Proposal: NYR 1st OA for Matthews

NYR 1st OA for Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We are win now during Matthews contract.

Dealing him is a rebuild.

The president GM and coach will all be gone before then.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Theres a clear negative tone across other NHL franchises towards the Leafs and Leafs players. It doesnt happen with every fanbase and in some cases they could be right about certain things, but to say it doesnt exist and even on this very site would be hilarious.

Even if you want to discredit other parts of his game (he was actually good defensively this season), he's still scored goals just about as good as anyone else when you factor in oppurtunity and thats immensely value considering scoring goals is the hardest thing to do.

Malkin is a phemonial player no doubt but noone even knows what Matthews will develop into. He is still a guy that can use his size more often and develop a mean streak (Joe Thornton didnt until later in his career). We just saw the unreal leap Mackinnon made from ages 22-25 and it wouldnt suprise me if something similar happened with Matthews.

His under usage early in his career cant be talked about enough when thinking about what his offensive ceiling is.
The negative tone I don't know about as much as a Leafs fan I suppose. As per what he might become sure he has the potential but were not speaking of potential were speaking today. Again this is just my opinion but Malkin is much more complete player then Matthews. That is no disrespect to Matthews as let's be honest Malkin is one of the best ever.

Will Matthews never improve course not but speaking today no, in my opinion, he is not similar to Malkin.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Wasn't trolling but hey whatever read the rest of the posts after.
Just the “player getting his tires pumped by a large fan base” will rub people the wrong way on our own forum. Stick to constructive conversation and you’ll be able to post here. If a leafs fan did that anywhere on this board we would see an infraction. Trust me.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Said this in the last thread with a suggestion of this nature but still relevant here....

Whats the line from Tropic Thunder... you never go.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad