Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Rangers win this deal, but it was a calculated risk taken by the Devils. If Grabner had performed at the level he did with the Rangers, it would make this one pretty close.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So I get the argument about 2nd rounders having less value than Hf typically acknowledges. But let's drop the narrative about Rykov being a 5th rounder who may not come over.

a) His value is substantially higher than a 5th now, especially given his WJC performance
b) He's coming overseas. I'd bet my life savings on it. That;s like arguing that a trade for an NCAA prospect is crap because there's an extremely small chance that they won't sign after their senior year.
Not really an HF thing, 2nds ARE in fact that %, yes always good to have more than less, but lets be honest its likely a depth move.
The Devils were in need of D men way before the TDL. If you think Shero did not consider that before making its first deal with the NYRs then your just wrong. Good p/u for Gorton, we're out so no matter what its an asset, fleecing just isn't the word
As for Heckler81: LOL sour grapes... no, I just don't think we got fleeced

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NJ may have taken one for the team here. I think they did a big favor to the rest of the league to prepare them from giving 5 million / over decent term to Grabner for putting up near 30 goals 2 seasons in a row.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So I get the argument about 2nd rounders having less value than Hf typically acknowledges. But let's drop the narrative about Rykov being a 5th rounder who may not come over.

a) His value is substantially higher than a 5th now, especially given his WJC performance
b) He's coming overseas. I'd bet my life savings on it. That;s like arguing that a trade for an NCAA prospect is crap because there's an extremely small chance that they won't sign after their senior year.

I think Rykov plays for NYR. Based on post trade comments doesn’t sound like Rykov had any interest in playing for NJ and I’m skeptical Shero didn’t undertake some due diligence first to find out Rykov’s interest in NJ before trading him. The he won’t come over narrative was probably true while NJ held his rights. NYR will be attractive to him with former teammates playing there most likely and glamour of NY for a young person. For NYR trade is a win and from No perspective the message to push the team into the playoffs was necessary if a bit of a bitter pill.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Terrible hockey player. Not a coincidence he’s only successful on losing teams. Worst trade NJ has made in a long time, and this man played himself out of what could’ve been a nice pay day this summer. But yeah. He sucks

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Terrible hockey player. Not a coincidence he’s only successful on losing teams. Worst trade NJ has made in a long time, and this man played himself out of what could’ve been a nice pay day this summer. But yeah. He sucks

Or...it was a bad fit and some 2 months and 20 games dont mean as much has his last 2 years

not saying pit should or will sign him, but that's a place I could see him succeed in if he were to go there.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Or...it was a bad fit and some 2 months and 20 games dont mean as much has his last 2 years

not saying pit should or will sign him, but that's a place I could see him succeed in if he were to go there.
Nah, everyone knows what he is. Has speed and no finishing ability. He’s either gonna score 20-25gs or like 3. Not worth paying him

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012

Odd conclusion, he was just as good for NYR in 16/17...and struggled for Toronto when they sucked.

Wherever AV finds a job, Grabner MUST follow

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm really rooting for Grabs to come back next year and put up another 25 plus goal season. I know it didn't work out in NJ but the guy really Played his ass off last 2 years and produced. Not to mention playing really well on pk

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Yes fleeced on a second round (48th when you expected a first for him) 12% chance of making the pros and a Russian who was picked in the 5th round and may never come over.

This deal was for Rykov, they must feel they can get him over here. Like was stated, everyone thought they could get a 1st for Grabner. There has to be a reason the Rangers made this trade almost a week before the deadline instead of waiting till the last day 5o see who might pay a 1st. Rangers have ties to Rykov through Busch and Shestyorkin. One way or another they made this trade almost assured that they can get him over here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's a pretty terrible mindset on why to make a trade.

Make a trade just to make a trade because you hope it will encourage the boys to play harder because you think "Oh the GM is going for it! He traded for a 3rd liner, he must believe in us, now lets win that cup!"

It was a loss for the devils. Plain and simple. These are just excuses now to try and make the trade not look as bad as it was.

It wasn't "make a trade just to make a trade." Besides, this team had a lot of players who solidified NHL roles this year and guys that rejuvenated their careers. You had Hall as an MVP candidate, Hischeir 1C, Vatanen 1RD, Coleman and Noesen on the third line, Butcher as PPQB, and so on. Getting those guys experience in the playoffs and knowing what it takes to get there is huge.

The idea was to bolster the scoring depth. By buying, it also signals to the team that Shero has faith in them and expects them to make the playoffs (or else he wouldn't deal a second round pick). Grabner was scoring at a ridiculous rate these past couple years and if he could've continued that, you would assume he would have 6 or 7 goals in the stretch run.

Maroon luckily did what we traded for Grabner for, but that was a deal that just fell into Shero's lap at deadline day.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I dont get it, for years all the Rangers ever did was trade their picks and we were told that is why they are not getting to the next level. Now we trade for picks and are being told 2nd rounders are worthless

I don't think anyone is saying it's worthless, but the Devils and Rangers are at different spots right now. A second round pick means something different to them.

The second round pick matters less to the Devils given they wanted to make the playoffs, get experience, and have had the most picks the last two years. To the Rangers, it's currency to bolster their prospect pool or use to trade for young players.

Rangers have dealt a lot of picks away despite weak prospect pools with little depth which is likely what you're referencing.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
I wouldn't be surprised to see Grabner follow AV where ever he goes. I think he was much more of a product of AVs system as he fit that system perfectly.

As for how bad the trade is/was. At the time getting the Grabner that was playing on the Rangers would have been great for the Devils. The speed, PK and occasional scoring. In hindsight, he was a complete bust. Doesn't make the move any worse at the time is was made.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
I don't think anyone is saying it's worthless, but the Devils and Rangers are at different spots right now. A second round pick means something different to them.

The second round pick matters less to the Devils given they wanted to make the playoffs, get experience, and have had the most picks the last two years. To the Rangers, it's currency to bolster their prospect pool or use to trade

Guy I quoted before was saying how a 2nd rounder only had a 12% chance of making the pros. I fully respect why the Devils made this trade. All of us thought it would help you, nobody expected him to turn into a healthy scratch. I really do agree with a posting I saw before that his ‘heart wasn’t into playing for the Devils’ If there is any truth to that that is disgusting for a pro athlete to be like that, as unprofessional as anything.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Devils absolutely needed to add a scoring winger and Grabner (theoretically) fit the team mantra with his speed.

Only to those who were looking at his stat line and not how he was scoring those goals, or what his limitations as a player actually were.

Rangers win this deal, but it was a calculated risk taken by the Devils. If Grabner had performed at the level he did with the Rangers, it would make this one pretty close.

The odds of that happening were always very low. Because while NJ plays with speed (which is Grabner's forte), his only asset is his ability to create chances due to his speed. I screamed this very very loudly at the time (and then was overjoyed that he wasn't traded to PIT) that he couldn't cycle the puck, that he couldn't work well with others to get them the puck, and that the odds of him even coming close to what he did in NYR was very remote, and that the Grabner that NJ was going to see was the same depth guy Toronto saw. NJ and NY played very different styles - both involved speed, but that's where they ended. And when Grabner went to NJ and stopped playing in a system that catered to him and instead was asked to play in a system that was focused on possession hockey, he showed exactly what many thought he was.

I'm not saying that what Grabner did in NY was a fluke - it wasn't. But that success was extremely dependent on the system that NY played that catered to Grabner and his abilities by using the stretch pass, where he could frequently score off the rush (either on a breakaway or by being fed a pass by a highly skilled linemate).

Anyway, his failure in NJ was predicted by several people who could look past the numbers and his speed and see how he actually played the game. And that even with Hagelin getting hurt in Pittsburgh's last game, I'm still thankful as f*** that Pittsburgh didn't trade for Grabner.

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
You got fleeced. From all scouting reports, Rykov is consider pretty close to a can't miss, NHL defenseman. Most project him as a top 4 guy. The pick who knows. Grabner did nothing in NJ. The Devils defenseman are hardly talented as a group. Giving him away for a guy that did nothing was a disaster if he makes the NHL and is a solid defenseman.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Odd conclusion, he was just as good for NYR in 16/17...and struggled for Toronto when they sucked.

Wherever AV finds a job, Grabner MUST follow

I think that would be his best chance at a payday. Sign a short contract (1-2 yr deal max) and hope that AV will put him in similar situations that he had in NY, then translate that into a big NHL contract. And contract aside, playing for AV (or another coach that will use him the same way) is also his best way at putting him numbers similar to the ones he had in NY.

That said, given how the NHL is trying to trend/transition to a more puck possession style of game, I'm not sure how many real options there will be for him to play in a system that can really cater to him like AV did the past 2 seasons. It'll also be interesting to see how his stint in NJ affects the contract that he will receive this summer. Is he the player we saw in NY (who despite some very real limitations could score) or is he the guy we saw in NJ (where he's next to useless and only a PKer/4th liner when not being catered to)? The former will earn a decent contract, the latter will not.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You got fleeced. From all scouting reports, Rykov is consider pretty close to a can't miss, NHL defenseman. Most project him as a top 4 guy. The pick who knows. Grabner did nothing in NJ. The Devils defenseman are hardly talented as a group. Giving him away for a guy that did nothing was a disaster if he makes the NHL and is a solid defenseman.

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of that, if reports were that NJ didn't think that they could get Rykov to sign with NJ and come over to the NHL and actually play for them, then it doesn't really matter now does it? Add in the fact that players having success in Europe doesn't automatically translate into NHL success, and it shouldn't really be a surprise that NJ decided to offload that risk onto the Rangers. Maybe he does come over. Maybe he does make the NHL. Maybe he even becomes an impact player. But that's a bunch of maybes... and NJ decided to go with the sure thing. Despite Grabner's issues, he was still a guarantee to actually play for the team. And even if he wasn't able to replicate his offense (I said he wouldn't), he could at the very least be a depth player who added speed to the lineup and was able to help the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00