Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Say what you want about the McDonagh trade but this trade and the Nash trade were hit right out of the ball park. What an asset Grabner has been bought low, contributed to the team immensely and then got us a high draft pick and a good prospect.
And after the trade is helping that pick become a higher spot than when we got it :naughty:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That said, the Rangers have a pretty packed roster already. Can’t see there being more than two or three spots to fill. Unless they let Namestnikov and/ or Spooner walk.

Reactions: Phoicon

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
That said, the Rangers have a pretty packed roster already. Can’t see there being more than two or three spots to fill. Unless they let Namestnikov and/ or Spooner walk.

Can´t see them letting Namestnikov or Spooner walk since they are both RFA-s rather than UFA-s. Perhaps either of them could be traded, even though that is not what I want but I think many of our fellow fans would not mind an extra pick or prospect.

Our forward core lacks a true sniper and that is difficult to get through a trade (especially a young one). So I would bet we will draft someone like Wahlstrom or Kravtsov. Then again, we also lack a bonafide 1D so that is where my fantasy of drafting both Wahlstrom and Hughes takes wings...

Off I go to dreamland...

Well, coming back to the Grabner trade, I can see us also picking someone who could be considered a steal, like Wise with the pick. Making this trade absolutely awesome. I mean the trade could end up being Grabner for Rykov, Wise and ... wait for it Grabner again, if he resigns with us.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just think Grabner had a level of comfort in Ranger blue. He doesnt fit with the Devils and its showing

Fully agreed with this. It's not his game, I'm not even convinced it's this system. I think Grabs just fit really well here, hence why I see him taking just a slight raise to come back here.

$2M/year for 2-3 years

Reactions: bl02

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The only locks I think are here next year are Mika, Kreider, Hayes, Fast, Buchnevich, Nemestnikov, Shattenkirk, Skjei, Pionk and Lundquist.

Everyone else is on shaky ground.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So my question with Grabner is, if his offense at this point is a product of the system, do you bring him back if you fire the coach? If he's playing in a system that doesn't have the forwards just hanging out waiting for stretch passes, does his offense dry up? I know he brings more to the table than that, but it's worth considering.

Reactions: Graves94

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I agree 100% that Grabner’s play is the product of AV’s system.

He doesn’t fit well with the Devils possession style

If I was him, I’d be trying to sign wherever AV goes next year. He’s like the only guy I’ve seen actually succeed in AV’s garbage system

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree 100% that Grabner’s play is the product of AV’s system.

He doesn’t fit well with the Devils possession style

If I was him, I’d be trying to sign wherever AV goes next year. He’s like the only guy I’ve seen actually succeed in AV’s garbage system

Do the Devils actually play a possession system? All I've seen is their fans say that they don't have possession and Machinehead seems to support that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Devil's don't play that system. They rely on scoring chances and high end talent to score

Tl;Dr, Taylor hall + Jesper Bratt = NJ Devils

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Still a big fan of his if the price is right. He's not gonna command big money in the open market this summer so could still come back at 2-3 years at 2-2.5 million per. Would still be terrific 3rd or 4th line guy. great attitude. team guy. can kill penalties. Was also good in the playoffs for us in 2017

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Still a big fan of his if the price is right. He's not gonna command big money in the open market this summer so could still come back at 2-3 years at 2-2.5 million per. Would still be terrific 3rd or 4th line guy. great attitude. team guy. can kill penalties. Was also good in the playoffs for us in 2017

AV is probably gone end of this season - so hopefully we have another system in place. And I`m not too certain that Grabner will be an instant success in a new system if he struggles now with the Devils 14 games 2 goals + 1 assist.

Michael Grabner Stats and News

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
So my question with Grabner is, if his offense at this point is a product of the system, do you bring him back if you fire the coach? If he's playing in a system that doesn't have the forwards just hanging out waiting for stretch passes, does his offense dry up? I know he brings more to the table than that, but it's worth considering.

Very valid concern. I saw Grabner being slotted in top6 early after signing with Debbies and I thoroughly it’d be a bad idea. I don’t know how he’s been used recently but the drop in production does suggest AV system highlighted his strength and there is likely a level of comfort he has within the organization besides AV factor. Let’s not forget that Grabner brings other qualities to the table, not just breakaways where he’s hanging around waiting for the pass to start it. He creates his own opportunities by being a good defensive player making right reads and having an active stick. He’s good on PK. These qualities do not disappear in a different system. If his recent struggles help bring his price down to say $2.7m it could’ve be a worthwhile investment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bratt's had a nice season, but his drop-off was as obvious as it gets once the SH% went down to a normal number. Still a very good season, considering probably no one thought he'd make the NHL this season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I don't really get exactly why Grabner has struggled there. Dude makes most of his own chances and you'd think he plays the straight ahead fast attack off the rush game they want, so maybe there's just some defensive responsibility that's keeping him too low in the zone, etc. I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->