Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
A few thoughts:

Well, I will never complain too much about a regulation win, so tonight was a good night. HOWEVER, incredibly frustrating to once again almost blow a huge lead. I don't think there is any doubt that at this point it has become something that is in our heads. For the last half of that game our D was a hot mess- we made the 25th ranked offense in the league look like the 80's Oilers for a stretch there.

Thank goodness for the Forsberg goal- really received some of the pressure.

And our play in empty net situations always drives me insane. Three full minutes of empty net play and we don't even come close to scoring a goal to end the drama. I get that we accomplished the main goal and that is to prevent a goal, but it is pretty dang hard to NOT score an empty netter in 3 minutes. And on the flip side it almost always feels like we give up an empty net goal within seconds when we pull the goalie. I would love to see some statistics on the amount of time we have played 5 on 6 and the number of empty net goals we have scored compared to the rest of the league.

Craig Smith- what else can you say- he is now on pace for 33 goals.

Kyle Turris- what a steal of a trade. Said this previously but I will say it again- I knew he was good but he is even better than advertised and he fits this team like a glove. And we have him locked up for 6 years- incredible..

Despite the drama, two points is two points. We passed STL tonight and are now 1 point behind Winnipeg (!) for first place in the West. And we have the third best record in the entire league, just one point out of first overall. Pretty strong stuff!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
glad everyone has seen the light. I'll take a 4th round pick for him. since arvy was a 4th rounder. great thinking huh.
He's not even worth a bag of pucks at this point is the sad thing. McLeod probably has more value than Aberg.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
He's not even worth a bag of pucks at this point is the sad thing. McLeod probably has more value than Aberg.
aberg was really good in AHL. some GM may think he has potential still untapped. you're right that his value has plummeted. ill take whatever we can get.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
aberg was really good in AHL. some GM may think he has potential still untapped. you're right that his value has plummeted. ill take whatever we can get.

To me this is silly. If he has no trade value then just keep him. We have seen how important depth is, even if he can't contribute enough to be in the roster when everyone is healthy

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
well... we won. even though this team could well be the death of me.

Serious question..Which is harder to deal with, scoring 4 goals and almost blowing it, or the old way when if we scored first we'd try to win the game 1-0?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
To me this is silly. If he has no trade value then just keep him. We have seen how important depth is, even if he can't contribute enough to be in the roster when everyone is healthy
yeah this is a good point if we go on a deep run.

forsberg/johansen/arvy
fiala/turris/smith
hartnell/bonino/jarnkrok
salomaki/sissons/watson

extras: gaudreau, aberg, mcleod

we traded kamenev and don't have much NHL ready depth in Milwaukee unless I'm mistaken.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Serious question..Which is harder to deal with, scoring 4 goals and almost blowing it, or the old way when if we scored first we'd try to win the game 1-0?

If they start blowing leads, there's frustration, but knowledge that they have the potential to score again (like last night).

Trying to squeeze out games 1-0 is harder to watch for me. During those times, you almost knew that allowing two goals was a sure loss and you had to play the entire game practically mistake-free to win. Having to play mistake-free also discourages playing younger players as they are prone to mistakes as they go through the growth process.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The game just reminded me of years past where we got down like that, clawed back in it, only to have the goal by Forsberg happen to us.

It's a bit strange to be on the other side of it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Injuries always happen, we don't have much NHL depth and Aberg doesn't really have trade value. Easy decision to keep him.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
At the beginning of last season we all declared Watson a bust and said he was done as a possibility in the NHL.

Many times in the past few years it looked like Craig Smith's value was constantly going down.

Players struggle at times for whatever reason, especially in their second NHL season. But obviously Lavy and Poile see that Aberg still has potential. I just don't think that in the middle of a season where the focus is on getting back to the Final is when the staff is going to put a lot of time and effort into fixing a player like Aberg. So there might not be a lot of hope for big improvements anytime soon.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
hockey is a strange game. we didn't really generate much 5 on 5 in the offensive zone, and yet we score 5 goals.

..amazing how many odd man rushes we created last night against their defense.
..just off the top of my head, we had the ekholm to smith breakaway, the fiala-smith fiala goal, the fiala to josi stop, the forsberg to sissons stop, the forsberg breakaway. 3 of our goals.
..smith and fiala have looked awesome these past 10 games. part turris, part confidence.
..the last 30 minutes it looked like a chinese firedrill in our defensive zone.
..Boston very good up front.
..our inability to clear the puck once the other team goes all in offensively kills us.

..trying to quantify some of our late troubles closing out a game.
1)we rely on our d-men a lot to jump into the play and help create our offense. when we have to switch to protect the lead mode they have to stay back and we have trouble generating o zone time
2)defensively the lack of size of several of our forwards means that our best offensive forwards cann't clear the puck when opposing dmen pinch down the boards constantly
3)the best defensive fowards we have with size (watson,sissons) are really our weakest offensive players. yet we are forced to give them more and more ice time in crunch time to fight along the boards to try to clear the puck. so the offense tends to die late.
4)we take entirely too many penalties late in most games trying to play defense.
5)our empty net troubles relate to those same forwards (watson, sissons, bonino) getting much of our late time.

..fiala is gaining confidence nightly. what a shot on that goal.
..smith. he just has the knack to create scoring chances. if he shoots 17% he will score 30 something. so streaky though.
..bonino has real offensive instincts around the net. not really seeing any in open ice or playmaking so far. he looks great in close though.
..our PP home streak came to an end quietly.
..on the PK goal allowed watson chased a man across from his left point position to the right point. sissons simply didn't get tot he right spot in the switch.
..rinne with a good 3 goal allowed game honestly facing 40 shots. hated the chara bouncing puck goal. rinne simply didn't get in front of it, like a shortstop making an error.
..another disappointing game from aberg even lined with forsberg.
..how did gaudreau score those 3 playoff goals in 8 games again?
..really like turris, but his scoring is benefiting from fiala and smith getting so hot as much as they are benefitting from him.
..really cussed irwin when we were leading 4-1 and he got caught carrying the puck in deep with us having 4 men down low.
..great little tap play from ekholm to spring smith on that breakin. that was a huge goal.
..josi with a perfect pass to spring forsberg. had to really thread the needle.
..unusal for us to pot 5 goals and not have more points from our d-men.
..amazing how quickly we caught STL after trailing them by 7 points and them with a game in hand two weeks ago.

It wasn't everything we wanted it to be as far as how it looked. But it was another big, important win.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
We saw what the detriment of a group of guys playing for each other was last night. We got awfully cute trying to get Smith his hatty. Subban passed up a great chance 5 feet from the net with a bad cross to Smith. Fiala went ahead and finished only because he ran out of space for a bad pass. Doing that, I thought we stopped playing our game until Laviolette called the timeout. I think we had 4 goals on 15-16 shots and then went a good 15 minutes of gametime with 2.

I love the unselfishness. And I hate it, lol.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Agree, Token. I was sitting with PredFan98 and said as much. I've seen it before--and it has come back to bite us more times than once! Just play the game and don't worry about hat tricks. In the end I think we'll all take a W over a hat trick.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
really tough game tonight against a charging Dallas team. they've won 5 in a row, are only 4 points behind us and are 10-2 on their home ice including their last 5 in a row. and here we are on a back to back with them rested and we will no doubt start Saros.

we've both scored first in 16 games out of 27 (tied for 4th most in the league). Dallas being 13-3 when they do and us being 12-2-2. So one would think the team that scores first has a huge advantage in this one.

wish i was more confident heading into this one.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I'd play Rinne tonight, with a short leash if he's showing fatigue, since there's not a game until Friday then no games until next Wednesday. I'd hate to miss an opportunity to take points in a division game. Conventional wisdom says otherwise, but that's the way I'd play it.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Rinne faced 40 shots last night I am not sure it would be a good idea to trot him out there. Maybe Saros surprises us and plays a good game.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
will be a really tough game tonight. they probably didn't get to Dallas till 2 am or later. saros in net too. yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad