Value of: Nylander (TOR) for a Dman

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Not that the AVS would even entertain trading him but Erik Johnson would instantly become the Leafs' #1 dman and he's signed for 5 more years at a reasonable cap hit. I don't think "****ing suck" applies but that's just me.
He'd be our #3.

Lol where do you guys come up with this shit

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I love when the creator of a topics like this says: im ready to add to Player X but dont want lesser pieces back.
If I have a D-man to trade and the value is not Nylander straight up, I want a better player then Nylander, not more pieces.
Signed: 30 NHL teams.

Damn dude, that's some lofty expectations.

The player being offered has scored at a 73% clip (60 points) before his 22nd birthday.

What else?
He's restricted for 5+ more years so acquiring team would maintain control of said player.
He's been very healthy.
He's an ES goal-scorer so he's not a one-trick PP pony.

I'm sure there are several players better than Nylander that may be available *rolls eyes*

Reactions: Liferleafer

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Did the whole Bruins team lose value after that sad-sack 2nd round drubbing?

If the kid doesn't have the minerals to withstand the playoffs amped up intensity physical-wise, you better believe that his value is lower. Willy was terrified out there.
Now find me any Bruins players who were shaking in their boots, à la Nylander.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Damn dude, that's some lofty expectations.

The player being offered has scored at a 73% clip (60 points) before his 22nd birthday.

What else?
He's restricted for 5+ more years so acquiring team would maintain control of said player.
He's been very healthy.
He's an ES goal-scorer so he's not a one-trick PP pony.

I'm sure there are several players better than Nylander that may be available *rolls eyes*

Well, not lofty really, if I have a d-man worth more then Nylander, lets say Jones, Im sure want a better player then Nylander as a main piece, Im I wrong?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The only D I'd be interested in if Nylander was involved in a trade is Doughty. Throw in Jake Gardiner and a 2nd and away we go.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can circle back to Weber at some point if you want. Yeah, I know he is age 33 next year. But Like I said before. If not Weber, who? That's the issue. Teams are not lining up to help the Leafs address their needs. I saw someone say Hamilton from the Flames. That's sounds like a solid 1/1 flip for Nylander but he is 3 years away from UFA. Is that the guy you want? Are the Flames interested in a 1/1 swap?

Nylander wouldn't be on the table for Weber.

I'd have some interest in Weber I guess

Zaitsev
1st 2018
Kapanen/Brown (your choice)
Rasanen (6'7, 2nd round choice of ours in last draft)
Conditional 2019 pick, if Toronto advances to the 2nd round, Montreal gets our 2019 2nd, if Toronto finishes in the final 4 or better, Montreal gets the 2019 1st.

I don't think Dubas would and I don't see Habs management giving up on competing and rebuilding. Bergevin will likely fail again this year and then be fired. New GM will rebuild.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If the kid doesn't have the minerals to withstand the playoffs amped up intensity physical-wise, you better believe that his value is lower. Willy was terrified out there.

If the kid is shaking was his boots and scored 4 points, imagine how good he'll be when he gets over those young player jitters and becomes a veteran. He wasn't at his best, but this is silly and inflammatory. Not that I really want to entertain the notion that he was a scared kitten, that's just ridiculous. He had two assists in game 7 against your much bragged-about defense, he'll be fine.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Well, not lofty really, if I have a d-man worth more then Nylander, lets say Jones, Im sure want a better player then Nylander as a main piece, Im I wrong?

Sure, but I don't even see Seth Jones's name included in the interested list, or any other in the OP.

One of the names that's missing is Jacob Slavvin, for example.

One thing the list is missing, though, are actual fits for Willy Nilly. I like Trouba, for example, but I don't think the Jets need another forward (Nylander is a winger today but I'd reckon to say that he will wind up as a center in the future, while Marner remains a RW).

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Sure, but I don't even see Seth Jones's name included in the interested list, or any other in the OP.

One of the names that's missing is Jacob Slavvin, for example.

One thing the list is missing, though, are actual fits for Willy Nilly. I like Trouba, for example, but I don't think the Jets need another forward (Nylander is a winger today but I'd reckon to say that he will wind up as a center in the future, while Marner remains a RW).
This coming season it is make or break it for Willy if he wanna be a center or not. For Team Sweden it is vital he take that step, since we lack high end centers for Beijing (Im pretty sure NHL wants the chinese market)

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Soft one dimensional wingers are only worth more than top pairing D-men in Toronto. That's why the Leafs have such a great D corps.:sarcasm:
That soft one dimensional winger would be the second best winger on your team by far. Leafs are not in the business of trading a 21 year old proven first line player with ppg potential as a center. Especially if the offers (like the ones in here) are straight up garbage.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If the kid is shaking was his boots and scored 4 points, imagine how good he'll be when he gets over those young player jitters and becomes a veteran. He wasn't at his best, but this is silly and inflammatory. Not that I really want to entertain the notion that he was a scared kitten, that's just ridiculous. He had two assists in game 7 against your much bragged-about defense, he'll be fine.

IF he gets over those young player jitters... And 4 points in 7 games isn't something to be writing home about. Insufficient performance from someone expected to be this amazing foudre de guerre.

By the way... Marner was literally pummeled all series and yet was dominant: the best and most dangerous player on the Leafs, by leaps and bounds.
Nylander? Hell yeah he was scared out there. Didn't want to be anywhere near where he could get hit.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
That soft one dimensional winger would be the second best winger on your team by far. Leafs are not in the business of trading a 21 year old proven first line player with ppg potential as a center. Especially if the offers (like the ones in here) are straight up garbage.
Ha ha ha.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Nylander would be the 5th best winger on the Jets at best. Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers and Connor are all far better than Nylander.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A Kyle Dubas led Leafs team isn’t going to trade a player like Nylander, and certainly not during his first offseason as Gm.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
IF he gets over those young player jitters... And 4 points in 7 games isn't something to be writing home about. Insufficient performance from someone expected to be this amazing foudre de guerre.

By the way... Marner was literally pummeled all series and yet was dominant: the best and most dangerous player on the Leafs, by leaps and bounds.
Nylander? Hell yeah he was scared out there. Didn't want to be anywhere near where he could get hit.

My friend, you're the one who's telling me that a 22 year old might not improve. I'm not going to argue against that, I know we both know the arguments and have better things to do than type them out. By the way, Danton Heinen and his one point/healthy scrathes fits the bill for a Bruin who was shaking in their boots. Do we expect Heinen to be a playoff disaster? Or can we extend the courtesy of optimism towards both of these younger players.

Marner being fantastic does not actually change Nylander's outlook in the future. Marner was definitely the best Leaf while both Matthews and Nylander struggled, I'm not arguing that they didn't.

Nylander tends to be a perimeter player even in the regular season. It's one of the biggest needs for improvement in his game. With his slick hands and skating, I'm always begging at the TV for him to drop the shoulder and take the puck to the net instead of looping around and passing it back to the point for the 10th time. He's trying to back the defenders off for a clear point shot where Matthews or Hyman can score in tight. It gets points, but adding the net drive and making the pass/play down low himself would give him more options and be a big improvement. He didn't play well against you guys, but I didn't see him as playing a different style in the playoffs than he has so far in the regular season. Is this perimeter style good in the playoffs? Not particularly. If he doesn't improve, will he continue to struggle in the playoffs? Probably. Do I expect him to improve there? Absolutely, he's 22 and constantly improving his game.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Lol. Nylander was and will be fine. He didn't play to his capability and yet still had 4pts in 7 games. He'll learn from it and be better. He had a bad start the series as did the whole team but found his game as things progressed.

Whatever makes you feel better though I guess. Granted, We may have lost that round to you guys, but we also were never picked to win by virtually anyone. After two lopsided wins in Boston where the Leafs admittedly didn't show up, the mighty Bruins lost 7 of their next 10 games. Impressive.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
IF Dubas decides that trading Nylander for a high end defenseman is best for the Leafs long term, who could Toronto possibly get and who would realistically be available? Ideally it's somebody who could partner well with Morgan Rielly.

CRITERIA
- top 4 D
- real #1/2 potential
- must be under 30
- must skate reasonably well
- must have okay advanced stats
- must have (some) shutdown ability

Leafs are looking for a VERY good player here, or there's no reason at all to trade Nylander. Deal might be straight up or with Toronto adding, but no packages of lesser pieces in exchange for Nylander.

NOT INTERESTED
- Yandle (age, shutdown)
- Weber (age, speed)
- Karlsson (salary cap, 2019 UFA)
- McDonagh (without extension)
- Letang (doesn't use his brain)
- Barrie (shutdown, upside)
- Ellis (shutdown, upside)
- Myers (upside, 2019 UFA)
- Ekman-Larsson (2019 UFA)
- Brodie (has been regressing)
- Doughty (without extension)

(MAYBE) HAVE INTEREST
- Ristolainen
- Ekblad
- E Johnson
- Subban
- Trouba
- Lindholm
- Fowler
- Hamilton
- Larsson
- Burns

Some names of players I feel are (A) just not quite "high end" enough to part with Nylander OR (B) have completely developed and might be worth less than Nylander's high end potential...

Carlo, Ceci, Faulk, Severson, Hamonic, Gudas, Maatta, Niskanen, Brodin, Dumba, Klefbom, Tanev
Nylander will not get a high end Dman. He is to soft for the playoffs and other teams can see that.

Reactions: Snowman

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He'd be our #3.

Lol where do you guys come up with this ****
Erik Johnson is, at worst, almost as good as Rielly and better than any other Leafs defenseman. At best, he's our clear cut #1D.

I'm a Toronto fan by the way. How good a player is isn't always related to how much they are talked about, how many points they score, how flashy they play or how many highlight reels they make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad