Proposal: NYR 1st OA for Matthews

NYR 1st OA for Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Stamkos doesn't have the diverse shot tools in his arsenal. Matthews is elite at deflections, wrist shots, snap shots, he's got it all. Stamkos doesnt' play center either.
Matthews is also bigger and has a great stick, pretty sure he had a season where he was top 10 in takeaways. But the biggest thing he has on Stamkos is probably his even strength goal scoring ability. Matthews is the best even strength goal scorer in the league only Mcdavid is on his level in that category.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I had to watch the Leafs in between Sundin and Matthews and no fan in their right god damn mind would ever trade Matthews for anything less than McDavid. This is not only a bad proposal but also seriously embarrassing. With a fan base this large, millions of fans worldwide, someone out there has to be the dumbest Leaf fan of all time. I'm not saying it's you OP, but I haven't seen anything this bad in quite some time.

Reactions: Kazinski

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Stamkos doesn't have the diverse shot tools in his arsenal. Matthews is elite at deflections, wrist shots, snap shots, he's got it all. Stamkos doesnt' play center either.

Stamkos has had a 60 goal season, a 51 goal season and has a career 16.9s% so his shot tools seem pretty comparable. He has hit 95 points three times including his first at age 19 and was a full time center for 8 years with 49.9% career on faceoffs. Matthews is better on the dot and Stammer hits more so they aren't clones but in terms of scoring results I don't think there is a closer match for their first few years. Physically Malkin looks more similar but I can't picture Matty ever having a 35g and 78 assist season.

Stamkos 19 year old season he had 95 points and has never hit more than 98. I could see Matthews managing a 55-55-110 year but he could also spend his career topping out at 95ish unless he gets stacked linemates and more ice time. Two assists per goal so shoot first guys don't generate the assist totals of most scoring champions.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
7B1C1B2E-EA14-4D5C-AB40-C6C10244843F.gif

Reactions: weems

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
NYR 1st OA for Matthews... we fix our cap problems, we fix our LW, we fix the power forward situation, JT slots into the 1st line, with Marner and Lafreniere .. all problems solved ...

We now have cap to work on our Defence, we sign Alex Petro, BAM the world is good in La Leaf Land....

FRIG I'M A GREAT GM!!!!

One of the hardest players to acquire is a first line center and you want to give that away on a winger that could possibly become great player. By the way Mathews is developing into a great player himself.

This is genius of you. Now all we would have to find is a first line center to play with this hopefully great winger through his prime.

Just genius

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
So you're asking if we should trade a bonafide #1 center, who's realized his projected potential, who finished 2nd in the rocket race in the seasons he was healthy and who is easily the best player on this team for a 1st overall winger on an ELC who might still have an outside chance of busting just to create cap space?

QbKU6Q3.gif

Lappy might turn out to be a superstar, but you can just as easily create cap room by trade guys like Willy to bring D-men. This makes no sense.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I know you'll never agree but no he's not close to Malkin. Matthews is a very good player that's got his tires pumped beyond expectations of a very large fan base.

More like he's a insane player thats already scored goals at a truly elite pace and was never given superstar minutes until recently and hes still only 22.

He didnt even play on the teams first PP in his first few seasons.

If he played on some random American team, there wouldnt nearly be as much negative attention and most would just be talking about how he looked like a different player under Sheldon Keefe.

The truth is that he was never even deployed like a star player under Babcock and it definitely effected his offensive numbers.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
More like he's a insane player thats already scored goals at a truly elite pace and was never given superstar minutes until recently and hes still only 22.

He didnt even play on the teams first PP in his first few seasons.

If he played on some random American team, there wouldnt nearly be as much negative attention and most would just be talking about how he looked like a different player under Sheldon Keefe.

The truth is that he was never even deployed like a star player under Babcock and it definitely effected his numbers.
Has nothing to do playing on some random USA team as Toronto media is bigger than any for NHL. As per insane player, I'd change that to insane goal scorer as that's more accurate. Now getting back to comparing him to Malkin sorry he's not the same player. I'm not saying he's not a great player as he is one of the best in the league but he's not on Malkin tier at least yet. As per the PP deployment that's on Babcock and rest of Leafs coaching staff and I'm kind of bewildered myself why he wasn't used more there.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Matthews only moves for Mcdavid and that isn't happening. He could leave in 4 years but I guess we'll have to wait for that.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Has nothing to do playing on some random USA team as Toronto media is bigger than any for NHL. As per insane player, I'd change that to insane goal scorer as that's more accurate. Now getting back to comparing him to Malkin sorry he's not the same player. I'm not saying he's not a great player as he is one of the best in the league but he's not on Malkin tier at least yet. As per the PP deployment that's on Babcock and rest of Leafs coaching staff and I'm kind of bewildered myself why he wasn't used more there.

Theres a clear negative tone across other NHL franchises towards the Leafs and Leafs players. It doesnt happen with every fanbase and in some cases they could be right about certain things, but to say it doesnt exist and even on this very site would be hilarious.

Even if you want to discredit other parts of his game (he was actually good defensively this season), he's still scored goals just about as good as anyone else when you factor in oppurtunity and thats immensely value considering scoring goals is the hardest thing to do.

Malkin is a phemonial player no doubt but noone even knows what Matthews will develop into. He is still a guy that can use his size more often and develop a mean streak (Joe Thornton didnt until later in his career). We just saw the unreal leap Mackinnon made from ages 22-25 and it wouldnt suprise me if something similar happened with Matthews.

His under usage early in his career cant be talked about enough when thinking about what his offensive ceiling is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad