Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 10th: Melk Man Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Me

Oct 15, 2012
the slum
Rasmus is a stud. After next season you guys will feel stupid for wanting to trade him.

On another note, what do you guys think Drabeks and Hutchinsons future with the jays looks like? Also, what are you guys expecting out of Happ? I am so excited to see some quality baseball finally...April can't come soon enough.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Just thinking about what Team Canada will look like in the WBC if Russell Martin actually plays SS. We'll have a very good squad and I think we could pull off some upsets.

C- George Kottaras
1st- Joey Votto
2nd- Pete Orr
SS- Russell Martin
3rd- Brett Lawrie
DH- Justin Morneau
LF- Jason Bay
CF- Michael Saunders
RF- Taylor Green

Starting Pitchers:

1. Ryan Demster
2. Scott Diamond
3. Erik Bedard
4. Jeff Francis

Relievers:

Jesse Crain
Scott Richmond
Chris Leroux
Jim Henderson
Rich Harden (if recovered)
Shawn Hill
Phillipe Aumont
John Axeford

Bench: Mark Teahan, Mike Nickeas, Adam Stern

What do you guys think the team will look like?

Last edited:

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Lol.

toriihunter.png

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I read an interview with Lawrie saying he can't wait for Spring Training and feels this team has potential to get it done. Good to see how excited the players are with our offseason as well

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Rasmus is a stud. After next season you guys will feel stupid for wanting to trade him.

On another note, what do you guys think Drabeks and Hutchinsons future with the jays looks like? Also, what are you guys expecting out of Happ? I am so excited to see some quality baseball finally...April can't come soon enough.

I think Happ will be a very good #5 pitcher for us. He was putting some good starts together at the end of last year. Hopefully it continues.

Drabek I think comes back as a relief pitcher, which could suit him. Huch will be a great starter for us. I think both come back healthy, Drabek late this year and Huch next year

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
From MLBTR:

"Happy birthday to Cubs great Fergie Jenkins, who was born 70 years ago today in Chatham, Ontario. The 1971 NL Cy Young Award winner won 167 games in 10 years with the Cubs and wore the red 'C' into the Hall of Fame when he was inducted in 1991."

Many happy returns, Fergie!

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Yeah that is what I meant.

I think we can say the same about Gose. If Rasmus starts fulfilling his potential and Gose is on track in the minors he's a pretty decent trade chip to upgrade our pitching staff even more. Toronto has D.J Davis who also projects as a 5-tool CF.

I think with Texas lacking in OF depth, I wonder if there is a possible fit and we can pry a guy like Mike Olt away. Now I'm aware that Gose is a better prospect, playing a more valuable position like CF to Mike Olt's 3B/1B but if Olt reaches his potential we're looking at a good power bat at 1B which will put Encarnacion to DH permanently. The only way, IMO, the deal could work for Toronto is if we make it bigger.

Mike Olt
Alexi Ogando

for

J.P Arencibia
Anthony Gose

DJ Davis does not project to be a 5 tool player. The arm is not there. As a result, his defensive value is probably not going to be as high as Gose's. He's got a cannon.

The hit and power tools could be better with Davis though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Just thinking about what Team Canada will look like in the WBC if Russell Martin actually plays SS. We'll have a very good squad and I think we could pull off some upsets.

C- George Kottaras
1st- Joey Votto
2nd- Pete Orr
SS- Russell Martin
3rd- Brett Lawrie
DH- Justin Morneau
LF- Jason Bay
CF- Michael Saunders
RF- Taylor Green

Starting Pitchers:

1. Ryan Demster
2. Scott Diamond
3. Erik Bedard
4. Jeff Francis

Relievers:

Jesse Crain
Scott Richmond
Chris Leroux
Jim Henderson
Shawn Hill
Phillipe Aumont
John Axeford

Paxton and Taillon with starters jobs, Oscar Tavares in right field.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
DJ Davis does not project to be a 5 tool player. The arm is not there. As a result, his defensive value is probably not going to be as high as Gose's. He's got a cannon.

The hit and power tools could be better with Davis though.

Agreed with the arm, but he has a potential plus bat with sneaky power. His speed will also help generate a lot of doubles and triples throughout his pro career.

In other news:
The Tigers have agreed to sign free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez to a five-year, $80MM contract, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter). Agent Gene Mato represents Sanchez, who agrees to terms with Detroit one day after coming close to a deal with the Cubs.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Agreed with the arm, but he has a potential plus bat with sneaky power. His speed will also help generate a lot of doubles and triples throughout his pro career.

In other news:

So if Sanchez is getting a 5 year / 80 million, what's Johnson getting? :(

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
These two are officially free agents. With Hech gone, we could use a quality prospect at SS/2B, I wonder if AA would be willing to take a run at him.

Two Cuban prospects, outfielder Dariel Alvarez and shortstop Aledmis Diaz, have established residency in Mexico and are now officially MLB free agents, reports Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald. The young pair defected at different times last summer but both settled in Mexico.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/12/14/3765956/dario-alvarez-aledmis-diaz-free-agent-official-mlb

DatsyukianDeke*

In other news:

No Surprise. Mr Ilitch always gets what he wants if he wants it. Great owner..

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I am okay with Happ at 5. Dumping Lind and bringing Swish man would be epic.

Yea so I am, but if we get another injury bug we wouldnt be looking so good. Getting a solid arm for the back end like Niese. Jackson, etc.. and having Happ coming out of the BP and being our number #6 would be a much safer route to take then spending the money on another bat.

Someone said it earlier, but getting one of those guys ensures we have a solid top four (assuming Romero can figure it out) if JJ decides to leave next summer. If he decides to stya, then we would have a solid starting five and when a guy like Hutch is ready, one of the starting 5 can be traded for assets to go back into the system.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
detroit looks scary bringing back anibal. Gotta remember that v-mart is back this year, thats another all-star bat.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
16 million a year for sanchez is a lot of cash for a #3 pitcher, but thats the price you gotta pay in free agency i guess

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

C- George Kottaras
1st- Joey Votto
2nd- Pete Orr
SS- Russell Martin
3rd- Brett Lawrie
DH- Justin Morneau
LF- Jason Bay
CF- Michael Saunders
RF- Taylor Green

Starting Pitchers:

1. Ryan Demster
2. Scott Diamond
3. Erik Bedard
4. Jeff Francis

Relievers:

Jesse Crain
Scott Richmond
Chris Leroux
Jim Henderson
Shawn Hill
Phillipe Aumont
John Axeford

could surprise, the fact they're an under dog team could help them. Would need everyone to play there best, and could maybe loose in the semi finals as a best case scenario?? I would be happy making it to the final 8 though. Its to bad about Bay and Morneau, but at least Morneau has somewhat of a decent chance to bounce back.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Yea so I am, but if we get another injury bug we wouldnt be looking so good. Getting a solid arm for the back end like Niese. Jackson, etc.. and having Happ coming out of the BP and being our number #6 would be a much safer route to take then spending the money on another bat.

Someone said it earlier, but getting one of those guys ensures we have a solid top four (assuming Romero can figure it out) if JJ decides to leave next summer. If he decides to stya, then we would have a solid starting five and when a guy like Hutch is ready, one of the starting 5 can be traded for assets to go back into the system.

Thing is, there is already a budget for that #5-6 guy. I am saying they up the stakes. Get rid of Lind, who is a huge question mark with a bad back and make a effin statement, bring in Swisher for 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad