Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
a copy of a WPG post from their out of town thread (didn't want to quote the guy directly in case he was joking). but if he was serious and not saying this tongue in cheek, this is one of the more laughable posts I've seen in years;

they are talking about how to beat the preds and this guy chimes in

"And reffing. The refs hate us small market teams and love big market teams like the Preds"

I just, it's gotta be a joke.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
a copy of a WPG post from their out of town thread (didn't want to quote the guy directly in case he was joking). but if he was serious and not saying this tongue in cheek, this is one of the more laughable posts I've seen in years;

"And reffing. The refs hate us small market teams and love big market teams like the Preds"

Had to be sarcastic... would hate to think there is someone on this planet who is actually that stupid....

Reactions: SouthNash

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Judging by the posting history, completely serious

I noticenone of the Jets fans responded to it either way. Makes me think they consider the guy a crank and just don' bother engaging him in convo.

Wanted so badly to just post a simple "Wait,wut?" Or the "wat" lady meme...

Reactions: PerdFan

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I noticenone of the Jets fans responded to it either way. Makes me think they consider the guy a crank and just don' bother engaging him in convo.

Wanted so badly to just post a simple "Wait,wut?" Or the "wat" lady meme...
I know I read that earlier and did a double take. I guess Winny is small in comparison but, :laugh:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I agree fangs.. that depth and matching problems is the difference.

and I totally agree that Irwin was an absolute tire fire out there.

I feel like that early, very physical shift got in Irwin's head. He (and Fisher, too, to some extent) seemed to just be looking to make the big hit after some initial fireworks, and then Colorado ended up scoring while folks were out of position. Maybe I'm wrong, but the thought did cross my mind that Irwin needed to stop looking for the hit and start looking for the play.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand

My whoop of laughter could be heard throughout the neighborhood.

Reactions: LCPreds

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I'm in South Florida visiting a friend. I always pull for the Panthers since I lived here for a few years. Watching their game vs the Oilers today made me appreciate how dominant the Preds are right now. The Panthers are a hot team scratching and clawing for the last wild card spot in the East. And boy do they have a lot of weaknesses. Blown defensive coverages, horrendous face off percentage, average goaltending. If the Preds win the Presidents trophy, it's no fluke. Nashville is just that good!

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah today was a big loss for the Panthers. I' thinking now they don' make it.

Lightning lose 3-0 to Boston.

Man, oh man... it's all right there for us....

Reactions: SouthNash

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah today was a big loss for the Panthers. I' thinking now they don' make it.

Lightning lose 3-0 to Boston.

Man, oh man... it's all right there for us....

Boston now is only 2 pts behind Tampa with 98pts. Going to have to start looking at Boston now and not just Tampa.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I honestly don't care either way about the President's Trophy. It'll be nice, if they win it, to put the banner in the rafters, but I'd rather go into the playoffs relatively rested and healthy than bust ass to get the President's Trophy.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I honestly don't care either way about the President's Trophy. It'll be nice, if they win it, to put the banner in the rafters, but I'd rather go into the playoffs relatively rested and healthy than bust ass to get the President's Trophy.
times 100

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Considering how Lavi handled going into the playoffs last year, I have a strong feeling he is going to do what best for the playoffs and if we win the President's Trophy that will be a bonus. I do think he will want to win the division for sure though just for home ice.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Considering how Lavi handled going into the playoffs last year, I have a strong feeling he is going to do what best for the playoffs and if we win the President's Trophy that will be a bonus. I do think he will want to win the division for sure though just for home ice.

Yeah I'm OK with that. If we are in a position where we need to fight for seeding then I get it, but to play for the President's Trophy kind of feels like playing for a novelty to me. If we get it, great. It's an extra banner. If not, that's fine, too. Focus on the ultimate prize. I hear it comes with a much cooler banner.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah I'm OK with that. If we are in a position where we need to fight for seeding then I get it, but to play for the President's Trophy kind of feels like playing for a novelty to me. If we get it, great. It's an extra banner. If not, that's fine, too. Focus on the ultimate prize. I hear it comes with a much cooler banner.
Ultimately he may leave it up to the guys though. I mean it would be a first and while we might be ok not winning it the players may feel differently.

I would guess most of the players woukd be like us, it's cool but not the goal. You never know though.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Hockey is such a game that if you are playing you can't actually rest. I expect Lavy will continue to rotate healthy scratches as much as he can and maybe give Saros an extra start but this talk that somehow we can be "more rested " to any significant extent is silly

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Hockey is such a game that if you are playing you can't actually rest. I expect Lavy will continue to rotate healthy scratches as much as he can and maybe give Saros an extra start but this talk that somehow we can be "more rested " to any significant extent is silly

This is what I mean. As a fan, I'd prefer to see more guys getting rest when they can if the options are basically "play for the President's Trophy or rest for the playoffs."

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Boston now is only 2 pts behind Tampa with 98pts. Going to have to start looking at Boston now and not just Tampa.

At the 71 game point we are 9 points ahead of Vegas, 4 points ahead of Tampa, and at least 4 points ahead of Boston depending on how they do with their game in hand. Edmonton and Columbus can help us over the next couple of days with wins on the road .... a Preds road win would be helpful as well.

Reactions: myFialabot

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
don't like weekends without pred games.

I do agree about the whole idea of 'resting' players before the playoffs is an idea that more often than not backfires. you see team after team in sport after sport attempt to do that and it almost always comes back to haunt them. players and teams tend to lose their 'edge' when given time off right before playoffs. the only advantage that sometimes comes of it is by chance maybe you avoid an injury to a key player. but the risk tends to be greater than the award most times.

our 'advantage' is that basically we only have one extra forward right now anyway, and we can generally afford to play a non-producing salomaki instead of one of our other forwards... especially when the primary guys we are tending to rotate are our two oldest players anyway, hartnell and fisher... two guys that above all others could probably use a little more rest besides.

now on the backside, we have two marginal guys (being kind here), in bitetto and Irwin. two guys that can 'rotate' with two other guys above them in weber and Irwin and it not kill us horribly most nights (well ok, that rotation usually turns into at least one goal per swap game). but as long as the rotation is limited to the bottom pair we can usually live thru it.

3 games a week gives sufficient physical rest for players. but when you talk about rest, the key thing is probably more mental rest for your goaltenders, that's the position that demands total focus and concentration every shift. we obviously have a great situation right now in that we lose very little when saros is in net.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I know a lot of people don't agree with this but I really think Bitetto is actually the best option of the 3 for the 6th defenseman. I'd love to see him get 2-3 games in a row to try and put it together. He's far and away the best option offensively and skating wise and I feel like his failures in the defensive zone are just game speed decisions that will never get better without a couple of games strung together. By the way he can also control players along the wall unlike the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad