Value of: Nylander (TOR) for a Dman

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How is Nylander any softer than any other high-skill young forward?
Not saying that they should trade him, or that these are good proposals.

But Nylander is absolutely softer than some other young high-end talents like: Mackinnon,Barkov, Draisaitl, McDavid, Eichel, Laine, Tkachuk, Dubois, Puljujarvi.

Just glancing over some of the top picks in the last couple drafts, the only other really high end talents that are as soft as Nylander are Matthews and Ehlers.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Fair enough but I disagree that in a vaccuum he'll get a middle pairing guy 1 for 1.
A kid who put up a PPG+ in the AHL and then followed up with back-to-back 60+ pts season in the NHL would be the main piece (with adds of course) for a #1D or a young bluechip dman with #1D upside.
Find a list of players with his resume and you'll see the company he's in.
The only guys (imo) that fit the criteria you are laying out are: Provorov, Werenski, Jones, Parakyo, and Dahlin. And Nylander isn't close in value to any of them.

A more realistic trade is for a good #3 like Dumba (young RHD with upside) and potentially top pairing kinda guy, just doesnt have it to be a true #1 d. Not a trade I'm saying the leafs should make, just a little more realistic of a goal

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I love the fact that the OP wouldn't trade Nylander for Karlsson. Tells you just how seriously to take his opinion.
Karlsson's next contract is going to be over $10M, and IMO after his ankle injury he may never be the same player again. It's a BIG risk and I predict the contract will be considered too much AAV within a few years.

Additionally, two of our best D are skating scoring types like Karlsson. Toronto's blueline ideally needs some diversity of playstyle. We could really use a big two way guy who excels defensively. Bonus if he is plays physical.

YES I would like Karlsson on the Leafs. NO I would not want to pay the assets to acquire him or pay his new cap hit. It's not worth it based on our team needs.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Nylander will not get a high end Dman. He is to soft for the playoffs and other teams can see that.

Why are you so obsessed with the leafs if you hate them. I kind of feel bad for you. You should worry about your own garbage team filled with plugs and softies!

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I’d trade Nylander in a deal for the following...

Ekman-Larsson
Slavin
Pesce
Doughty
Pieterangelo
Parayko
Trouba
Provorov
Gostisbehere
Ristolainen
McAvoy
Jones
Klingberg
Subban
Josi
Burns

Other Dmen I’d target but not for Nylander...

Faulk
Hanifin
Johnson
Barrie
Johns
Honka
Klefbom
Larsson
Petrovic
Pysyk
Ellis
Severson
Gudas
Sanhiem
Myers
Stralman
Bowey
McDonagh
Keith

Reactions: remote

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Ekman-Larsson
Slavin
Pesce
Doughty
Pieterangelo
Parayko
Trouba
Provorov
Gostisbehere
Ristolainen
McAvoy
Jones
Klingberg
Subban
Josi
Burns

Faulk
Hanifin
Johnson
Barrie
Johns
Honka
Klefbom
Larsson
Petrovic
Pysyk
Ellis
Severson
Gudas
Sanhiem
Myers
Stralman
Bowey
McDonagh
Keith

pass on Ekman-Larsson

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
My friend, you're the one who's telling me that a 22 year old might not improve. I'm not going to argue against that, I know we both know the arguments and have better things to do than type them out. By the way, Danton Heinen and his one point/healthy scrathes fits the bill for a Bruin who was shaking in their boots. Do we expect Heinen to be a playoff disaster? Or can we extend the courtesy of optimism towards both of these younger players.

Marner being fantastic does not actually change Nylander's outlook in the future. Marner was definitely the best Leaf while both Matthews and Nylander struggled, I'm not arguing that they didn't.

Nylander tends to be a perimeter player even in the regular season. It's one of the biggest needs for improvement in his game. With his slick hands and skating, I'm always begging at the TV for him to drop the shoulder and take the puck to the net instead of looping around and passing it back to the point for the 10th time. He's trying to back the defenders off for a clear point shot where Matthews or Hyman can score in tight. It gets points, but adding the net drive and making the pass/play down low himself would give him more options and be a big improvement. He didn't play well against you guys, but I didn't see him as playing a different style in the playoffs than he has so far in the regular season. Is this perimeter style good in the playoffs? Not particularly. If he doesn't improve, will he continue to struggle in the playoffs? Probably. Do I expect him to improve there? Absolutely, he's 22 and constantly improving his game.

Danton Heinen - a rookie, by the way - didn't stop trying to make plays because of fear of physical contact, like Nylander did. By the way, isn't talking about Heinen a little OT here? He got nothing to do with Nylander and fearing the opponents' physical play. As I said, no Bruins showed a terror similar to what Nylander displayed.

I also never said that Nylander "might not improve": with that bolded "IF", I was saying that it's not guaranteed that he most definitely will improve.
As far as is CURRENT trade value, there's a player who is a 60 points winger (not yet an established center), who has shown he can be neutralized relatively easily with increased physicality. This kind of player will not return any of those names mentioned in the original post I responded to.

Of course Nylander has space to improve. Why not? But he's not on a favorable path IF he continues to be a perimeter player (your definition and a good one at that) and easy to be put off his game by physical play. As far as his current value is concerned, this synopsis of his play makes me absolutely skeptical with the idea he could return a top notch young defenseman or a veteran elite D signed to a long term contract. I guess we will have to disagree.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Lol. Nylander was and will be fine. He didn't play to his capability and yet still had 4pts in 7 games. He'll learn from it and be better. He had a bad start the series as did the whole team but found his game as things progressed.

Whatever makes you feel better though I guess. Granted, We may have lost that round to you guys, but we also were never picked to win by virtually anyone. After two lopsided wins in Boston where the Leafs admittedly didn't show up, the mighty Bruins lost 7 of their next 10 games. Impressive.

I just want to make sure that you understand how it is literally impossible for your beloved Leafs to come out on top of anything when winning is concerned. I suggest that you abandon this line of action before you get reminded of the lack of success of your team in the last, say, two generations-worth of memories. Suffice to say that the Bruins have been and are superior to the Leafs.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Ekman-Larsson
Slavin
Pesce
Doughty
Pieterangelo
Parayko
Trouba
Provorov
Gostisbehere
Ristolainen
McAvoy
Jones
Klingberg
Subban
Josi
Burns

Faulk
Hanifin
Johnson
Barrie
Johns
Honka
Klefbom
Larsson
Petrovic
Pysyk
Ellis
Severson
Gudas
Sanhiem
Myers
Stralman
Bowey
McDonagh
Keith

The first list is probably 90% a pipe dream. From the Bruins, the only name that could be worth what's needed to pry away McAvoy is Matthews.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I just want to make sure that you understand how it is literally impossible for your beloved Leafs to come out on top of anything when winning is concerned. I suggest that you abandon this line of action before you get reminded of the lack of success of your team in the last, say, two generations-worth of memories. Suffice to say that the Bruins have been and are superior to the Leafs.

The Bruins had a better year. Good for them. Also the issues that plagued the last couple generations of Leafs have precisely nothing to do with the group we have today.

My point was merely you really don't have anything to be so smug about. Ultimately your "superior team" barely beat us and won just 2 more playoff games than we did.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Bruins had a better year. Good for them. Also the issues that plagued the last couple generations of Leafs have precisely nothing to do with the group we have today.

My point was merely you really don't have anything to be so smug about. Ultimately your "superior team" barely beat us and won just 2 more playoff games than we did.

Better than the Leafs = confirmed, then. Glad we're on the same page.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leafs don't value Larsson that much, even though a young defensive RHD who plays with some grit is exactly what they need. Regardless, *Toronto doesnt want to give up Nylander, and even if Edmonton wanted to, they couldn't afford to lose their only RHD

*Some TOR fans.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Honest question, in a thread about trading Nylander fir D, who gives a flying **** about your evaluation of the Bruins vs Leafs?

Maybe if you read the whole exchange, you would have avoided writing an incredibly silly question.

I have been REPLYING to inputs from LEAFS fans.
I can't help it if saying that Nylander & his fear of physical play hurts his trade value triggers the usual suspects who then try some very weak chirp about the Bruins vs the Leafs.

So ask this question you asked me to your fellow Leafs fans, come off sounding smart this time = profit.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Danton Heinen - a rookie, by the way - didn't stop trying to make plays because of fear of physical contact, like Nylander did. By the way, isn't talking about Heinen a little OT here? He got nothing to do with Nylander and fearing the opponents' physical play. As I said, no Bruins showed a terror similar to what Nylander displayed.

I also never said that Nylander "might not improve": with that bolded "IF", I was saying that it's not guaranteed that he most definitely will improve.
As far as is CURRENT trade value, there's a player who is a 60 points winger (not yet an established center), who has shown he can be neutralized relatively easily with increased physicality. This kind of player will not return any of those names mentioned in the original post I responded to.

Of course Nylander has space to improve. Why not? But he's not on a favorable path IF he continues to be a perimeter player (your definition and a good one at that) and easy to be put off his game by physical play. As far as his current value is concerned, this synopsis of his play makes me absolutely skeptical with the idea he could return a top notch young defenseman or a veteran elite D signed to a long term contract. I guess we will have to disagree.

William Nylander, a sophomore who is younger than Heinen, didn't stop trying to make plays, he plays that way all year round. There is no terror there, that is literally the way that he plays in the NHL. That's the point that I'm making here. The kid had 4 points, he was not neutralized and if we're talking about playing against one of the best defences in the league (which I think you're pretty proud of) that hardly constitutes as easy. He was literally playing against your top pairing and line for most of the series. I'd have loved to have seen Matthews and Nylander tear Chara and Bergeron a new one, but to the surprise of nobody, the strong defense of the Bruins helped "neutralize" their production. I have a problem when on one hand the Bruins are an elite defensive team and on the other Nylander is a scrub who put up only 4 points and looked like a chicken.

Nikita Kucherov is almost a PPG player in the playoffs and had 17 points in 17 games this year. He had two of those against the Bruins.

Nylander has had 8 points in 13 playoff games before he turned 22. His value has not changed one bit because he didn't go to the net against the Bruins. His upside is as a 70+ point capable centre, that is why he has the value of a very good defenseman. If the Leafs can't get that, they won't trade him. I very much do not want them to trade him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
William Nylander, a sophomore who is younger than Heinen, didn't stop trying to make plays, he plays that way all year round. There is no terror there, that is literally the way that he plays in the NHL. That's the point that I'm making here. The kid had 4 points, he was not neutralized and if we're talking about playing against one of the best defences in the league (which I think you're pretty proud of) that hardly constitutes as easy. He was literally playing against your top pairing and line for most of the series. I'd have loved to have seen Matthews and Nylander tear Chara and Bergeron a new one, but to the surprise of nobody, the strong defense of the Bruins helped "neutralize" their production. I have a problem when on one hand the Bruins are an elite defensive team and on the other Nylander is a scrub who put up only 4 points and looked like a chicken.

Nikita Kucherov is almost a PPG player in the playoffs and had 17 points in 17 games this year. He had two of those against the Bruins.

Nylander has had 8 points in 13 playoff games before he turned 22. His value has not changed one bit because he didn't go to the net against the Bruins. His upside is as a 70+ point capable centre, that is why he has the value of a very good defenseman. If the Leafs can't get that, they won't trade him. I very much do not want them to trade him.
Well said.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad