Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
One team will have to move to the central and Arizona is probably the easiest one to move even though the time would be awful for them when we are on daylight savings time.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
One team will have to move to the central and Arizona is probably the easiest one to move even though the time would be awful for them when we are on daylight savings time.

That's what I thought originally, but then you split them from Vegas, and for nearly half the season you would have three different time zones in the central.

Trading Colorado for Edmonton and Calgary keeps the central and Pacific each to two time zones. This is definitely something the NHL cares about as it's the primary reason that they moved both Detroit and Columbus to the East when Atlanta moved.

Also, I haven't done all of the comprisons, but at least Chicago, St. Paul and Winnipeg are closer to Edmonton than they are to Glendale. Nashville is a little closer to Glendale and I'm sure St. Louis and Dallas are even closer. So it's split 50/50 on travel, so mileage shouldn't be a factor.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Fenton has to know that he's likely to succeed Poile.

Then we could be just as "good" as Milwaukee *eyeroll*

I think that like Mike Futa in LA, he's a) not that interested in *this* job and b)doesn't want to mess with this during a playoff run. The fact that he's interviewed for but didn't get other jobs, and the fact that Poile recently said he has no plans to retire anytime soon, rules out the "sticking around for this job" idea.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

I think that like Mike Futa in LA, he's a) not that interested in *this* job and b)doesn't want to mess with this during a playoff run. The fact that he's interviewed for but didn't get other jobs, and the fact that Poile recently said he has no plans to retire anytime soon, rules out the "sticking around for this job" idea.

I did not know that Fenton GMs for Milwaukee.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
GM jobs turn over a lot less frequently than coaching jobs. Carolina is a gong show with their new hands on owner. I'm guessing Fenton is both reasonably happy here and knows he will be a candidate for another, probably better GM spot later, especially if the Preds continue to do well, even if Poile doesn't retire soon.

Not sure how much you can hold Fenton responsible for Milwaukee. I would think teams like us with a lot of young talent that has made the big club would have weaker farm teams, and then add in that your top line C and 1D both got traded for the benefit of the big club... it' just the nature of the AHL I would think...

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Well, I think we can all agree on that we haven't played our best hockey this season yet, we haven't been generating chances a lot lately but we have capitalized on a high percentage. In my opinion, our goaltending that has been just outstanding this year has masked a lot of our problems and we've been really opportunistic lately. We still give up a lot of chances, although not that many shots anymore when Ellis returned. If Rinne were to falter come playoff time, I don't think we'd have the guns to out-do the mistakes. I mean how many times this year we have said that "Rinne was amazing in that game" or "Saros really stood on his head", I mean they have been our best players the entire year. Is that sustainable?

You can see it lately in our game when we have started to rest players (good strategy, imo) that we're not playing as hard as before. We're trying to avoid injuries I think we can see it pretty clearly, not a bad strategy either. We're not going to those dirty areas or blocking shots as much as before.

Don't get me wrong, we have an amazing team, we have insane depth and obviously a great defense group, although Irber has been horrible as of late. In the last year's run Rinne played really well but I didn't think he had to stood on his head. We played great defensively the entire run. This year, we have relied on Rinne too much and that's okay as long as he makes those saves. His numbers might be just too unsustainable to not to worry. Obviously, if Rinne keeps up this pace, we could be looking at a long run this year as well.

This post might have had a bit too negative tone in it, but let me hear what you think. This is the way I see the situation as of now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While I agree with you to some extent, no team is going very far in the playoffs if their goalie isn't playing that well. It's one reason I'm interested to see what Pittsburgh does this year, because in both Cup runs it took both goalies to get them through it and they won't have that caliber of guy coming off the bench this year. That said, I don't think we have started playing our playoff game yet. We all know last year we tightened things up much more once the playoffs started, and I suspect you will see Lavi do the same thing this year.

Frankly I don't think Rinne was all that impressive until the last couple of games in the Anaheim series, really felt like the team carried him more than he did them. So if he continues to play well and we play the kind of game we are capable of it could be a ton of fun to watch.

As far as playing not to get hurt, yeah I agree and frankly I can't blame them. I think all of those guys believe that the injuries cost them the Cup, and they want to be as healthy as possible going into the playoffs.

Reactions: myFialabot

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
You know, it's now to the point where it all doesn't really feel real. we play good we win easily, we don't play so good we win a close game. I'm running out of logic and out of things to say honestly.

At times now, I have periods where I think it might be good for us to lose a couple games and have a few bad bounces go against us, just so that we (both the team themselves and us as fans) can refocus our intensity and remember just how tough it really is and is going to be to win games.

Then I mentally slap myself and say hey that's crazy talk you idiot.

Sure it could all go bad, it's hockey, it's played on ice, decided by an inch difference shots going 90 miles an hour, thousands of split second decisions made under pressure, and a puck that has edges and can bounce totally unpredictably. So, just sat back and enjoy the ride and quit worrying about when it will end. These things only come along rarely. Most of us realize we aren't as good as our record, but this is still a mighty good hockey team. Not the most talented team in the league, but we are the deepest and most balanced team in the league, backed by the best goal tending team in the league.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Sitting back and having already made the playoffs........I don't know what to do or feel
New part of the hockey rollercoaster....

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
While I agree with you to some extent, no team is going very far in the playoffs if their goalie isn't playing that well. It's one reason I'm interested to see what Pittsburgh does this year, because in both Cup runs it took both goalies to get them through it and they won't have that caliber of guy coming off the bench this year. That said, I don't think we have started playing our playoff game yet. We all know last year we tightened things up much more once the playoffs started, and I suspect you will see Lavi do the same thing this year.

Frankly I don't think Rinne was all that impressive until the last couple of games in the Anaheim series, really felt like the team carried him more than he did them. So if he continues to play well and we play the kind of game we are capable of it could be a ton of fun to watch.

As far as playing not to get hurt, yeah I agree and frankly I can't blame them. I think all of those guys believe that the injuries cost them the Cup, and they want to be as healthy as possible going into the playoffs.

This team is very poised but still I think we rely on our goaltending more than some of the other contenders such as Winnipeg. Hopefully, you're right about tightening up in the playoffs, I can't see Rinne playing this well for 2 months straight if we ever get there.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This team is very poised but still I think we rely on our goaltending more than some of the other contenders such as Winnipeg. Hopefully, you're right about tightening up in the playoffs, I can't see Rinne playing this well for 2 months straight if we ever get there.

Why? He' played well for 5 months already. And unlike last year he shouldn't have to steal every game, just keep us in it...

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

what other GM jobs has Fenton interviewed for?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The biggest difference in points for the Preds right now is their away record. If you go down the standings MOST of the playoff teams have a comparable Home record but Tampa is the only team that is even close while on the road.

It's all about match ups and the difference between having one amazing line that you can get into favorable positions as home and having a deep team that can get 2 goals from the 3rd/4th line any given night while on the road. That is why the Preds are where they are right now, once Poile traded for Turris and they got Ellis back there isn't a big enough drop off for teams to exploit on the road.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The biggest difference in points for the Preds right now is their away record. If you go down the standings MOST of the playoff teams have a comparable Home record but Tampa is the only team that is even close while on the road.

It's all about match ups and the difference between having one amazing line that you can get into favorable positions as home and having a deep team that can get 2 goals from the 3rd/4th line any given night while on the road. That is why the Preds are where they are right now, once Poile traded for Turris and they got Ellis back there isn't a big enough drop off for teams to exploit on the road.

As long we are aren't rolling that bottom pairing out like we did last night.

If you want to appreciate Emelin you just have to watch Irwin on that Landeskog goal last night. It certainly gave me perspective.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What's going to be insane is when the 3rd pairing loses a shift a period in the playoffs. 50-54 minutes of the defensman concrete block of f*** you!

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a copy of a WPG post from their out of town thread (didn't want to quote the guy directly in case he was joking). but if he was serious and not saying this tongue in cheek, this is one of the more laughable posts I've seen in years;

they are talking about how to beat the preds and this guy chimes in

"And reffing. The refs hate us small market teams and love big market teams like the Preds"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad