Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
WOjxI7s.jpg

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Regardless of what has happened, this was a good deal for the Devils.

A 2nd and a defender that may or may not ever come to NA for a 27 goal scoring 3rd liner?

Done and done.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's a system player, and a streaky one at that. He excels in a system that lets him blast off and use his speed as a weapon. Very average, very disappointing player in a system that doesn't let him fully capitalize on that. That it isn't working out smoothly after the deadline shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has followed his career. And yet here we are...:dunno:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Grabner is a limited player outside of his PK speciality teams which he is great. He reminds me of Carl Hagelin - I doubt that Grabner will sign for the Rangers with a new system and coaching staff.

This is the exact reason the NYR should not look to resign him. He thrives in a certain kind of system where his speed can be freed up with long dangerous passes. Next season with an infusion of youth, I'm not sure that is the best way to go considering they will make plenty of mistakes without doing that.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Can't believe Grabner is already 30+. I remember following him with the Manitoba Moose as a Canucks fan. Was very sad when we traded him, but even back then he was a very streaky player.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He's a system player, and a streaky one at that. He excels in a system that lets him blast off and use his speed as a weapon. Very average, very disappointing player in a system that doesn't let him fully capitalize on that. That it isn't working out smoothly after the deadline shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has followed his career. And yet here we are...:dunno:
Are you implying the Devils do not have a system based on speed and transition?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Grabner is a limited player outside of his PK speciality teams which he is great. He reminds me of Carl Hagelin - I doubt that Grabner will sign for the Rangers with a new system and coaching staff.

Hagelin is a much better forechecker.

Reactions: Ori

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Are you implying the Devils do not have a system based on speed and transition?

I think he was saying that the Rangers main offensive weapon is the stretch pass (****ing AV) and that's where Grabner excels. The Devils are a transition team and they sure are fast, but they aren't necessarily a team that relies on the stretch pass to generate offense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's been terrible with the Devils so far, and that has nothing to do with him not scoring. He's a huge liability when he's on the ice.
That's odd. He was one of our more reliable players on the rink when it comes to not being a liability. Was a plus player for us, not that plus minus means much. Maybe he's upset about being traded? Maybe it's an adjustment? I'm not sure, but I'm expecting him to at least start getting more shots on net. 11 in 8 games is pretty bad here.

Reactions: Lays

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Seems like the Rangers did very well with this trade. Grabner is a really streaky player and needs to be in a very specific situation to thrive the way he did in New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the Rangers at the start of next season as his stint with the Devils will definitely drive down his market value/price.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think he was saying that the Rangers main offensive weapon is the stretch pass (****ing AV) and that's where Grabner excels. The Devils are a transition team and they sure are fast, but they aren't necessarily a team that relies on the stretch pass to generate offense.

Yeah. Pretty much this.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Grabner had like 4 breakaways vs the Pens. He looked like a prefect fit to me for the Devils.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers stole him unless NJ wins the cup. Hopefully, they hit on the 2nd rounder. However, from all reports Rykov is a lock to be a solid NHL defenseman. Devils fans trying to play off that might make the NHL is laughable. I have read multiple scouting reports which state he will be the guy next to a number 1 defenseman holding down the fort.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers stole him unless NJ wins the cup. Hopefully, they hit on the 2nd rounder. However, from all reports Rykov is a lock to be a solid NHL defenseman. Devils fans trying to play off that might make the NHL is laughable. I have read multiple scouting reports which state he will be the guy next to a number 1 defenseman holding down the fort.
Agreed. We did very well at the deadline, I’m starting to like the McDonagh trade a lot, Howden and Hajek are legit prospects
I’ve always liked Rykov and think he can be a solid 3/4D and a 2nd in this draft is great considering I think this is one of the deepest 2nd rounds we’ve seen in a while

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There is a simple explanation for his play: He does not like his new jersey.
Cause it is red.
His hometown (VSV, Villach) jersey is blue, the biggest rivals jersey (KAC, Klagenfurt) is red.
I could have told you before, but nobody asked me!
You are welcome.
This lighthearted response still does not explain his inability to score with the Toronto Maple Leafs, who wear blue-and-white.

He is a skilled player and hopefully it all comes together soon :)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
He had a pretty good game today. Finally got a goal and an assist. He's been exactly what I expected so far. He's great on the PK and he makes good things happen in the defensive zone and in transition with his speed. Otherwise he's very forgettable.

He's still been good for a breakaway a game. Maybe some of those will start going in again.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hes been good IMO. Too much doom and gloom from these posters. His points and goals will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad