Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ask yourself why Grabner would agree to a series on 1 year deals. It makes no sense for him to do so when he's still good enough to get a contract with term (and therefore security), likely from a contender.
He would be gambling on staying healthy retaining speed.
Then he would enjoy year to yr overpay.

If he prefers security long term Rangers should pass.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Farewell Grabs, it was nice seeing you in blue.
If you follow him on IG you can see he takes hockey and his fitness really seriously - one has to respect that.

I hope our front office nails these picks, I have such little faith in them.

Similar to Martin St. Louis in that regard.

He's a fitness freak. I'm not worried about his legs falling off for at least a few years.

GTP_582A5901-1500x1000.jpg

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Once Johansson is healthy:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Grabner
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen/Hayes/Stafford/Gibbons

It's going to be fun to watch.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If he resigns with NJ this is a pretty fair deal. I feel his value was around a second maybe another pick. But If he leaves as a free agent I feel NJ gave up a defensive prospect too much.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Quote on the Devils board also alluded to the potential of him not coming over.

Not directed at you -- This is a common refrain for Russian prospects, but how many times has this actually become an issue? And, moreover, how many times has this actually become an issue for a team located in a major US city? The rumor strikes me as reading too much into a quote which may have had 100% to do with the fact that he's still SKA property for another year, or just wishful thinking on the part of those wanting to declare the Devils winners of the trade.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not directed at you -- This is a common refrain for Russian prospects, but how many times has this actually become an issue? And, moreover, how many times has this actually become an issue for a team located in a major US city? The rumor strikes me as reading too much into a quote which may have had 100% to do with the fact that he's still SKA property for another year, or just wishful thinking on the part of those wanting to declare the Devils winners of the trade.
I'd tend to agree with you. There is a lure, ala Kaprizov, that SKA could potentially have. If he comes over, it won't be for money because they have it.

Also agree with the point about his KHL contract. By the time he does come over, maximum '19-'20, we have a couple players like Walsh that may be ready to contribute anyway. Our core players on the backend are actually pretty young with Severson, Santini, Butcher, Mueller, even Vatanen. Not that there's not a lot to improve there, but.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Devils fans have been worried about him coming over for awhile now...this isn't a new thing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I understand he's a rental but this seems like a horrendous return.

Seems like the going rate for rentals. Doesn't seem like that long ago we dealt Lee Stempniak for a 2nd+4th. Rykov has some potential. I'm sure it's been mentioned in the the thread, but it'll depend on whether a team can convince him to sign an ELC over a more lucrative (and guaranteed) deal to stay a few more years in the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad