Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
The wording in that tweet is kind of odd. Is it that they're rebuilding so they don't need me? Or is it they're rebuilding so now I have a better chance to make the team?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The wording in that tweet is kind of odd. Is it that they're rebuilding so they don't need me? Or is it they're rebuilding so now I have a better chance to make the team?

I think make the team. A lot of the time players from the KHL are worried more about a spot on the team than how good the team is right away. If the team is so good that they are sent to the AHL, they are taking a big reduction in salary. The players who start off in the AHL are more accustomed to the situation. Players in the KHL don't want to go from salaries of hundreds of thousands or even millions to 70k.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think make the team. A lot of the time players from the KHL are worried more about a spot on the team than how good the team is right away. If the team is so good that they are sent to the AHL, they are taking a big reduction in salary. The players who start off in the AHL are more accustomed to the situation. Players in the KHL don't want to go from salaries of hundreds of thousands or even millions to 70k.

Правда!

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
We should let him play maybe one game here before going this far but I understand the sentiment.

2-years away... a lot can happen

Not really judging on what he will become. He has top 4 potential, I think that is pretty unanimous.

Moreso that we can now see the evidence that we got a B/B+ NHL-interested prospect as opposed to just a shot-in-the-dark hope that he'll come over.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Geez... already comparing Lundqvist and Shestyorkin. That’s the spirit.
I’m assuming if the Rangers were to win with Lundqvist backing up Shestyorkin you would boo the kid right before he hands it to Hank... as you break out the Kleenex.

You said it would be an improvement thus you’re the one comparing already saying he’ll be an improvement over Hank. A guy who hasn’t seen a second of NHL action over a first ballot hall of famer.

Not sure what your trying to accomplish with your Kleenex comment so I’ll that alone.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Not really judging on what he will become. He has top 4 potential, I think that is pretty unanimous.

Moreso that we can now see the evidence that we got a B/B+ NHL-interested prospect as opposed to just a shot-in-the-dark hope that he'll come over.
Yup. Agree.

We signed Grabs for $ and turned him over for two assets. That's why I said agree w the sentiment.

But the pick becomes nothing and the kid is a #7 D... maybe we lost the trade?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Can’t say “we won” - does Grabner become instrumental in NJD deep run in playoffs? Does he resign there for a reasonable contract and give them three 20-goal seasons? Will that 2nd round pick turns into a bust? Does Rykov realize top 4 potential? All unknown variables at this point.

What the Rangers got is a good value in return for Grabner.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yup. Agree.

We signed Grabs for $ and turned him over for two assets. That's why I said agree w the sentiment.

But the pick becomes nothing and the kid is a #7 D... maybe we lost the trade?

Yeah, fair.

I treat trades as kind of a two thumbs up (one immediately decided, and one after seeing some results) deal. This trade deserves an immediate one thumbs for me, and if Rykov doesn't work out, then perhaps the second thumb will be down. So worst case for me, I would probably consider it a wipe on Gorton's record in the long run.

I hear where you're coming from though. We haven't got access to a lot of the information that NHL execs do; it's difficult to declare close trades to be a win one way or the other. I just like what I've read and watched of Rykov these last few days, but I could be jumping the gun a little.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah, fair.

I treat trades as kind of a two thumbs up (one immediately decided, and one after seeing some results) deal. This trade deserves an immediate one thumbs for me, and if Rykov doesn't work out, then perhaps the second thumb will be down. So worst case for me, I would probably consider it a wipe on Gorton's record in the long run.

I hear where you're coming from though. We haven't got access to a lot of the information that NHL execs do; it's difficult to declare close trades to be a win one way or the other. I just like what I've read and watched of Rykov these last few days, but I could be jumping the gun a little.
Yeah not a bad way of looking at trades. Sometimes it works out equally well or bad for both teams also.

Time will tell

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
You said it would be an improvement thus you’re the one comparing already saying he’ll be an improvement over Hank. A guy who hasn’t seen a second of NHL action over a first ballot hall of famer.

Not sure what your trying to accomplish with your Kleenex comment so I’ll that alone.

Astonishing how you interpreted that as a comparison.
Glad to know which folks to take seriously from here on out. Elliman, got it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Chances for young players to get in. Probably thinks most coaches will otherwise stick to veterans, which is pretty accurate league-wide.

Yeah definitely, much bigger shot at playing off the bat. Like what type of shot would a LD have at making the team when we had McD/Skjei/Staal at LD?

On a side note, Shestyorkins immidiate text to Egor is also a good sign. Shows that he is following this team and plans for a future with us.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
My point is
Dumb

K im sry. Rude. But it IS a dumb point.

If the player never comes over we still have a,2nd. What if that 2 becomes a player?

If both the pick and yegor never play then the trade was STILL a good trade bc we got good value for grabner based on what he could get. When u trade a guy for picks and prospects you are trading for a chance at a player. The value of that chance depends on the pick and prospect. In this case, we have received two fairly valuable chances, exactly what could be expected.

Trading grab for a 7th round pick is bad bc the value of that chance is super low

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Again, honestly - after we signed him 2 summers ago, after an 18 point season for just $1.65, did anyone expect anything of substantial value from him? Surely not 50+ goals and definitely not a 2nd round pick. Not to mention a potential NHL d-man. Getting anything for him is a win in my book.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah not a bad way of looking at trades. Sometimes it works out equally well or bad for both teams also.

Time will tell

I tend to look at trades the same way, with one other caveat. The second thumbs up or down is 100% about the way the players we got perform. I don’t balance it against the performance of the player we traded.

For example, Marc Savard’s performance has no impact on the second thumbs down that trade receives.

And this goes even more so for who other teams pick with picks we trade to them. The failure of Oleg Saprykin doesn’t make the second evaluation of that trade any better. If they had taken Barrett Jackman (who went a few picks later) instead, it wouldn’t make the second evaluation any worse.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I tend to look at trades the same way, with one other caveat. The second thumbs up or down is 100% about the way the players we got perform. I don’t balance it against the performance of the player we traded.

For example, Marc Savard’s performance has no impact on the second thumbs down that trade receives.

And this goes even more so for who other teams pick with picks we trade to them. The failure of Oleg Saprykin doesn’t make the second evaluation of that trade any better. If they had taken Barrett Jackman (who went a few picks later) instead, it wouldn’t make the second evaluation any worse.

I would agree with this as far as established players are concerned. Grabner's performance in New Jersey or where he choses to re-sign hold no weight for me. I think with prospects though, I still hold their development into account a little.

The Eric Staal trade for instance; If Saarela develops into a middle six offensive threat, that will be a further knock against that trade for me. A minor knock, because of all the added variables, but a knock none the less.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not really worried about getting him over.

We don’t have much of a history of having a hard time getting Ruasian players to come over, and New York really isn’t a place that’s unappealing from a global perspective.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
So, Buchnevich loves playing here, so that means Rykov is coming over? Interesting. I know, I know, they are friends. My concern about him not coming over is pure speculation, just like your insistence that it is not an issue is speculation on your part. Time will tell. I hope my speculation is unfounded, but we shall see.
There is an overwhelming presumption that he will until something definitive is stated by him - based on evidence of all those in similar situations.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Once upon a time we all also loved the Holden trade from the AVS...Patrick Roy told AV it was a steal

Spin it all you guys want..this grabs trade was a sign of desperation and tells a lot about the market out there.

No team is going to give all those #1s and high end prospects for Nash or McD..

We’ll end up with one #1 and a suspect like Rykov or ADA for Nash and McD at best
I reported this post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad