Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I have no clue why he didn't go to the backhand.

Of all the things you can say about him, you can't truthfully say he has bad hockey IQ. I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

If he scores, maybe they win. They couldn't hold the lead they actually had, but obviously things wouldn't have played out exactly the same way. At the very least he could have said he scored a game seven goal.
We know what Doug Gilmour would have done with that. It's the first and last time I'll use Marner and Gilmour in the same thought. He's putrid ... You want culture change, you start there.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This team is the furthest thing possible from clutch.

Think about it, five straight game 7 losses in the Matthews era.

In three of them, we were leading the series before it got to game 7.

In the other two, we were leading game 7 in the third period.

We lost all 5 of them.

We had 4 goals in the 2018 game. In the four since.... 4 goals in total.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

This still annoys me.

Does Woll stop this? I think for sure. So of course he had to get himself injured after 2 games. I would have tried Martin Jones over Samsonov - he had better numbers this year.

It's an awful goal.. looks like a Sunday morning over 65 scramble.. How Kampf can't get in the lane or Samsonov can't stand up and make a save.. not sure.. just can't explain it.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
The exit interviews really need to be a 1 hour presentation breaking down what absolutely historic losers they are. None of these guys can be Captain, no player entering the league will have any real respect for guys like Marner and Matthews who have been so thoroughly and repeatedly humiliated.

At some point you just start losing respect for them as people, because they have the skills they're just losers🤣. Every year they have to get in line and congratulate the men that dominated them no matter how heavily they were favored.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's an awful goal.. looks like a Sunday morning over 65 scramble.. How Kampf can't get in the lane or Samsonov can't stand up and make a save.. not sure.. just can't explain it.

And then people say you can't blame Samsonov for allowing a muffin where the 3 goal scorer just chipped the puck to the net with no windup and it hit Samsonov's arm and went in... the next shot after the Leafs score to give the Bruins all the momentum.

Get this ECHL goalie out of here.

Reactions: ruaware41

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Leafs were the better team and would have given Florida a better fight but alas, we get this garbage. Boston lucky if they sniff bobs jock after 4 when they are elominated because they suck ass.
Boston will get spanked by Florida. Other than Swayman they didn't play that well at all.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
This team is the furthest thing possible from clutch.

Think about it, five straight game 7 losses in the Matthews era.

In three of them, we were leading the series before it got to game 7.

In the other two, we were leading game 7 in the third period.

We lost all 5 of them.

We had 4 goals in the 2018 game. In the four since.... 4 goals in total.
5 f***ing straight. 5.
Five. This is stupid.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
this is true but at the same time nylander started the whole everyone gets overpaid trend and was the first one to punk dubas setting and starting a new nhl trend where teams hold no leverage over rfas anymore. yes in hindsight his contract wasn’t bad but at the time based on his comparables who out performed him like pasternak it was around a mil too much. this set the precedent for the rest of them that dubas is a bitch and they can get their way. michael nylander was the original paul marner
It didn’t matter how much Dubas paid them. They couldn’t perform in the playoffs.
Like if AM plays like Mack in the playoffs, we could had easily won more than one round by now.
If MM plays like he does in the regular season, we could easily won more than one round by now.
JT was supposed to be the player who pushed us over but like the other two, he didn’t have that playoff gear.
Willie seemed to be only one who at the very least maintain his level in the playoffs.
You can’t have someone who only played 4 of the 7 games in the series leading the team in goals at THREE while also had as many goals as the top three forwards in term of salary and expect the team to win a series.
We can crap on Sammy all we want but how can any teams win a playoffs series if they can only score 2 goals per game?

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
The exit interviews really need to be a 1 hour presentation breaking down what absolutely historic losers they are. None of these guys can be Captain, no player entering the league will have any real respect for guys like Marner and Matthews who have been so thoroughly and repeatedly humiliated.

At some point you just start losing respect for them as people, because they have the skills they're just losers🤣. Every year they have to get in line and congratulate the men that dominated them no matter how heavily they were favored.
this is hyperbolic. pros have a level of relatability that garners each other’s respect on some level. fans take it too far. no kid entering the league will respect m/m less because they suck in a round of 16 between the best 0.001% of hockey players in the world. truth is most of these dudes are probably okay people struggling to pursue and stick to their goals like the rest of most of us with the difference being millions watch their success/failure with it every week.

marner rielly liljegren tavares and samsonov need to go though. team looks decent with edmundson mccabe benoit woll nylander matthews knies domi bertuzzi and fill the rest with good fits

Reactions: danktopshelf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

This still annoys me.

Does Woll stop this? I think for sure. So of course he had to get himself injured after 2 games. I would have tried Martin Jones over Samsonov - he had better numbers this year.

Not saying it wasn’t a soft goal but Sammy wasn’t the only problem in this game or the series. We just needed to score but we couldn’t.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Doesn't even move the needle for me anymore

8p1fxd.jpg

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not saying it wasn’t a soft goal but Sammy wasn’t the only problem in this game or the series. We just needed to score but we couldn’t.

You switch Samsonov and Woll and the Leafs win in 5.

I don't think they lose Game 3 with Woll in net. That Frederick goal when Boston had nothing was a backbreaker. Just like this Lindholm goal when the Bruins had nothing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
5 f***ing straight. 5.
Five. This is stupid.
And six if you include game 5 vs Columbus.

It's a cherry picked data set, but if you look at the teams goal differential after taking the lead in game 7 in 2018, game 6 in 2022, game 7 in 2024, after winning their 2nd game in 2020, and after winning their 3rd game in 2019 & 2021, they've scored 10 goals and allowed 32.

That's in approximately 7 full games worth of hockey.

1.42 GPG. 4.56 GAA.

Neither number is acceptable. I don't know which is worse.

Disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveCanadian

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

This still annoys me.

It's a terrible goal, but Sammy played well, can't really blame him.

Once again though, scoring is our issue, and we will likely double down on low skill/IQ players to solve that so we can lose 1-0 every game next year instead of 2-1

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's a terrible goal, but Sammy played well, can't really blame him.

Once again though, scoring is our issue, and we will likely double down on low skill/IQ players to solve that so we can lose 1-0 every game next year instead of 2-1

You win 1-0 and no one is talking about our lack of scoring. Give us average goaltending and we win this series.

Most playoff teams win 2-1 and 1-0 games. The Bruins just won 2-1.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You switch Samsonov and Woll and the Leafs win in 5.

I don't think they lose Game 3 with Woll in net. That Frederick goal when Boston had nothing was a backbreaker. Just like this Lindholm goal when the Bruins had nothing.
I agree. But the top guys still needed to score.
Swayman was good but he wasnt in god mode.

To me Game 3 was a game that could had gone either way.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You win 1-0 and no one is talking about our lack of scoring.

Give us average goaltending and we win this series.

Woll played above average, Sammy played below, not sure we win still.

I agree. But the top guys still needed to score.
Swayman was good but he wasnt in god mode.

To me Game 3 was a game that could had gone either way.

Top guys? Everyone... our D was atrocious once they left their own end.

It is not just the top guys... I'm assuming we had the least points by D.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
We should have been chasing a President/GM asset combo a la Doug Armstrong / George McPhee a long time ago.

We've been absolutely short-changed here in Toronto with sub-standard quality of management.

Lou was perhaps the best asset we had who actually saw a good culture shift from losing to winning and we handed it over to a wannabe-MBA type with no experience in hockey.
then why did Lou sign perenial loser Patrick Marleau to be a mentor to the young leafs. Lou, Dubas, Hunter etc have all sucked for the leafs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Woll played about average, Sammy played below, not sure we win still.

Swayman vs Samsonov 4-0 sweep by Swayman
Woll vs Samsonov 2-0

Samsonov had one win... against Ullmark.

Look at the tale of the 2 goaltenders playing behind the same team:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You win 1-0 and no one is talking about our lack of scoring. Give us average goaltending and we win this series.

Most playoff teams win 2-1 and 1-0 games. The Bruins just won 2-1.
Yes and no. Some teams do win 2-1 and 1-0 mainly due to both teams lacking fire power up front. We got a 69 goals scorer, two 100pts winger and another 30 goals scorer for a combined of 6 goals in a 7 games series where one of the 100pt winger got 3 goals while playing only 4 games in the series.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Swayman vs Samsonov 4-0 sweep by Swayman
Woll vs Samsonov 2-0

Samsonov had one win... against Ullmark.

Look at the tale of the 2 goaltenders playing behind the same team:

You said average goaltending and we win... Woll was well above average

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Every franchise has that point where before the window closes you make a big player for trade to shake things up. Leafs and Jays in the early 90s, raptors and Kawhi.

But NMC make that impossible.

We're going to have to run it back one more time before any real change is made when the JT and MM deals expire.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes and no. Some teams do win 2-1 and 1-0 mainly due to both teams lacking fire power up front. We got a 69 goals scorer, two 100pts winger and another 30 goals scorer for a combined of 6 goals in a 7 games series where one of the 100pt winger got 3 goals while playing only 4 games in the series.

We had a 69 goalscorer who got injured in the series. He still led our team in points. We had another 98 point player who missed the first 3 games.

Then, here are our 2 goalies:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad