Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Totally agree on Bitetto, that injury in last year's opener really hurt his development. We've just not been in a spot where we can afford to play him too often once he came back from that, and he can't go to Milwaukee.
They give Irwin enough icetime and his mistakes are as bad if not worse than Bitetto. If Tater is still effing up in the Dzone after a couple games then permascratch him but at least give the team a shot at having a better #6 than Irwin before the playoffs start.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
They give Irwin enough icetime and his mistakes are as bad if not worse than Bitetto. If Tater is still effing up in the Dzone after a couple games then permascratch him but at least give the team a shot at having a better #6 than Irwin before the playoffs start.

Irwin had that handful of decent games with Josi last season and Lavy seems to only recall those 3-4 games and not the 112 games in which he has been horrible. I'm still made that Poile ever signed him in the first place, and now we've got him for another two seasons...

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Irwin had that handful of decent games with Josi last season and Lavy seems to only recall those 3-4 games and not the 112 games in which he has been horrible. I'm still made that Poile ever signed him in the first place, and now we've got him for another two seasons...
Agreed. I'd love to know what exactly the coaches see in him. There has to be something, right?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
anyone else bothered by the johney come lately radio talk shows that are acting like we have the division, conference and league locked up and are all but assured of making a deep run in the playoffs?
everytime i turn it on i hear the same ignorant type of bavado from people that really know squat about hockey.

really bothers me.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
we are on a near record point pace for the last 19 years since we have been in the league. we are on a 119.5 (120) point pace currently with 12 to go. previous full years Presidents Trophy winners

tenor.gif

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Man, our remaining schedule after tonight is BRUTAL- we really need to take care of business tonight in Buffalo.

After tonight, here is our remaining schedule:

TORONTO
at Minnesota
at Winnipeg
MINNESOTA
SAN JOSE
BUFFALO
at Tampa Bay
at Florida
at Washington
COLUMBUS

That is about as tough a 10 games as a team can have- other than the home game vs. Buffalo, every game will be very tough. Has to be one of the toughest remaining schedules.

We need to wrap the division up sooner rather than later……….

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
Our next milestone is home ice for the first round, which means finishing ahead of Minnesota. That's 6 points either for us or from them. Well, technically Colorado could still pass us - 3 points vs them.

Milestone #2 is the division win. Our magic number against Winnipeg is 13.

Milestone #3 is the conference win. Our magic number against Vegas is 14. (Anaheim 1, San Jose 6)

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
In the last 9 games, we have ONE power play goal.

Power play during those games is clicking along at a red hot 3.7% rate (1 for 27).

And in the last 6 games we are 0 for 19.

But despite all of that we are 9-0 in those 9 games which is absolutely mind-boggling.

Bad news is the power play stinks right now. The good news is that means our 5 on 5 play has been fantastic- we are still winning and are still scoring- averaging 3.33 goals per game during that stretch, even without any power play success.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
in our last 11 games we have more shorthanded goals (4) than PP goals (3).

That's one of those stats that makes you go "that can't possibly be accurate" but...

The good news is, it seems like the PP has been getting some pretty decent chances overall. They just can't seem to buy a goal. Although that's me going by gut feeling; I haven't sat down and pulled together any numbers on it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
In the last 9 games, we have ONE power play goal.

Power play during those games is clicking along at a red hot 3.7% rate (1 for 27).

And in the last 6 games we are 0 for 19.

But despite all of that we are 9-0 in those 9 games which is absolutely mind-boggling.

Bad news is the power play stinks right now. The good news is that means our 5 on 5 play has been fantastic- we are still winning and are still scoring- averaging 3.33 goals per game during that stretch, even without any power play success.

In the same span, we're shooting about 9 percent, which is a little high (our freakish Sv%is already throwing us near the top of the league in team PDO).

At any rate, I expect that the PP will start to score more, but we'll also probably regress a bit in terms of even strength scoring.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
That's one of those stats that makes you go "that can't possibly be accurate" but...

The good news is, it seems like the PP has been getting some pretty decent chances overall. They just can't seem to buy a goal. Although that's me going by gut feeling; I haven't sat down and pulled together any numbers on it.

Feels that way to me, too. For that reason and the fact that we keep winning, I am not really worried about the PP- it will come around. If anything, the lack of PP success makes our hot streak all the more impressive.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Would it be too much ask for a laugher tonight?? Is that greedy?

We have been absolutely incredible on the road- best team in the league- won 8 in a row and 11-0-3 in last 14.

But it is pretty interesting that almost every one of those 14 games have been nail biters.

Of those 14, 11 of them were one goal games. And 13 of the 14 were 1 goal games/tied in the final 5 minutes. Only the 3-0 win at New Jersey on Jan 25 was not (and even that one was a two goal game at the 5:00 mark).

In 10 of the 11 wins we either won in OT or had to sweat out an empty net situation. Even bad teams have blowout wins occasionally and you would think we would have one on the road every now and then.

But we really have not had a true road blowout since December, when we had 3 straight blowout wins over Dallas (5-2), Vancouver (7-1) and Edmonton (4-0). That is almost hard to believe.

Again, not trying to be greedy and certainly not complaining- but would love to have just one road game where we didn’t have to sweat at the end….

Having said all of that, if it winds up being another one goal road win I will gladly take it.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Would it be too much ask for a laugher tonight?? Is that greedy?

We have been absolutely incredible on the road- best team in the league- won 8 in a row and 11-0-3 in last 14.

But it is pretty interesting that almost every one of those 14 games have been nail biters.

Of those 14, 11 of them were one goal games. And 13 of the 14 were 1 goal games/tied in the final 5 minutes. Only the 3-0 win at New Jersey on Jan 25 was not (and even that one was a two goal game at the 5:00 mark).

In 10 of the 11 wins we either won in OT or had to sweat out an empty net situation. Even bad teams have blowout wins occasionally and you would think we would have one on the road every now and then.

But we really have not had a true road blowout since December, when we had 3 straight blowout wins over Dallas (5-2), Vancouver (7-1) and Edmonton (4-0). That is almost hard to believe.

Again, not trying to be greedy and certainly not complaining- but would love to have just one road game where we didn’t have to sweat at the end….

Having said all of that, if it winds up being another one goal road win I will gladly take it.
Yeah, gotta be happy with what you get because in past years we lost half of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad