Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
He was real good on the Jack Capuano, no money, we're gonna find some random dudes and put them with Tavares Islanders. Think he basically played the same role as he did in NYR. And I think he'd be good as a fourth line change of pace guy on a legit cup contender.

When I'd see Devils games after the trade, Coleman and Bratt were mostly doing the same job. Well, Grabner can only do one job

Reactions: Ori

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So this is what the Ryane Clowe, Eric Staal, Tim Erixon, etc. trades feel like from the other end. Not bad. Gotta hope Rykov is a player.

Reactions: Klaus3154 and Bozle

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For team morale at the time, it still makes this deal worth it.

Looking back on it, it looks horrendous, but this was while the Devils were clinging onto a playoff spot and Shero gave the team a vote of confidence to bolster the scoring depth. For a young team that hasn't been there before, they needed a taste of the playoffs.

I think if Shero went through the trade deadline doing nothing, the team would look at it as management not having faith in them to get the job done.

This is the way that quite a few teams did things this year. Likewise with the flyers adding Mrazek... it wasnt because Mrazek was supposed to lead us to the cup (he cant even get in the games), but it was more about just giving the appearance of trying to give the team a chance.

Smart moves by both GMs for making an effort- no matter how small - to make it seem like they have the team some support.

The opposite wouldve been the Knighys spellings UFAs at the deadline because "they didnt expect to be there" and needed assets. Nobody wouldst stuck around if that was the case.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Looking back on it, it looks horrendous, but this was while the Devils were clinging onto a playoff spot and Shero gave the team a vote of confidence to bolster the scoring depth. For a young team that hasn't been there before, they needed a taste of the playoffs.

I think if Shero went through the trade deadline doing nothing, the team would look at it as management not having faith in them to get the job done.

Looking at it in that sense, sure I can buy it as a good move. But then I'm also certain that they could have found another option that didn't cost as much or who would have been a better fit to be that piece.

And no this isn't hindsight - I've been trashing Grabner since it was rumored what NYR was asking for him up until he was traded.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Looking at it in that sense, sure I can buy it as a good move. But then I'm also certain that they could have found another option that didn't cost as much or who would have been a better fit to be that piece.

And no this isn't hindsight - I've been trashing Grabner since it was rumored what NYR was asking for him up until he was traded.

I think management thought his speed and scoring ability would be a perfect compliment to some of our guys. Plus, our PK was struggling around the time too, so I think they were hoping for a big boost from that.

As far as rentals go, there wasn't much out there that made sense. Devils were looking for veteran guys most likely to bring to a young group and guys on a low price point. We didn't need bottom-six grinding forwards and we weren't going to shell out firsts or multiple seconds.

The only other guy that was dealt that the Devils could've been interested was Vanek. Kane likely wasn't the best fit for a young group. Maroon just fell into the Devils lap at TDL day and Shero couldn't refuse.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think management thought his speed and scoring ability would be a perfect compliment to some of our guys. Plus, our PK was struggling around the time too, so I think they were hoping for a big boost from that.

As far as rentals go, there wasn't much out there that made sense. Devils were looking for veteran guys most likely to bring to a young group and guys on a low price point. We didn't need bottom-six grinding forwards and we weren't going to shell out firsts or multiple seconds.

The only other guy that was dealt that the Devils could've been interested was Vanek. Kane likely wasn't the best fit for a young group. Maroon just fell into the Devils lap at TDL day and Shero couldn't refuse.

IDK. All the criticism that Grabner was getting in this thread since the trade happened was the exact same thing I said about him in the days leading up to the trade (can't cycle, can't pass, is lost out there, can't play with skilled players/isn't all that smart IQ wise). The guy is a one trick pony who can PK. If you want him to help the PK, sure. But people had all sorts of weird expectations for him that were always extremely unrealistic.

Anyway, I'm just glad he wasn't traded to Pittsburgh. It's unfortunate that he didn't work out better for NJ (would have loved to see them upset TB), but it wasn't a surprise to me at all.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I think he hated being traded from NY. He went because he had no choice but IMO, his heart was never into playing for the Devils. He'll probably re-sign with NY and score 25 goals a season for a couple of more years. In the end, the Rangers fleeced NJ which makes me happy.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think he hated being traded from NY. He went because he had no choice but IMO, his heart was never into playing for the Devils. He'll probably re-sign with NY and score 25 goals a season for a couple of more years. In the end, the Rangers fleeced NJ which makes me happy.
Yes fleeced on a second round (48th when you expected a first for him) 12% chance of making the pros and a Russian who was picked in the 5th round and may never come over. If Grabner wants to join a team without a coach, with the rumor of Kovy coming over and probably movement of other vets from the team to live through a rebuild, god speed!

Reactions: Riptide and Dialamo

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The only way this trade is even is if Rykov never shows up in the NHL. Grabner was dreadful for us. Maroon on the other hand was awesome.

Reactions: Dialamo

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Yes fleeced on a second round (48th when you expected a first for him) 12% chance of making the pros and a Russian who was picked in the 5th round and may never come over. If Grabner wants to join a team without a coach, with the rumor of Kovy coming over and probably movement of other vets from the team to live through a rebuild, god speed!

LOL sour grapes...

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Awful trade, awful player. I didn't like trading with the Rangers then and even less now. Good assets gone for nothing. He helped a bit with the PK down the stretch but other than that was useless. Thought he'd fit the system, but didn't. Trade sent a message to the team and we made the playoffs, which was nice.

Unmotivated, gutless, one trick pony. Good riddance, space junk.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The trade made sense at the time because the Devils needed scoring wingers. However, it clearly did not pan out the way they had hoped. Shero took a gamble and showed faith in his team but clearly the end result wasn't that great. It happens. We've had so many picks the past few years that losing one isn't the end of the world.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The trade made sense at the time because the Devils needed scoring wingers. However, it clearly did not pan out the way they had hoped. Shero took a gamble and showed faith in his team but clearly the end result wasn't that great. It happens. We've had so many picks the past few years that losing one isn't the end of the world.

Agreed.

Swing and a miss. Every team does it from time to time. Better than being caught looking.

We just happened to benefit from it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

So I get the argument about 2nd rounders having less value than Hf typically acknowledges. But let's drop the narrative about Rykov being a 5th rounder who may not come over.

a) His value is substantially higher than a 5th now, especially given his WJC performance
b) He's coming overseas. I'd bet my life savings on it. That;s like arguing that a trade for an NCAA prospect is crap because there's an extremely small chance that they won't sign after their senior year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

That's a pretty terrible mindset on why to make a trade.

Make a trade just to make a trade because you hope it will encourage the boys to play harder because you think "Oh the GM is going for it! He traded for a 3rd liner, he must believe in us, now lets win that cup!"

It was a loss for the devils. Plain and simple. These are just excuses now to try and make the trade not look as bad as it was.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's a pretty terrible mindset on why to make a trade.

Make a trade just to make a trade because you hope it will encourage the boys to play harder because you think "Oh the GM is going for it! He traded for a 3rd liner, he must believe in us, now lets win that cup!"

It was a loss for the devils. Plain and simple. These are just excuses now to try and make the trade not look as bad as it was.

the trade did not work out. However, to say that the trade didn't make sense at the time is a falsehood. The Devils absolutely needed to add a scoring winger and Grabner (theoretically) fit the team mantra with his speed.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Soemone on the Devils board mentioned that this is much better than signing him to a 5+ year deal in the offseason expecting him to replicate his production. On the surface he seemed like a good UFA candidate for this team, but now that we got a trial we know not to give him an albatross contract.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
the trade did not work out. However, to say that the trade didn't make sense at the time is a falsehood. The Devils absolutely needed to add a scoring winger and Grabner (theoretically) fit the team mantra with his speed.

I didn't say it didn't make sense at the time. I said the excuse that poster uses to try and justify it was silly.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Yes fleeced on a second round (48th when you expected a first for him) 12% chance of making the pros and a Russian who was picked in the 5th round and may never come over.
If I offered you a free lottery ticket, would you take it? I' ll take free lottery tickets all day long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->