Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CHI/ARI] Kane (@25%) and Zech to NYR; Welinski, Saarijarvi, ‘23 2nd (top 10 prot ‘24 1st if NYR make ECF), ‘25 4th to CHI; c. ‘25 3rd to ARI

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can‘t trade a player with salary retention for future considerations.
There must be more to it than that...

In the past two seasons:
-The Maple Leafs acquired Matt Murray with 25% retention from the Senators for future considerations
-The Sabres acquired Will Butcher with 24.39% retention from the Devils for future considerations
-The Kraken acquired Victor Rask with 50% retention from the Wild for future considerations

With that said, I can't seem to find any examples older than that at first glance

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Nice to see Kane putting up points. He’s certainly looking more comfortable out there. The point totals are especially impressive because I still don’t believe he’s fully hit his stride yet.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
please do tell us more... i want to know what to expect from him when everything is on the line cause it feels like hes playing cautious to stay healthy for the postseason

He should have two Conn Smythe awards while probably a runner up in 2015 for the thing.

nuff said

Reactions: Barnaby and Calad

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There must be more to it than that...

In the past two seasons:
-The Maple Leafs acquired Matt Murray with 25% retention from the Senators for future considerations
-The Sabres acquired Will Butcher with 24.39% retention from the Devils for future considerations
-The Kraken acquired Victor Rask with 50% retention from the Wild for future considerations

With that said, I can't seem to find any examples older than that at first glance

I should have phased that better.

Can you find any example of a third team double retention without something other than future considerations being exchanged? The third party team has always sent signing rights to a player.

Just this year:

- Bonino to PIT, MTL retains and sends Henrikson rights to SJ
- Kane to NYR, AZ retains and sends Saarjarvi rights to CHI
- Orlov to BOS, MIN retains and sends Svetlokov rights to BOS
- ROR to Toronto, MIN retains and sends Pillar rights to STL

The CBA doesn’t explain this, but the empirical evidence suggests third party teams engaging in double retention have to send something other than future considerations in return when the original team sends a retained salary player to that third team.

This may involve the NHL not technically allowing “three team trades”. Per media reports three team trades are processed by the NHL as three consecutive separate two team trades.

Last edited:

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
We tried and it was an abomination. Looked like a bad tv show re-boot. They just keep re-hashing the same lines of dialogue so everyone knows what's coming.
Lots of people downplayed what Anisimov meant to that line at its peak

They needed a net front presence and garbage man, he was very effective at both while having enough skill to not kill the play

It’s not a surprise that Kane is doing well with Kreider. He’s exactly the kind of player you want Kane with in a playoff series. Someone who is great at backing off D with speed and good around the net. Zibanegad another with his shot and size.

Reactions: ClydeLee

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I should have phased that better.

Can you find any example of a third team double retention without something other than future considerations being exchanged? The third party team has always sent signing rights to a player.

Just this year:

- Bonino to PIT, MTL retains and sends Henrikson rights to SJ
- Kane to NYR, AZ retains and sends Saarjarvi rights to CHI
- Orlov to BOS, MIN retains and sends Svetlokov rights to BOS
- ROR to Toronto, MIN retains and sends Pillar rights to STL

The CBA doesn’t explain this, but the empirical evidence suggests third party teams engaging in double retention have to send something other than future considerations in return when the original team sends a retained salary player to that third team.

This may involve the NHL not technically allowing “three team trades”. Per media reports three team trades are processed by the NHL as three consecutive separate two team trades.
Hmmm, I see what you're saying, but yes, we know "three team trades" don't actually exist. In the NHL registry they are simply just consecutive two team trades that happen to involve the same player. And by that distinction, shouldn't it not matter if the retention is happening in a three team trade vs a two team trade, as the registry doesn't differentiate.

It definitely seems, through empirical evidence, as you said, that it does not happen in three team trades, but we know that it can happen normally, so I'm really curious how they delineate it.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
He should have two Conn Smythe awards while probably a runner up in 2015 for the thing.

nuff said
n
Blackhawks’ fan here...

JToews wins Conn Smythe
Honorable mentions were DByfuglien 11 goals, 5 gwg and DBriere most points and PKane

PKane wins Conn Smythe
Honorable mention for me were DKrejci most points, Corey Crawford and Bryan Bickell

DKeith wins Conn Smythe
Honourable mention for me were TJohnson, PKane tied most points, and CCrawford

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
n
Blackhawks’ fan here...

JToews wins Conn Smythe
Honorable mentions were DByfuglien 11 goals, 5 gwg and DBriere most points and PKane

PKane wins Conn Smythe
Honorable mention for me were DKrejci most points, Corey Crawford and Bryan Bickell

DKeith wins Conn Smythe
Honourable mention for me were TJohnson, PKane tied most points, and CCrawford

Blackhawks fan here

I just feel while Toews was great for the start of the playoffs he really struggled near the end with only one goal in I believe the final 10 games of the playoffs and it was Kane who won it at the end.

Not to mention it was Kane who saved the Hawks bacon against Nashville with the short handed goal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I apologize if this has been asked 20 times already, but why aren’t Kane and Panarin playing together?
Because NYR fans were the only ones who knew prior to trading that this Panarin/Kane connection was not going to work. Thankfully Gallant had enough of it and split them up. Kane has worked better feeding Kreider and Trocheck who are more likely to shoot and crash the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad