Proposal: NYR 1st OA for Matthews

NYR 1st OA for Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
NYR 1st OA for Matthews... we fix our cap problems, we fix our LW, we fix the power forward situation, JT slots into the 1st line, with Marner and Lafreniere .. all problems solved ...

We now have cap to work on our Defence, we sign Alex Petro, BAM the world is good in La Leaf Land....

FRIG I'M A GREAT GM!!!!

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
tenor.gif

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Laf has Taylor Hall potential, Matthews is already on a whole other level than that. there aren’t many comparables to what Matthews is, Malkin is probably the most similar player I can think of.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Laf has Taylor Hall potential, Matthews is already on a whole other level than that. there aren’t many comparables to what Matthews is, Malkin is probably the most similar player I can think of.
Um ya how exactly are they similar other than size and position? Malkin is head and shoulders above Matthews sorry. As per OP not happening Leafs need to find ways to surround Mattews with complimentary players not trade him.

Edit, Malkin is not the same player I might add since his prime but Matthews is shoot first centre that has never dished the puck as Malkin has.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Um ya how exactly are they similar other than size and position? Malkin is head and shoulders above Matthews sorry. As per OP not happening Leafs need to find ways to surround Mattews with complimentary players not trade him.

Edit, Malkin is not the same player I might add since his prime but Matthews is shoot first centre that has never dished the puck as Malkin has.
I agree they have some differences that’s why I said there are no good comparables to Matthews he’s unique and unlike any other player, Malkin is the closest by default. Who do you think is the closest to Matthews?

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm all for signing Pietrangelo to help the RD. I'm not nearly as fond of the idea of moving the team's best player as a way to fix any cap problems.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Horrific. If everything goes right in his development, Lafreniere will be slightly less valuable than Matthews, since he's not a centre and will never score as much. So basically you're trading the face of the franchise for a guy that will likely be significantly less valuable, and has a marginal chance of being only slightly less valuable.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Am I crazy to say that even if Leafs offered this, Rangers say no? I wouldn’t trade a chance to draft 1st overall for only 4 more years of Matthews at 11.6 a season (depends on my needs, of course). Maybe if Arizona had the 1st pick.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I agree they have some differences that’s why I said there are no good comparables to Matthews he’s unique and unlike any other player, Malkin is the closest by default. Who do you think is the closest to Matthews?
Honestly, I'm not sure but though I might be ways off shoot first centre would be someone like Stamkos. However I know they nothing alike really other than the shoot first. Kesler was another shoot first centre but was not close to as good offensively. You got me it is hard to find a comparable really. I'm sure someone else could think of someone though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Am I crazy to say that even if Leafs offered this, Rangers say no? I wouldn’t trade a chance to draft 1st overall for only 4 more years of Matthews at 11.6 a season (depends on my needs, of course). Maybe if Arizona had the 1st pick.
Rangers would say yes considering Lafy is a winger. Leafs would shut off the phone if Rangers offered it.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This thread could be salvaged if you change Matthews to Marner and + to the 1st. (not saying I would go for that offer, just that it can generate a better discussion)

Reactions: glue

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nawwwwwwwt a good idea, but Marner for #5/Norris (and Pietrangelo plus with the cap) I highly consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad