+ then try sign Danault for less.

RW - JP, Yamo, Kass and Archie are fine. Let Chiasson and Russell walk.

RD - let Barrie walk and go into camp with Larrson (resigned) Bear and Bouchard

LD - Nurse and I might try resign Kulikov to a short deal if he performs OK. Samarukov is ready for 3rd pair duty and Broburg to AHL for half a year. I deal Jones at end of the year and leave Lags exposed for Seattle. Russell is 7D for a year and then shake the man's hand and call it a career.

Holes are fillable in the off-season and then our window is open for multiple years. Just try win a round and give TOR a serious push. That would be considered a successful season.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Florida's not signing Dreidger, they're already paying Bob a fortune and Dreidger wouldn't want to be in that situation anyway (another goalie there with a $10 million contract means the other guy has to be the starter pretty much by default).

Here we're a young team with a lot of explosive talent that's been decent/good now for 2 years, it's a situation maybe like Graubauer in Colorado when he first got there.
Perhaps your right cause with Spencer coming up they will only offer 30 NHL game Driedger a short term contract at most and his agent will want to cash in on his play this spring.
What kind of an offer do you think would get him here?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Perhaps your right cause with Spencer coming up they will only offer 30 NHL game Driedger a short term contract at most and his agent will want to cash in on his play this spring.
What kind of an offer do you think would get him here?

2 years, 2.5 mill-3 mill should probably do it. That's a lot of money for a guy who's only played about 60 games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm basing this off of moves teams have done in the past

Buyout Neal
Kassian to Seattle in expansion (5th round pick to take him)
Jones, 2022 2nd, 2022 3rd for Jake Debrusk.
Koskinen 50% retained, Marody to a team for a 6th
Rights to Nuge, Lavoie, 2021 1st for Patrick Laine sign 7.5 mill
Dreidger 3millx2
Smith 1.5mill x1
Bjugstad 3.125 x2
Yamamoto 3 X2
Holloway ELC
Resign Shore and Khaira 1.1 each
Larsson 4.25x2
Kulikov 1.2x1

Laine - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Debrusk - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
McLeod/Kahun/Benson - Bjugstand - Holloway
Shore/Kahun - Khaira - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Larsson
Kulikov - Bouchard

Dreidger
Smith

If some of the signings were too low, still have 2 mill in capspace

Notes: I believe Debrusk is having a down year but still a very good player. He isn't the best defensively but Drai and Yamamoto seem to have been great this year so they can help him with that. He had 19 goals last year and 27 before.
The Laine trade sounds weird but Columbus needs a center, Nuge is the best of the bunch(in free agency) and they get a 1st and another prospect out of it. Especially if they keep coach, Laine is gone.

Last edited:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Tampa Bay will not only need help with a couple of signed players but wont be able to sign some of the UFAs they have.
They have traded away their first and second and will need some ELCs to keep it going.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm basing this off of moves teams have done in the past

Buyout Neal
Kassian to Seattle in expansion (5th round pick to take him)
Jones, 2022 2nd, 2022 3rd for Jake Debrusk.
Koskinen 50% retained, Marody to a team for a 6th
Rights to Nuge, Lavoie, 2021 1st for Patrick Laine sign 7.5 mill
Dreidger 3millx2
Smith 1.5mill x2
Bjugstad 3.125 x2
Yamamoto 3 X2
Holloway ELC
Resign Shore and Khaira 1.1 each
Larsson 4.25x2
Kulikov 1.2x1

Laine - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Debrusk - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
McLeod/Kahun/Benson - Bjugstand - Holloway
Shore/Kahun - Khaira - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Larsson
Kulikov - Bouchard

Dreidger
Smith

If some of the signings were too low, still have 2 mill in capspace

Notes: I believe Debrusk is having a down year but still a very good player. He isn't the best defensively but Drai and Yamamoto seem to have been great this year so they can help him with that. He had 19 goals last year and 27 before.
The Laine trade sounds weird but Columbus needs a center, Nuge is the best of the bunch and they get a 1st and another prospect out of it. Especially if they keep coach, Laine is gone.

Why are you giving Smith a 2 year deal?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
For better or worse i think Holland the plodder resigns RNH.
Laine from Winterpeg to LaLaland.
Debrusk can be had for a better price when Bruins try to resign Hall for 8.5 mil.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Why are you giving Smith a 2 year deal?

Maybe you can talk him into a two year at $1.0M with a $500k game played bonus and if he's done at the end of the year just waive him and he stays at home collecting $1M without playing without any cap implications. For Smith it's more guaranteed money as teams aren't going to be signing him at 40. If he miraculously can contribute in his 40 year old season then great.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Saad is intriguing, but in no way is he taking $3.5-4m. $5m MINIMUM, as he is good for 20-25 goals any season.
How many FWD got over 5 last year with term? If you guessed 0 you would be correct. I remember reading the same thing about Granlund, Hall, Hoffman, Toffoli last offseason. There’s even less chance there’s money to go around this year for a guy like Saad, who actually hasn’t scored 25 in 5 years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad