Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
If you have ever watched Brodeur play, you will see why. The reason is he helps a team be a team. He seems to help the flow of the game in terms of breakouts, etc. During his prime he was pretty good at stopping the puck, but imagine having an extra guy in the defensive zone playing the puck. He did that, and he did it well. Brodeur would help your team score more while keeping the score from the other team down.

There was a reason he was the winningest goaltender. Sure he had some hall of fame players but he was a very crucial component to those teams. They changed their system based on his strengths.

It is a shame Brodeur is retired, if he was in his prime with this current Devils team he would fit them like a glove.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
What's wrong with this guy? I was really enthusiastic when I heard Shero traded him to the Devils, but he has been completely lost on the ice. Eight games, zero points.

Todd Cordell:

"When the New Jersey Devils acquired winger Michael Grabner, who, at the time of acquisition, had scored more even-strength goals than all but Auston Matthews over a ~1.75 year span, the hope was he’d provide steady secondary scoring to help take some of the load off Taylor Hall and the big guns.

So far that hasn’t been the case. Far from it. In eight games as a Devil, Grabner has not scored a goal. He hasn’t even recorded a point.

That wouldn’t be a huge concern if the Devils were sitting comfortably in a playoff spot, or if Grabner was piling up the shots and chances. Unfortunately, neither is the case."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=91618

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
He's streaky, but this is pretty bad for him. Can't see it lasting much longer, but if it does it has to be related to a difference in system/line mates or comfort level. I don't know.

He worked out with us, scoring a bunch both years, but that doesn't automatically mean it'd work with you. I must admit I thought/think it would/will due to your speed, but I really don't know much else about how you actually play or how he's being used. Sometimes it never gels. Look at Eric Staal with us, look at him now =/

Not gonna lie, part of me hopes he really doesn't fit in and therefore has a higher chance of coming back to us as a vet presence who fits in during our rebuild, if he's adamant about staying in the area. Could always return to his Islander "roots" I suppose. Regardless of what he does from now until end of season and potentially playoffs, someone will definitely offer him a decent deal for a year or two and I genuinely hope it's us, even if he only ever scores 15 again.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Safest play for the opposition was Grabner as a Leaf on a breakaway. Speed to burn but could not put it in the net. It was painful to watch.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Safest play for the opposition was Grabner as a Leaf on a breakaway. Speed to burn but could not put it in the net. It was painful to watch.

He has missed on a couple of shorthanded breakaway opportunities with us, too.

I expect the points to come. I'm not all that worried. As has been mentioned above, I think his speed and PK prowess becomes an even bigger weapon in the playoffs. We just gotta get there first.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
potted a good amount of goals like that the past two seasons with NYR odd he would just flat line the minute hes traded. especially when he was traded to a playoff team

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's been terrible with the Devils so far, and that has nothing to do with him not scoring. He's a huge liability when he's on the ice.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Grabner is a limited player outside of his PK speciality teams which he is great. He reminds me of Carl Hagelin - I doubt that Grabner will sign for the Rangers with a new system and coaching staff.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't know, maybe he's not happy there? I know he loved being a Ranger, but there's no reason that I can think as to why he's been this bad. From the little I've seen of him with the Devils he looks disinterested at times.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think he's not scoring on purpose.

There was just something magical that clicked for him in New York, but not in Toronto and not yet in New Jersey.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think he's not scoring on purpose.

There was just something magical that clicked for him in New York, but not in Toronto and not yet in New Jersey.

It doesn't make sense, it's not like the team's system changes how he behaves on a breakaway. He should be the most versatile player in the league, linemates and coaching should have little to no impact on his biggest offensive weapon.

I really can't understand why he shuts down on some teams.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Trade him to Edmonton for whatever junk you gave us for Maroon. Oilers get to testdrive him and see if he shuts down on us as well... NJ gets their pick n prospect back.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
There is a simple explanation for his play: He does not like his new jersey.
Cause it is red.
His hometown (VSV, Villach) jersey is blue, the biggest rivals jersey (KAC, Klagenfurt) is red.
I could have told you before, but nobody asked me!
You are welcome.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad