Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Only to those who were looking at his stat line and not how he was scoring those goals, or what his limitations as a player actually were.

The odds of that happening were always very low. Because while NJ plays with speed (which is Grabner's forte), his only asset is his ability to create chances due to his speed. I screamed this very very loudly at the time (and then was overjoyed that he wasn't traded to PIT) that he couldn't cycle the puck, that he couldn't work well with others to get them the puck, and that the odds of him even coming close to what he did in NYR was very remote, and that the Grabner that NJ was going to see was the same depth guy Toronto saw. NJ and NY played very different styles - both involved speed, but that's where they ended. And when Grabner went to NJ and stopped playing in a system that catered to him and instead was asked to play in a system that was focused on possession hockey, he showed exactly what many thought he was.

I'm not saying that what Grabner did in NY was a fluke - it wasn't. But that success was extremely dependent on the system that NY played that catered to Grabner and his abilities by using the stretch pass, where he could frequently score off the rush (either on a breakaway or by being fed a pass by a highly skilled linemate).

Anyway, his failure in NJ was predicted by several people who could look past the numbers and his speed and see how he actually played the game. And that even with Hagelin getting hurt in Pittsburgh's last game, I'm still thankful as **** that Pittsburgh didn't trade for Grabner.

congrats, I guess?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Way too much is being made about this trade. It was worth the risk for the Devils. It made sense for the Rangers to maximize Grabner's value and get some assets for him.

People seem the have the need for there to be a winner and loser in every trade. It really doesn't have to be that way.

Yeah. There's this belief that the Rangers swindled the Devils or something. Grabner played really well for the Rangers and was a goner because of his UFA status. They got market value for him from a team and keeping him would have done nothing since they were out of it so why does it matter to the Rangers what he did after he was gone? The value for the Rangers is the same whether he scored 1 goal or 100. In retrospect it sucked for the Devils but that's the risk with rental trades sometimes. It made sense for them to go after some guys out there given it was their first time pushing for a playoff spot in years and the price they paid at the time seemed reasonable. Didn't work out, shit happens.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
congrats, I guess?

I had people (including Pen fans) tell me I was f***ing nuts - but this was predicted. Just way too many ppl on HF who do nothing but look at the stat sheet. But it's BS for people to come out now and be like "well he should have fit like a glove - who know he wouldn't". Those people are morons. A small group of ppl on HF said this very thing would happen... but yeah it was all bad luck or some shit like that. :laugh:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yeah. There's this belief that the Rangers swindled the Devils or something. Grabner played really well for the Rangers and was a goner because of his UFA status. They got market value for him from a team and keeping him would have done nothing since they were out of it so why does it matter to the Rangers what he did after he was gone? The value for the Rangers is the same whether he scored 1 goal or 100. In retrospect it sucked for the Devils but that's the risk with rental trades sometimes. It made sense for them to go after some guys out there given it was their first time pushing for a playoff spot in years and the price they paid at the time seemed reasonable. Didn't work out, **** happens.
I know this is irrelevant but I’m 100% sure Grabner would’ve wanted to resign here
I personally thought Grabner would do great with NJ, they play a fast paced game but their system isn’t right for Grabner. It’s neither NJ or Grabners fault really they just aren’t a match

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
It's OK to admit the Rangers fleeced somebody in a deal. :nod: They fleeced Boston in the Nash deal.

Tampa made the deal they had to do. If they win it all, it was worth it for them. They gave up 2 very good prospects. Love Howden. Hajek according to many scouts could be a stud on d for a long time. Tampa needed to make that deal. Honestly, without that deal, that NJ series would have been completely different. Both team will win with that deal. I thought Grabner would do well for NJ. He didn't. It happens.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Way too much is being made about this trade. It was worth the risk for the Devils. It made sense for the Rangers to maximize Grabner's value and get some assets for him.

People seem the have the need for there to be a winner and loser in every trade. It really doesn't have to be that way.

I mean, there doesn’t have to be the stupid fan base dick measuring but there’s definitely a clear winner to this trade.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Why? If Grabner didn't have a single point but the Devils won the Cup, the Devils would have been a clear winner of the trade?

If he helped them win then it would have been a good trade with both sides. They lost in the first round though pretty handily and he didn’t contribute anything so, yes, the Rangers clearly won given how much was given up.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
If he helped them win then it would have been a good trade with both sides. They lost in the first round though pretty handily and he didn’t contribute anything so, yes, the Rangers clearly won given how much was given up.

I guess that depends on whether or not Rykov plays for the Rangers (and at what capacity) and if the 2nd turns into anything. As of now it’s too early to declare a winner or loser.

I mean we can at least speculate that he helped the Devils get the the playoffs. He did put up a few points in his time here. I think he might have even had a GWG. Considering how close the wild card spots were this year I think that’s at least something.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

"Rykov + 2nd" may look pricey on paper, but you have to analyze this in context. The Devils surrendered a package of very expendable pieces to gamble on a veteran that fit(s) their style.

Our AGM stated there were no indications Rykov would be coming to North America anytime soon. That likelihood may change now that he's Rangers property, given their current Russian players and ties to players still playing in Russia. Again, all part of the gamble... this time from the Rangers' end.

The 2nd round pick doesn't mean anything to us, really... we've been swimming in picks/futures for years now. Hell, we turned picks that weren't even our own (FLA 2nd - Savard deal; TOR 3rd - Lou) into Marcus Johansson. That pick means more to the Rangers than it does to us.

It was an educated gamble that didn't pan out. Shero isn't gonna bat 1.000, folks.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yes fleeced on a second round (48th when you expected a first for him) 12% chance of making the pros and a Russian who was picked in the 5th round and may never come over. If Grabner wants to join a team without a coach, with the rumor of Kovy coming over and probably movement of other vets from the team to live through a rebuild, god speed!
Soooo you think it's ok to give away 2nd round picks and good prospects for nothing in return every year? Or are you just trying to save face for some reason?

Let's not pretend the NYR are trade deadline gods. Someone else already pointed out Eric Staal, Ryan Clowe. Teams make terrible trades. It happens.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I guess that depends on whether or not Rykov plays for the Rangers (and at what capacity) and if the 2nd turns into anything. As of now it’s too early to declare a winner or loser.

I mean we can at least speculate that he helped the Devils get the the playoffs. He did put up a few points in his time here. I think he might have even had a GWG. Considering how close the wild card spots were this year I think that’s at least something.

Grabner's shorthander against the Kings was a huge go-ahead goal, and he is an elite penalty killer with wheels. That's about all he contributed.

However, I'll maintain it was a good trade at the time. It was a powerful statement from GM to players that, as a team that wasn't projected to sniff the playoffs, trades were being made to gear up for a run. It was the vote of confidence they needed down the stretch.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Or...it was a bad fit and some 2 months and 20 games dont mean as much has his last 2 years

not saying pit should or will sign him, but that's a place I could see him succeed in if he were to go there.
Nah the other guy is right.

NYR Grabs was the exception, not the rule.

I never understood why there was such a market for Nash or Grabs. To me, the NYR were just insanely lucky with grabs. With nash we all know his playoff history. Plus his play and stats this season weren't exactly all that great. I similarly had no clue wth the rangers were doing with Clowe and Staal.

For some reason the NFL is the opposite. I see teams trade for older players for pennies on the dolalr (5th round picks) and the old guy turns out great still. In the NHL those guys get huge contracts or 1-2 round picks and flame out.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You guys are really grasping at straws to find a way to justify how this trade could not look bad at the moment. The mental gymnastics are excessive. It’s pretty simple. Devils got Grabner as a deadline addition for their playoff run. Did nothing in the playoffs and they lost first round handily.

There’s little to no difference to the Devils season without this trade happening. Meanwhile, the Rangers have a larger asset pool and a stronger prospect pool because they have a mid 2nd and a decent prospect they could either develop or trade in the future. Therefore the Rangers are in a clearly better position with this trade than without it.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
How do we know what they gave up?

They gave up a 2nd and Rykov. You’re stretching so hard to justify your position here. Nobody said they’ll turn into players for the Rangers. It’s literally just the concept of asset management. Their prospect pool and asset pool is considerably stronger because they have a mid 2nd and a decent prospect that they didn’t before for a player that was leaving regardless and had little to no impact on the Devils or Rangers season. It’s literally that simple.

One team gained assets and the other lost assets. The Devils did so because they wanted to add an impact player for the playoffs. The lost in the playoffs and Grabner had little to no impact. Therefore one team got what they wanted and the other didn’t.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Terrible hockey player. Not a coincidence he’s only successful on losing teams. Worst trade NJ has made in a long time, and this man played himself out of what could’ve been a nice pay day this summer. But yeah. He sucks

NYR: 2016-2017 2nd round eliminated, noted, loser team.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean losing a 2nd rounder is not ideal, but it's not like NJ is starving for prospects and picks. The Devils have picked 20 players in the last two drafts. There are plenty of guys in Bingo that will be competing for spots as early as next year. We've also hit on some later round guys like Bratt and Wood and have some other late picks like Davies, Talvitte, Seney, and Chainey all looking like they'll at least have pro careers.

Another 2nd would have been great but I assume Shero would have used it as trade capital instead of drafting a young player since we already have plenty of those.

I mean, if it really makes you happy to say that the Devils got #REKT in this deal then sure, whatever floats your boat. Sucks to not get anything back for your investment but some people are acting like we gave up premium assets. 2nd rounders are the standard price for deadline acquisitions and it's something we could afford to pay.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I had people (including Pen fans) tell me I was ****ing nuts - but this was predicted. Just way too many ppl on HF who do nothing but look at the stat sheet. But it's BS for people to come out now and be like "well he should have fit like a glove - who know he wouldn't". Those people are morons. A small group of ppl on HF said this very thing would happen... but yeah it was all bad luck or some **** like that. :laugh:

Fantastic.. You're in the group that doesn't look at stat sheets. Why don't you tell us that again, and again, and again? "Those people are morons." How nice of you. :thumbu:

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
They gave up a 2nd and Rykov. You’re stretching so hard to justify your position here. Nobody said they’ll turn into players for the Rangers. It’s literally just the concept of asset management. Their prospect pool and asset pool is considerably stronger because they have a mid 2nd and a decent prospect that they didn’t before for a player that was leaving regardless and had little to no impact on the Devils or Rangers season. It’s literally that simple.

One team gained assets and the other lost assets. The Devils did so because they wanted to add an impact player for the playoffs. The lost in the playoffs and Grabner had little to no impact. Therefore one team got what they wanted and the other didn’t.

Actually, you're the one who is stretching. And moving the goal posts.

You seem to want to judge the trade on results. If the Devils would have won the Cup, it would have been a success. They didn't and in your mind it's not.

But you're judging the Rangers return on what they got, not what those two pieces may or may not be.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You guys are really grasping at straws to find a way to justify how this trade could not look bad at the moment. The mental gymnastics are excessive. It’s pretty simple. Devils got Grabner as a deadline addition for their playoff run. Did nothing in the playoffs and they lost first round handily.

There’s little to no difference to the Devils season without this trade happening. Meanwhile, the Rangers have a larger asset pool and a stronger prospect pool because they have a mid 2nd and a decent prospect they could either develop or trade in the future. Therefore the Rangers are in a clearly better position with this trade than without it.

True, and the Devils lost sleeves off their vest. Rykov and the 2nd rounder were two very expendable pieces; it was worth the gamble.

You're the only one passionately stating the Devils got boned. If that were the case, wouldn't there be more Devils fans bugging out with you?

We're all kind of just shrugging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad