Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
warning; obscure stat below.

checking our PK numbers i find this interesting stat for individuals. based on number of PK goals allowed per 60 minutes of PK time played (with avg PK time per game played shown) you would get this;

for our d-men;
Irwin 10.1 (0:56)
Emelin 9.5 (2:40)
Subban 8.0 (3:19)
Josi 4.2 (3:32)
Ekholm 4.2 (3:39)

for our forwards;
Salomaki 9.4 (0:36)
Sissons 8.0 (2:35)
Arvidsson 7.7 (2:36)
Watson 6.4 (2:37)
Johansen 6.1 (1:07)
Jarnkrok 5.6 (2:45)
Bonino 4.6 (1:37)
Forsberg 0.0 (0:44)

Forsberg, Salomaki and Irwin each average less than a minute of PK time per game, so obviously their numbers are more easily skewed.

But i always find it interesting to sort of check trends here. Sometimes shows you a better picture of who's been better/worse on the PK than one might think, since normal +/- type stats don't reflect the numbers.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
will be a really tough game tonight. they probably didn't get to Dallas till 2 am or later. saros in net too. yikes!

Yep- I am definitely worried about this one. We are way overdue for a true "stinker" game. We haven't had one since way back on Nov 1 at San Jose.

We have 3 losses since then (12-2-1)- in two of them we had a third period lead, and the other one was a shootout loss.

And Dallas is hot right now and that is a building I never look forward to us playing in. We have had some horrible games there recently. We are 1-5 in the last 6 there with the only win being the 7-3 win last year on the next to last game of the season. A game that was pretty meaningless as we were already resting players and they were playing out the string.

So yeah, going to be a tough one. If you guaranteed me a point right now I would probably take it.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
and on the other side of special teams here are the goals per 60 minutes on the PP a guy has been on ice for (avg PP time per game after)

Turris 15.5 (2:15)
Jarnkrok 14.1 (in 0:18 seconds per game lol)
Arvy 13.1 (2:32)
Fiala 11.6 (2:34)
Sisson 11.2 (2:01)
Smith 10.6 (2:31)
Subban 10.3 (3:19)
Forsberg 10.1 (3:30)
Ekholm 8.9 (2:29)
Johansen 8.9 (3:37)
Josi 8.6 (3:29)
Hartnell 6.5 (3:28)
Bonino 4.1 (0:54)

I found this surprising, in that our 2nd PP unit has actually averaged more PP goals per minute played than our 1st unit.

Last edited:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
#1: Games have flows and runs. Taking a 4-0 early in the 2nd is awesome but there's more than half a game to go. Them scoring 3 in a row is just a likely as us scoring 4 in a row. Doesn't matter at what point in the game it happens. Then we score the 5th goal for a 5-3 win. We didn't blow a lead. We competed throughout the game, we scored 4 times, the scored 3 times, and then we scored again. Enjoy the ride. It beats the heck out of Trotz's take a lead and trap all night long.
#2: We're winning. Keep playing Aberg. There's only upside. it's all about confidence. Fiala now has it back so he's scoring. Aberg needs his swagger and he'll find it by playing, not sitting or playing for another team.
#3: We are walking on sacred ground with this team, and especially at home. The great Kariya team had a 32-8-1 home record (.793). We're currently at 11-2-1 (.821). Smaller sample size so we'll see but realize what's happening here. We're winning at a record pace and we're still not playing to our potential, which is a great sign. These "ugly" wins happen because we're playing good teams who are also trying to win and therefore we have to overcome some level of adversity. Good news is, we're doing it. We're finding ways to win, which is how it works. You don't win Cups anymore by steamrolling teams. You win by building confidence that no matter what the situation, we're gonna figure out how to win.

Reactions: triggrman

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just looking over some numbers something that jumps out is that we are doing a great job scoring first, which is always key in today’s NHL.

During our current 12-2-1 streak, we have scored the first goal of the game in 12 of the 15 games. Before that, we only scored first 4 times in the first 12 games, when we were 5-5-2.

But even when we don’t score first, we still managed to go 2-0-1 in those games.

Bottom line, it has been a great 15 game run…………

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If you guys want to read something that will make you smile, head over to the main board and read the "who is the stanley cup favorite" thread.....:)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
If not for the terrible start to this season, this team would easily be ahead. They had to shake off that cup hangover, but yes this team so far looks better than any other year. Other teams have won at pretty good paces, but I've never been as confident in a group to go out and win any game on any night.

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Our lineup from December 4, 2014:

Forsberg - Ribeiro - Neal
Wilson - Jarnkrok - Smith
Cullen - Fisher - Jokinen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck

Josi - Weber
Volchenkov - Jones
Ekholm - Ellis

Rinne
Hutton

Amazing how much has changed. Only 3 forwards from that group still with the team.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If not does the terrible start to this season, this team would easily be ahead. They had to shake off that cup hangover, but yes this team so far looks better than any other year. Other teams have won at pretty good paces, but I've never been as confident in a group to go out and win any game on any night.

Since losing the first two games this year, we are 18-5-3. And since being 5-5-2 on Nov 1, we are 13-2-1. That is dang strong stuff right there......

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Our lineup from December 4, 2014:

Forsberg - Ribeiro - Neal
Wilson - Jarnkrok - Smith
Cullen - Fisher - Jokinen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck

Josi - Weber
Volchenkov - Jones
Ekholm - Ellis

Rinne
Hutton

Amazing how much has changed. Only 3 forwards from that group still with the team.

Holy crap- when you see it on paper, wow- this team is so much better its not even funny.......

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more note- of all the good things we have done this year, maybe the most impressive:

We are 8-1-1 vs the Central division this year

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not gonna complain cause everything is clicking right now but I hope we don't peak too often this season.. I kinda want to go to the playoffs as an underdog and I think so does the team.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
what an unpredictable game this thing called hockey is. you don't get a single point from your 3 leading scorers nor a single goal from your 8 leading goal scorers (headed into the game)... and yet you put up a 5 spot... on the road, against a team as hot as you are.

stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce