Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
damn. sucks for him. devils really testing their depth. first severson was a healthy scratch a couple times, then schnieder, now grabner

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
$

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He started off good, not sure what the hell happened.... he was good for the first 5 or 7 games.

Many fans were still high on him, despite his lackof production.....but that has faded very fast now, and it looks like coaching staff is seeing the same. He was on 4th line for a bunch of games now, not even in lineup.

He doesn't even seem fast right now.... and isn't generating any plays...... its......strange.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's pretty odd. Maybe because you're entire team is on the fast side? So he's not the one hanging or getting the puck on those chances that makes him a dangerous threat? With us, he as the much faster than anybody on his line, so when the puck went to him he skated the puck out as far and fast as he could to get his chances.

Its unfortunate because I think this hurts his next contract, which seemed to be headed to at least 4.5/year. Maybe he re-signs with the Rangers for a reasonable price / maybe he takes a shorter deal somewhere else now.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think he follows Vigneault, especially if Vigneault goes to a team without a very high level of team speed.

Can someone name some other journeyman players like this who are so different wearing different sweaters? Just an interesting career.

Reactions: Mikos87

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
That's pretty odd. Maybe because you're entire team is on the fast side? So he's not the one hanging or getting the puck on those chances that makes him a dangerous threat? With us, he as the much faster than anybody on his line, so when the puck went to him he skated the puck out as far and fast as he could to get his chances.

Its unfortunate because I think this hurts his next contract, which seemed to be headed to at least 4.5/year. Maybe he re-signs with the Rangers for a reasonable price / maybe he takes a shorter deal somewhere else now.

Yeah, we saw the "fast Grabner and generating tons of plays" in the first 7 games. He was a bit unlucky somewhat in the stint, probably should have had a few more goals over the last span, but his impact of play has been really regressed (except for his PK play has been reasonable.....)

It's like he doesn't know what to do when he gets the puck now. Puck hits stick like grenade and he's very quick to rush it away from him to someone else. He's been totally forcing plays as of late. I expected him actually to skate up the puck more, but he's looking for the dish.

It sucks for him and the fans, at some point fans were talking to attempt to re-sign him because his speed matches so well, but i think that went out the window in the last bunch of games

Wonder if he'll see another game in the P/Os.........

If Rangers want to sign him back, they'll definitely get a good deal now.... if that's all part of the plan. :rolleyes:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

From what I saw from the Rangers, it seemed like they basically played zone defense especially against opposing teams rushes. They hardly engage, but they try to force your options, predict where you're going, and turn the puck over that way.

Devils is more controlled chaos on ice. They pressure the puck carrier, look to engage physically, take the puck, and make a play. Grabner isn't that type of player. He seems like he generates more off of neutral zone turnovers or leaving the offensive zone quickly.

Plus I would say Wood is essentially the same type of player as Grabner, but fits the Devils system better and has more familiarity with the forwards and defense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a one trick pony. Rush opportunities and odd man rushes.

When he's not getting those he's somewhere between irrelevant and liabililty.

The Devils system lends itself more to forechecking and puck hounding than the Rangers who were all about trying to stretch the ice and get rush chances so I could see why he might be struggling.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He's a one trick pony. Rush opportunities and odd man rushes.

When he's not getting those he's somewhere between irrelevant and liabililty.

The Devils system lends itself more to forechecking and puck hounding than the Rangers who were all about trying to stretch the ice and get rush chances so I could see why he might be struggling.
Seems like a perfect fit for the Oilers lol

Reactions: LiasAndersson

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
He was pretty bad for the Leafs before he went to the Rangers.

I think this season was more of an exception than anything

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He was pretty bad for the Leafs before he went to the Rangers.

I think this season was more of an exception than anything

He was good last season also.

He thrives in a system that ignores having the puck and focuses on getting exclusively great chances. He's a good finisher.

In any system that involves possession and cycling, it rears it's ugly head that Grabner has no idea where he's supposed to be and that shooting and skating are his only assets.

Not that Hynes is a systematic genius and the Devils are some corsi machine - quite the opposite. But they play actual hockey. The Rangers didn't under AV, as I've said many times. They played pond shinny.

Reactions: Ori

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For team morale at the time, it still makes this deal worth it.

Looking back on it, it looks horrendous, but this was while the Devils were clinging onto a playoff spot and Shero gave the team a vote of confidence to bolster the scoring depth. For a young team that hasn't been there before, they needed a taste of the playoffs.

I think if Shero went through the trade deadline doing nothing, the team would look at it as management not having faith in them to get the job done.

Reactions: Starat327 and Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->