Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is a real good trade for us, Rykov was a stud at WJC and he’s a pretty good prospect, best defense prospect Devils have and if you hate the Devils you can go onto their board and see them pissed off
But seriously, to anyone upset about this trade look up Yegor Rykov on YouTube and watch the 25 min shift by shift of him at WJC (watch half at least, you’ll be impressed) and tell me he isn’t an absolute stud, his defensive awareness is really good as is his stick work, knows when to pinch at the right times as well. You don’t see him caught out of position at all. (Yes I’ve watched actual games of him away from WJC) (also yes I do know I said this before, gotta emphasize how good he is though) give me Rykov+mid 2nd over 1st any day. If he were anything but Russian people would be drooling over him even more

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Anyone that cannot see past the fact this possibly speeds everything up and actually able to SEE a specifics player (Rykov) in comparison to just a "number" whether it be a 1 or a 2, oh well nevermind. We just have to trust Gorton and staff they have done their homework and GOT what they wanted.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Furthermore, if things go well in 1-2 years......Gorton will have entirely REPAIRED what Sather has done, trading just about all of our 1's and 2's over the last 7 years or so and getting so very little in return. Hmmmm, let me see. Clowe, Staal, Shepard, Cally etc. Wonder what players "could've been" playing for us or in the very near future had we NOT traded them. Anyone?

Assuming we just go with what those teams actually picked (at the very least)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On another note, I think we may have already watched McD's last game as a Ranger. Very quiet about his "injury", don't ya' think? Does putting him back in the lineup make any sense at this point, only to trade him maybe the next day? I dunno. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ori and egelband

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Anyone that cannot see past the fact this possibly speeds everything up and actually able to SEE a specifics player (Rykov) in comparison to just a "number" whether it be a 1 or a 2, oh well nevermind. We just have to trust Gorton and staff they have done their homework and GOT what they wanted.
Hearing what Gorts said it sounds like this is exactly the case.

Liked him at the draft... have seen a lot of him since on SKA and liked him more.

I have no doubt they saw a lot of him and liked him... the question is do they know what the hell theyre doing and does liking someone translate to diamonds or McIlraths?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
But seriously, to anyone upset about this trade look up Yegor Rykov on YouTube and watch the 25 min shift by shift of him at WJC (watch half at least, you’ll be impressed) and tell me he isn’t an absolute stud, his defensive awareness is really good as is his stick work, knows when to pinch at the right times as well. You don’t see him caught out of position at all. (Yes I’ve watched actual games of him away from WJC) (also yes I do know I said this before, gotta emphasize how good he is though) give me Rykov+mid 2nd over 1st any day. If he were anything but Russian people would be drooling over him even more
My concern is if he they will ever be able to get him over here?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
On another note, I think we may have already watched McD's last game as a Ranger. Very quiet about his "injury", don't ya' think? Does putting him back in the lineup make any sense at this point, only to trade him maybe the next day? I dunno. Thoughts?

Yes, I speculate that Ryan Mc. is gone before deadline - and in my opinion that`s the only move which make sense in such a rebuild. Why wait one year or until summer window to get less value back?

He is 28 and should be moved fast as possible for future core key pieces.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers are always going to be looking for more than just picks here, we know this.

They're going to look for prospects they think have upside, or who have shown progression since being drafted.

Their vision is not to rebuild around 3 draft picks in the 24-31 range.

First rounders are part of the equation, but they're not the whole equation.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My concern is if he they will ever be able to get him over here?

This concern is based on absolutely nothing. Rykov has never said he doesn't want to play in the NHL. It's just fear mongering by idiots like Zipay, Gross etc. Only because he's Russian. We've been over this

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Amazed how many posters think there is an anti-Russian bias here. I always read this opinion, but don't remember reading anti-Russian posts.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s not, but if u think about the Grabner deal @chosen - maybe a 2nd + prospect in Igor is just fine and what we need, but it depends how Igor perform as well.. So maybe better to wait to evaluate that particular trade move. I just wish we had a 1st for him even in 2019 draft, but we will see how good Igor is in near future. Grabner pacing for 32+ goals this season and should be worth a 1st pick in my opinion.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
This concern is based on absolutely nothing. Rykov has never said he doesn't want to play in the NHL. It's just fear mongering by idiots like Zipay, Gross etc. Only because he's Russian. We've been over this
Is there absolutely anything, ANYTHING, to imply that he is planning to come over? Or, is it just the speculation by people on here that all players want to leave their country to play in the NHL?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Amazed how many posters think there is an anti-Russian bias here. I always read this opinion, but don't remember reading anti-Russian posts.

To be fair, there was quite a run of deleted posts yesterday. It definitely exists; far less so here on HF, but on the NYR Facebook/Instagram page you will see some real loons.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is there absolutely anything, ANYTHING, to imply that he is planning to come over? Or, is it just the speculation by people on here that all players want to leave their country to play in the NHL?

Turning it around, I see. Whatever you want. After being drafted he gave interviews where he didn't indicate anything that he wanted to stay in Russia. Rykov stated in several interviews how great it was to play in Canada during the 2017 WJC.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant unless the majority or at least a large portion of Russian draftees refuses to come over. That is not the case. It never has been. Aside from a handful of players who either never came over or went back after they didn't succeed in the NHL, there aren't Russian kids who refuse to come over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers in 7

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To play devils advocate here, is there anything, ANYTHING, that shows he has said he doesn’t want to leave the KHL?
Nothing that I have seen, but not sure what that means.
Turning it around, I see. Whatever you want. After being drafted he gave interviews where he didn't indicate anything that he wanted to stay in Russia. Rykov stated in several interviews how great it was to play in Canada during the 2017 WJC. He played in the WJC in Buffalo in 2018 and was again positive about the atmosphere and overall vibe.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant unless the majority or at least a large portion of Russian draftees refuses to come over. That is not the case. It never has been. Aside from a handful of players who either never came over or went back after they didn't succeed in the NHL, there aren't Russian kids who refuse to come over.
Does this somehow mean he is going to come over as soon as his contract is over with the KHL? Did he indicate anything to say he wants to come play in NA? Seems like you are speculating just as the writers.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

Does this somehow mean he is going to come over as soon as his contract is over with the KHL? Did he indicate anything to say he wants to come play in NA? Seems like you are speculating just as the writers.
You said you’ve seen nothing that states he wants to come over to the nhl. As if to say he won’t come over. I’m saying there is no proof either way, although @Pavel Buchnevich has stated he has said he loves playing over here

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

As I said... There are more Russians that do come over than Russians that don't come over when offered a contract. As long as that's the case, there is no reason to worry

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You said you’ve seen nothing that states he wants to come over to the nhl. As if to say he won’t come over. I’m saying there is no proof either way, although @Pavel Buchnevich has stated he has said he loves playing over here
So, Buchnevich loves playing here, so that means Rykov is coming over? Interesting. I know, I know, they are friends. My concern about him not coming over is pure speculation, just like your insistence that it is not an issue is speculation on your part. Time will tell. I hope my speculation is unfounded, but we shall see.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
So, Buchnevich loves playing here, so that means Rykov is coming over? Interesting. I know, I know, they are friends. My concern about him not coming over is pure speculation, just like your insistence that it is not an issue is speculation on your part. Time will tell. I hope my speculation is unfounded, but we shall see.
Dude your going to lose here. Just looked something up online. This is a chart of where players come from through the draft from 1995-2005. I will look for something newer but this belief that Russians don’t come over to the nhl is stupid.

During that time frame of drafted players to play in the nhl over 10% were Russian. Third highest league percentage.

Attachments

• 0A9A2FFA-F310-4334-B822-BC4699763EE6.png
    0A9A2FFA-F310-4334-B822-BC4699763EE6.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad