Proposal: NYR-ANA

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think the OP is very close...as @Zegs2sendhelp mentioned, Kakko is the wildcard for the Ducks as well as how much futures PV wants versus already drafted prospects. Nicely done.

Reactions: AirGut

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
That's probably too much to offer. I don't know why you'd go to 2025 for the 1st. Kakko may not be currently a top 6 player, but definitely a solid top 9 guy with plenty of years to reach top 6 potential. Kakko and 2024 2nd would be plenty for 2 seasons of Vatrano and Henrique 1 season rental. To retain 50%, maybe that 2nd becomes a 1st, but more likely to add in a 3rd or 4th on top instead.

As fans, we always think there is going to be more value. Kakko is a much higher trade chip than people think. In 3 years he can be a whole different player. Mika didn't really blossom until about 26, as is the case for many players.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That's probably too much to offer. I don't know why you'd go to 2025 for the 1st. Kakko may not be currently a top 6 player, but definitely a solid top 9 guy with plenty of years to reach top 6 potential. Kakko and 2024 2nd would be plenty for 2 seasons of Vatrano and Henrique 1 season rental. To retain 50%, maybe that 2nd becomes a 1st, but more likely to add in a 3rd or 4th on top instead.

As fans, we always think there is going to be more value. Kakko is a much higher trade chip than people think. In 3 years he can be a whole different player. Mika didn't really blossom until about 26, as is the case for many players.
Like it or not the proposal is pretty easy to break down:
Henrique for 25 1st
Vatrano for Kakko and 24 2nd

Absent one team robbing the other blind, this was a fair offer for both teams.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I was expecting an offer of a bunch of junk but I am surprised to find a reasonable offer

Reactions: Kalv

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No. Absolutely not. Neither Henrique nor Vatrano will get anywhere near the Rangers' PP1 unit, which means they won't put up the kind of production they have been in Anaheim (particularly Vatrano). Without PP time, Vatrano--at his best--is a 30-40 point player. Kakko has shown the ability to be that now, except Kakko is better defensively and is 7 years younger. Henrique would be the 3rd line center in NY, not the first line center he is in Anaheim. Plus, he has no significant playoff experience. His last playoff point was 12 years ago.

These two are picture perfect examples of putting mediocre players on top lines and 1st unit PPs. On a contender, they'd be 3rd liners, but because of their usage, some moron is going to pay a top six premium for a pair of never-weres.

I'd rather see the Rangers target vet depth that isn't over-inflated by PP time and heavy usage and therefore would come at a much cheaper cost. If I'm giving up a 1st, a 2nd, and Kakko, it had damn well better be returning a player under 25 who will be in NY for a while.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
No, let’s not. The value might be fair I guess, I just don’t have any interest in trading for these two. Rangers need a different type of player to fit alongside Kreider and Zibanejad than Vatrano.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
The problem I have with this as a Ducks fan is quantifying what we'd be getting with Kakko. Everything I've been reading says he's very recently become good, finally? Are we taking on a bust? Where does he fit in our rebuild?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The problem I have with this as a Ducks fan is quantifying what we'd be getting with Kakko. Everything I've been reading says he's very recently become good, finally? Are we taking on a bust? Where does he fit in our rebuild?
Kakko put up 37 even strength points last year as a 21/22 year old. Vatrano has never scored 37 ES points in a season, and Henrique has only done it once (almost 15 years ago). If Kakko is a bust, what does that make Vatrano and Henrique?

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
The proposal is fair in terms of value. Henrique and Vatrano are fits for the Rangers, but I try to find another way to make this deal. I’d rather add to the team, not take away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The proposal is fair in terms of value. Henrique and Vatrano are fits for the Rangers, but I try to find another way to make this deal. I’d rather add to the team, not take away.

Exactly. Whether or not it’s fair in value really doesn’t matter, it’s wrong in approach.

The Rangers currently have a hole in top-9 RW and they could use an upgrade at 3C. If they trade Kakko in this deal, you get the upgrade at 3C but are still left with a hole in top-9 RW.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Curious, would Rags fans consider this worth it and how much do you think it would improve your cup chances?
NG for NY
1. we can not and are not trading youth for age [vets]
against bern advice Rs stupidly did win now rentals = epic fail
we simply cannot continue to splurge like that anymore

2. Currency is wrong for NY
We want to keep Kakko. He was not bad as part of kid line w/lesser version of LaF, now redeployed, and Chytil, now out injured. Those are not his fault. Chemistry is real and can be important for youth + vets.
He has good chem now w/Cuylle + Brodz is ok, ok/+ as at minimum a stopgap on a line that is clicking and good.

3. Do not want.
Would love Vats if magically he showed up at unrealistic cost = being given away which ANA properly should not entertain.
We had a chance to extend Vats for close to his current deal.
Against my advice, we took on like 4 pieces of inferior/drek.
That ship has sailed.
And, now we should be giving mins to Othmann + Berard
so no there

4 REALLY do not want.
Henr.
for above + reasons in thread

here is the biz we can do immediately:
BMB [McConnell-Barker] + Vesey
for
Helleson + J. Perreault

why Ducks
neither on the roster
BMB younger, more cost controlled F, good investment to challenge/prompt exit of Strome in 2-ish yrs.
Vesey is productive now.

why Rs
we have zero RD depth
get Helly here now, play, accept growing pains, see if he dan stick.
If no, fine, then continue to develop, if yes put at 3RD + split Trouba betw 3RD and 4RW
J. Per flip to MON for RD Barron

The currency is bad for NY

Vesey is only vet with value we can spare.

Can do youth for youth
Oth + Ber ++
for
Zegras +

that takes from youth but replaces w/youth

some D fans and I disagree that the core of that is sufficient

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Pia8988 and tlk

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
NG for NY
1. we can not and are not trading youth for age [vets]
against bern advice Rs stupidly did win now rentals = epic fail
we simply cannot continue to splurge like that anymore

2. Currency is wrong for NY
We want to keep Kakko. He was not bad as part of kid line w/lesser version of LaF, now redeployed, and Chytil, now out injured. Those are not his fault. Chemistry is real and can be important for youth + vets.
He has good chem now w/Cuylle + Brodz is ok, ok/+ as at minimum a stopgap on a line that is clicking and good.

3. Do not want.
Would love Vats if magically he showed up at unrealistic cost = being given away which ANA properly should not entertain.
We had a chance to extend Vats for close to his current deal.
Against my advice, we took on like 4 pieces of inferior/drek.
That ship has sailed.
And, now we should be giving mins to Othmann + Berard
so no there

4 REALLY do not want.
Henr.
for above + reasons in thread

here is the biz we can do immediately:
BMB [McConnell-Barker] + Vesey
for
Helleson + J. Perreault

why Ducks
neither on the roster
BMB younger, more cost controlled F, good investment to challenge/prompt exit of Strome in 2-ish yrs.
Vesey is productive now.

why Rs
we have zero RD depth
get Helly here now, play, accept growing pains, see if he dan stick.
If no, fine, then continue to develop, if yes put at 3RD + split Trouba betw 3RD and 4RW
J. Per flip to MON for RD Barron

The currency is bad for NY

Vesey is only vet with value we can spare.

Can do youth for youth
Oth + Ber ++
for
Zegras +

that takes from youth but replaces w/youth

some D fans and I disagree that the core of that is sufficient

J. Perreault has reached a point in his development where a change of scenery might be in the cards. Would certainly have no trouble adding him into a deal that requires Anaheim to add for balance purposes. We are a bit too deep in AHL eligible F prospects for next year, may require a move or two. Him and Brayden Tracey are both former 1st rounders that haven't panned out for the Ducks, both expendable at this point.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Kakko is a non-starter for me as…

1. He shouldn’t be moved to make an all-in type move.

2. Contenders don’t take from their rosters to make deals come playoff time unless it’s a massive upgrade at the same position or doesn’t leave a gaping hole elsewhere. The only player who fits that bill is Guentzel and I doubt PIT and NYR are making a trade as they’ve only made 2 in the cap era.

NYR fans thought they were getting Sergachev or Point for McDonagh in 2018 and McDonagh is a far better piece than Varano or Henrique and that didn’t happen. Teams simply don’t subtract from their rosters come deadline time like this anymore. It’s counterproductive.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2