Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 10th: Melk Man Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Yep instead of Molina's 1. As a lefty he can survive and thrive on a fastball, change-up combo.

True, but he doesn't have that ;)

He has a plus fastball, a potential plus curveball, and a changeup that he doesn't really have a feel for (work in progress)

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Haha if anyone had brought up Nolins name 3 weeks ago in trade not a single person would have scoffed at dealing him but now that hes seen some helium on some prospect lists people wont deal him?

I wouldnt even blink with including him in a package for a good player.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Haha if anyone had brought up Nolins name 3 weeks ago in trade not a single person would have scoffed at dealing him but now that hes seen some helium on some prospect lists people wont deal him?

It's all part of AA's master plan. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Here's the thing. The advanced stats say he's mediocre, traditional stats say he's amazing. At this point, you have to go with the stats that are proven right by this play. Joe Carter had pretty awful advanced stats, but he was a massive part of the Jays two world series titles.

Even ignoring the advanced statistics, a LOB% above 80% is hard to maintain (just ask Ricky Romero and his 79.2% in 2011). Especially when you only strikeout 6 per every nine innings. You can't always count on leading the league in LOB% and having the league's lowest babip. I expect regression, but that just my opinion.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

I never said I wouldn't deal him, just that he is not a bad prospect.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
"Yes sir, there she goes"

Jays radio voice Jerry Howarth wins Canadian HOF Graney Award

Jerry Howarth, the longtime radio voice of the Toronto Blue Jays, has been named the winner of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame's 2012 Jack Graney Award.

The award is presented to a member of the media who has made significant contributions to baseball in Canada through their life's work.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/m...mlb-blue-jays-jerry-howarth-canadian-hof.html

Congrats Jerry. I've spent many trips on the highway listening to his broadcasts.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Lol we joke, but we all saw it first hand with Nestor Molina last winter. Farrell tried the same jedi mind trick this summer with Sam Dyson, but I guess the force is not as strong with him.

Personally, I think Dyson's value is to us. He's not someone that we can convince others that he is a stud, but his skillset still allows him to be effective some day (just not when we called him up).

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
"Yes sir, there she goes"

Jays radio voice Jerry Howarth wins Canadian HOF Graney Award

Congrats Jerry. I've spent many trips on the highway listening to his broadcasts.

Almost a shame we didn't find that out during the last thread ("Tom Cheek Memorial"). Congrats, Jerry!

In othe news, the Hamilton trade makes me wonder if Rasmus would be attractive to Texas, along with JP. Separately, I'm also wondering whether a healthy Morales would represent an option to upgrade (or platoon with) Lind. Can't see his splits right now, anyone?

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Almost a shame we didn't find that out during the last thread ("Tom Cheek Memorial"). Congrats, Jerry!

In othe news, the Hamilton trade makes me wonder if Rasmus would be attractive to Texas, along with JP. Separately, I'm also wondering whether a healthy Morales would represent an option to upgrade (or platoon with) Lind. Can't see his splits right now, anyone?

Yes I think he might be, and Upton likely to remain in Arizona will make that even more of the case. Morales has hit .290 as a Lefty vs RHP over his career.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Morales is equally worthless against lefties even though he's a switch hitter. Sub .230 batting average, and an obp just below .290, yuck. I don't think Lind is going to be as bad as he was last year. With that, I don't think Morales would really be that much of an upgrade to be worth spending considerable assets. If he comes cheap ofcourse, anything is possible.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Peter Bourjos would be a fantastic pick-up for any team, including the Jays.

With Rasmus and Gose waiting in the minors I don't think there is a need for Bourjos.

Bourjos is an upgrade on Rasmus, and is more the type of player the Jays seem interested in.

Gose is in pretty much the same boat as Bourjos. Both are assets, which doesn't hurt.

Anyway, the point is that Bourjos can be had for below-market value with the emergence of Trout, and his elite speed and elite defense is welcome on any team. The Jays too, regardless of Rasmus or Gose.

Last edited:

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
why get bourjos if he's a project like rasmus. If we're going to bank on a project panning out, lets make it rasmus

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
especially considering what the phillies had to give up for ben revere. Not sure i'd be prepared to fork up a similar package

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Do you mean Sierra and Gose?

I think he means with Rasmus (on big league team) and Gose (in the minors).

It will be really interesting to see what happens if Gose absolutely rips up AAA for the first 2 months or so?!.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think he means with Rasmus (on big league team) and Gose (in the minors).

It will be really interesting to see what happens if Gose absolutely rips up AAA for the first 2 months or so?!.

Yeah that is what I meant.

I think we can say the same about Gose. If Rasmus starts fulfilling his potential and Gose is on track in the minors he's a pretty decent trade chip to upgrade our pitching staff even more. Toronto has D.J Davis who also projects as a 5-tool CF.

I think with Texas lacking in OF depth, I wonder if there is a possible fit and we can pry a guy like Mike Olt away. Now I'm aware that Gose is a better prospect, playing a more valuable position like CF to Mike Olt's 3B/1B but if Olt reaches his potential we're looking at a good power bat at 1B which will put Encarnacion to DH permanently. The only way, IMO, the deal could work for Toronto is if we make it bigger.

Mike Olt
Alexi Ogando

for

J.P Arencibia
Anthony Gose

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
The Angels are interested in Jonathon Niese and share an interest in R.A. Dickey with the Rangers, reports Matthew Cerrone of Metsblog.com. Cerrone believes the Blue Jays also have their eye on both Mets pitchers, with Niese as their first choice.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#pZ0VKGoRQgiZFh8X.99

Seems like Jays might be more interested in Niese over Dickey, which doesn't surprise me at all. Niese is locked up to a good contract.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The Angels are interested in Jonathon Niese and share an interest in R.A. Dickey with the Rangers, reports Matthew Cerrone of Metsblog.com. Cerrone believes the Blue Jays also have their eye on both Mets pitchers, with Niese as their first choice.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#pZ0VKGoRQgiZFh8X.99

Seems like Jays might be more interested in Niese over Dickey, which doesn't surprise me at all. Niese is locked up to a good contract.

Depending on the cost Niese would be a awesome addition and give the rotation some stability going forward if JJ decides to bolt after the season. Niese is like under control for another 5 years or so and on a good contract.

Johnson - Morrow - Buerhle - Niese - Romero is a very very good rotation and if Romero bounces back this team would look dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad