Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CHI/ARI] Kane (@25%) and Zech to NYR; Welinski, Saarijarvi, ‘23 2nd (top 10 prot ‘24 1st if NYR make ECF), ‘25 4th to CHI; c. ‘25 3rd to ARI

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Gotta say, after watching Kane’s first two games with the Rangers, I really wish he would have given the Hawks a few more teams to negotiate with, I was really hoping to see him play for a Stanley Cup contender.

Jealous of what?
Three cups since 2010.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Partly about figuring out the chemistry. Mostly about having to manage two men short AND working around GG's idiocy. He's already down a forward, so what does he do? He shortens his bench even further, only playing 5 guys with any kind of regularity (the line that scored both goals was getting ~12 minutes today). The players missing from the blueline are also throwing everything out of whack. At full strength, not only would the Rangers have 6 defensemen instead of 5, but one of their current 5 guys would be the #6 d-man (Mikkola), and another would be scratched (Harpur). Right now, I think the team is just trying to get through this mess (to be fair, a mess largely of their own creation due to cap finagling and K'AM's spitting incident), and then worry about finding the chemistry later.

I HOPE that GG over-played the 5 guys at the top to help them start finding that chemistry (since he knows the kid line already have it), but knowing him, the new shiny toys are just his latest excuse to use one of his more effective lines as a 4th line.
Might be the most logical post since I have been reading. Tarasenko had a rough couple of games and since has been hot. People need to realize that not everything happens right away. Of course everybody wants instant results, but this isn't NHL 23 where you plug them into the lineup and chemistry and comfort aren't a factor. This guy just spent 16 years in one place and hasn't even had a practice with the team, his linemates, the PP. But when he pops off, this thread will go silent.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
When NYR fans didn't want to pay a premium for a guy that looked hurt and not the same, they were told by others that it's because the Hawks are bad.

Kane looks bad on NYR and now we're told by others that Kane is cooked and everybody knew.

I'll wait for him to have a practice. I just don't think Panarin and Kane together passing across the rink 100 times is going to work. Might have to split them even though that was apparently the selling point.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
When NYR fans didn't want to pay a premium for a guy that looked hurt and not the same, they were told by others that it's because the Hawks are bad.

Kane looks bad on NYR and now we're told by others that Kane is cooked and everybody knew.

I'll wait for him to have a practice. I just don't think Panarin and Kane together passing across the rink 100 times is going to work. Might have to split them even though that was apparently the selling point.
He's cooked. No practices, same city for 16 years, no housing yet, girlfriend with a young kid. Cooked. Leave it up to EA Sports it's in the game folks to tell you how easy it is to play pro hockey and immediately produce at a high rate.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Gotta say, after watching Kane’s first two games with the Rangers, I really wish he would have given the Hawks a few more teams to negotiate with, I was really hoping to see him play for a Stanley Cup contender.

Three cups since 2010.
Five final fours in seven years...

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

That's pretty much what they were doing near the end of their run together on the Hawks - spending more time getting cute trying to set each other up than playing good hockey.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Bad hockey from the Rangers lately no doubt. But still, Kane's first game. No Lindgren, no Miller, 11F 5D vs. a young, hungry, actually pretty decent Senators team.

Who btw are 4 pts in back of you, with 3 games in hand.
That young, hungry pretty decent Senators team just got taken to the cleaners by the tanking Hawks 5-0.

which is why you gotta love hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: Jauffre

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
He looks like complete shit so far. Rangers decided once again to f*** the rebuild and be the Vegas of the East.
you and everyone else counting Kane out already just seem to be looking at it from the perspective of the Rangers having gotten extremely desperate and acquired Kane to be THE guy. To, "save the franchise" or some ridiculous narrative pushing bullshit. Guess what, Kane has been nothing more than a complimentary piece this entire season, and even more-so now on the Rangers with the forward core they have. I could say the same about Senko.
The sky is not falling in NY because Kaner isn't a ppg player right now and all it's going to take is a big game clutch goal by him for all of the negativity to magically dissipate and people's opinions to completely flip.

patience, Drury got the guys he did for down the stretch

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Hard to look fast and energetic when getting through the neutral zone is like navigating a minefield.

Not to mention how useless PP2 is because Trouba has as much skill as I do.

The Rangers need a PMD. That's issues 1 through 100 with the team right now.
K'Andre and Fox are both excellent PMD are they not?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The chances of that pick turning into a 1st are really fading, which means the Rangers punted away assets for nothing...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
K'Andre and Fox are both excellent PMD are they not?
Fox is, yes, and if you look at the analytics, the Rangers are a cheat code when Fox is on the ice. He can't play 60 minutes.

Miller is a very weird player. He's as good as any defenseman in the league at carrying the puck but he absolutely SUCKS at passing it. Depending on the competition, he's a mixed bag. If he's allowed to rush, he's effective and the Rangers look pretty good. If he's forced into quick passes, he's just another board-chucker and the Rangers have five of those on defense.

The inability to move the puck for 32, 33 minutes out of 60 (even when Fox plays a ton) forces the Rangers to play pretty slow and boring no matter how much talent they bring in.

Nonetheless, the reactions in here are over the top. The Rangers haven't been healthy one game since Kane arrived. Lindgren being out has forced Fox into babysitting 5v5. When Lindgren is back, the Rangers will at least have some minutes (all of Fox's and some of Miller's) where they're getting pucks to these high-end forwards on the rush.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Fox is, yes, and if you look at the analytics, the Rangers are a cheat code when Fox is on the ice. He can't play 60 minutes.

Miller is a very weird player. He's as good as any defenseman in the league at carrying the puck but he absolutely SUCKS at passing it. Depending on the competition, he's a mixed bag. If he's allowed to rush, he's effective and the Rangers look pretty good. If he's forced into quick passes, he's just another board-chucker and the Rangers have five of those on defense.

The inability to move the puck for 32, 33 minutes out of 60 (even when Fox plays a ton) forces the Rangers to play pretty slow and boring no matter how much talent they bring in.

Maybe Nils should have been kept.

I did wonder why NYR didn't upgrade their D at the deadline. Surely it would have made a lot of sense to land Orlov over more W help? Even Chychrun was had fairly cheap.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe Nils should have been kept.

I did wonder why NYR didn't upgrade their D at the deadline. Surely it would have made a lot of sense to land Orlov over more W help? Even Chychrun was had fairly cheap.
The Rangers think their defense is set.

They got rid of Nils because he was never getting the spot over tall, tough Braden Schneider who couldn't pick the puck out of a photo lineup.

Not valuing the offensive side of the D position has been a generational flaw with the Rangers. They always have their token guy (Leetch, Fox) but everyone else has to be big, safe, and hit a lot before anything else is evaluated.

I mean, for f***s sake, they're playing Ben Harpur over a perfectly healthy Zac Jones because Harpur is tall.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Too early to pass judgement on Kane amd how he is on the Rangers . Have they had a practice together yet? A lot of ex-NHLers have said it takes at least close to the playoffs starting after the TDL to get in a groove on a new team.
This plus the Rangers currently short handed on D are legit reasons that so far there has been some struggles. Once they get some more time to figure out line combinations and Kane gets used to the team more , then we will be able to see if addig him was a good move or not.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad