Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 10th: Melk Man Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
tough week for Rangers, Greinke first then Hamilton.

They never had Greinke. I think we all saw this coming in regards to Hamilton leaving Tex. Too many options, resulting in a bidding war for his services. Rangers were prepared for this. It's up to Olt/Profar to live up to their hype.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
5/125 for Josh. I swear, I think everyone was right on 25M amount but the question were term but I don't think 5 is that bad. The last one or two years is still going to be tough to swallow.

I do wonder how much better Angels are as they've lost Hunter + Grienke + Walden + Haren + Santana for Hamilton + Hanson + Burnett. It would have cost significantly more re-signing those guys though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
A bit more information on Alford.

(Link)

--------------------------------

I wasn't going to create a new one but the post limit was getting pretty high.

329 rushing yards in 5 games as QB?!?!?! :amazed: His receivers must be horrible or the opposing d must be extremely zone-happy if he has to scramble that much :laugh:

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
They never had Greinke. I think we all saw this coming in regards to Hamilton leaving Tex. Too many options, resulting in a bidding war for his services. Rangers were prepared for this. It's up to Olt/Profar to live up to their hype.

I mean them being in the running for Greinke and losing out on him. Jon Heyman said they werent even given an opportunity to match. Its not like we didnt see it coming, but still sucks to lose him to a division rival.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hanson sucks, but their offence is killer now. They were a top 5 offensive team last year, now they'll likely be top 2 with Detroit, and maybe us right there with them. :D

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
329 rushing yards in 5 games as QB?!?!?! :amazed: His receivers must be horrible or the opposing d must be extremely zone-happy if he has to scramble that much :laugh:

Its college

Johnny Manziel (QB who won the Heisman this year) ran for 1,181 yards and 19 TD. When my boy Cam was tearing it up at Auburn he ran for 1,473 yards and 20 TD. A ton of teams just run the read option offense out of the spread.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well hopefully he's completely overcome his drug and alcohol issues because making that much and living in LA is a deadly combo for a former addict.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pretty sure he wanted to switch schools because his team sucked.

Would you guys take the Rangers over the Angels right now? I think I would because the Rangers have way better pitching, but the Angels have a killer offence.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Pretty sure he wanted to switch schools because his team sucked.

Would you guys take the Rangers over the Angels right now? I think I would because the Rangers have way better pitching, but the Angels have a killer offence.

If Oakland wins the division I'll throw up

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Red Sox picks up the Dempster fire...and he would be the best pitcher ERA wise last year.....

Napoli, Dempster, and wait for youth = 5th place for 3 yrs.

Don't worry about the WC, aim for the division.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You have to wonder if AA's strategy of sinking big money into the draft will change with the new payroll. He may be forced to go with more of a traditional approach and won't be able to draft some of the players that drop due to signability concerns. It has been his willingness to invest in these picks that has resulted in such a stacked minor league system.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You have to wonder if AA's strategy of sinking big money into the draft will change with the new payroll. He may be forced to go with more of a traditional approach and won't be able to draft some of the players that drop due to signability concerns. It has been his willingness to invest in these picks that has resulted in such a stacked minor league system.

It's those type of high risk picks that have catapulted this prospect group up through the rankings. For that I applaud him and the staff involved. I don't see why new payroll parameters should cause them to deviate from a successful plan.

The only way it would effect our prospects would be in the international market where the Jays have been extremely aggressive in the past. I think there's a new cap on how much money you can spend on IFAs anyway.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

MLB has put a cap on draft spending, beginning in June 2012. It forces General Managers to be more creative with the available money. AA did well under the new rules this past year. His drafting and development strategy will not be affected, at all, by the new level of payroll.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Are you saying Bryant falls to the 2nd round?

Yeah I had a brain fart, meant to say as a 2nd option in the first round, don't know what happened :help:

Also, can't believe the type of money that was spent today. 5 years is 2 too many for Hamilton, especially at that price, and >$13M per year for Dempster who got kind of rocked by non-Boston AL teams this year is asinine, even in this spending period.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
i'd rather hamilton go to the angels than texas. Why should anyone feel bad for Texas? They got Darvish last year, and they are probably the team that is best set for now and the future. Its good to see them lose a huge piece

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
At this point I think 3 AL East teams make the playoffs and Rangers just miss out. I have Angels, Tigers, and Jays winning the division and Yankees and Rays in the wildcard. I really think Yankees are gonna start to struggle a bit this year and just barely squeek in.

For the NL I have the Nationals, Reds, and Dodgers winning the divisions and Braves and Cards in the Wild Card.

My World Series matchup is Jays and Reds.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad