News Article: Canucks D Quinn Hughes nominated for the James Norris Memorial Trophy

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I've been a fan since Paul Reinhart days and through the Lumme/Brown, Jovo/Ohlund/Salo, Elder/Bieksa eras, always dreamed of having an elite offensive d-man on the team. I just wanted someone who could crack 60 points on a regular basis. And now we got Quinn who's just topped 90 - just wow.

Hughes is just such a treat to watch. This is really the first season I can think of where he's had some defensive depth around him. I'm looking forward to watching him continue the magic and shatter the points record in short order.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
That's a great cohort to be considered as the best of. Amazing season, and he'll be the reason the team gets out of round 1. Stepped it up big time as the Captain as well. Didn't let the responsibility negatively effect his play. Amazing player and worthy to win it.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Way to go, Huggy!

It'll be a surprise if he doesn't win this for his performance this year, but stranger things have happened.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There was an idiot with a vote who said he prefers Makar because of Makar's goal totals, so I expect at least one.

The fact that someone who is paid to write about hockey can confidently opine that a mere 4 more goals is justification for voting one defenseman better than another certainly says something about the respectability of the voting process.

Reactions: Indiana

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
it'll be a joke if makar or josi receive any first place votes
I am okay with a vote for Josi here or there he has also been very good this season. But we better be changing this thread title to: Canucks D Quinn Hughes Wins the James Norris Memorial Trophy.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
About to be the first Norris winner in Franchise history
If so, the team will only have not had a player win the Vezina, Lady Byng, Masterton, Conn Smythe, and Cup. And Richard if you only include winners since the award was established, which would exclude Bure.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Vegas has Hughes as a slam dunk to win FWIW. Around -500 to -600 for Hughes (bet $500 - $600 to profit $100) with Makar in second at between +350 to +450 (bet $100 to get $350 to $450).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hughes better win or someone is getting whipped with a car antenna.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There are always folks who are out of date, don't follow closely and have preset opinions. I expect Hughes to win but that Makar will get multiple first place votes.
Makar should be 3rd (out of these three) in voting with the awful defensive season he has had.

If so, the team will only have not had a player win the Vezina, Lady Byng, Masterton, Conn Smythe, and Cup. And Richard if you only include winners since the award was established, which would exclude Bure.
What about Mark Messier's awesome leadership award?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Makar should be 3rd (out of these three) in voting with the awful defensive season he has had.
I wouldn't place Makar in the top three (and reading your words I suspect you wouldn't either) but expect there will still be voters who place him first on reputation and points per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad